SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > thread ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
thread
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 2:34 PM

I haven't brought much of this lately as I have so much of it but : went browsing and can't believe how much it's gone up. Glad I stocked (hoarded) up lol.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 5/30/12 3:03 PM

Hasn't everything gone up in price.. but I would think that if the thread is cotton or silk in particular the price would have gone up.. as cotton prices went up anyhow.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 3:54 PM

Well I have plenty. When I work at Joanns some 18 years ago now. I was in charge of ordering the thread and the notions. I really enjoyed the thread department.The only thread they had back then was Coats and Clark. I wonder why now that thread has such a bad rep. I never had a problem with it. When I got my Janome it was like a sin to use it in that machine. It was supposed to be too linty and would cause problems. I like Egyptian cotton these days.

------

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 6:22 PM

I love the C&C machine quilting thread. And the COnnecting Threads sets. They are made in India and are very nice. OF COURSE I love Superior Threads King Tut and Masterpiece, but they are pretty costly threads. I wish I had about 1000 of the Masterpiece bobbins.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 5/30/12 8:27 PM

I have some of the C&C machine quilting thread and have no complaints. I LOVE the colors of the Connecting Threads sets. I finally broke down and bought some because I just couldn't stand it.

------
Barb

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 5/31/12 8:57 AM

yeah I was lusting over the threads at Connecting threads yesterday.

------

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 5/31/12 12:22 PM

Every time I buy anything in the way of sewing stuff I experience sticker shock from buying and hoarding from the 1970s til now and I am really happy that I was so excessive whenever a huge bargain presented itself. I love it when I find what I need in the sewing store I maintain for myself and usually need smelling salts when I buy some wierd color or specialty thread. If I had to pay full price for everything I stitched I wouldn't enjoy sewing as much when I figured up what the project cost as I am stuck back in yesteryear prices. Lol! Of course I don't apply that old logic to new machines and gadgets which I probably should. People sewing at home get the worst prices on every thing they use to stitch something up. There would be no factory sewing in China and other places if the raw materials cost what the home sewer pays. I agree with you totally-glad I have hoarded as well from cheaper days.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/31/12 12:55 PM

Warning. THIS thread may be a thin disguise for enabling. Do Not Panic..
Just continue using ALL your half off coupons for thread as soon as possible. More coupons can be printed on line..

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 5/31/12 3:09 PM

One thing about thread hoarding though it does go bad. Especially the cotton. I used to have a healthy collection of poly covered cotton then all the quilting police screamed OH NO can't use poly cotton on 100% cotton fabric will rip through in time. So I got rid of most of my poly cotton since I no longer made clothing and was always mostly using 100% cotton fabrics. I have about 20 spools of cotton in various colors but if truth be known when I piece I mainly use beige thread. So I really have no need of any new thread purchases right now. I think tonight will go home and look at what I actually have besides embroidery threads, I know I don't need any more of them lol

------

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 5/31/12 3:24 PM

Is the poly rule universal or only for quilting and binding? People who taught my quilting class indicated that you could use whatever you wanted for piecing, but cotton was king for quilting and binding.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> thread

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

New Look 6120

photo
by: sewrose

Review
Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

More Info
Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

More Info
McCall's 8258

photo
by: House of P...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.