Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Anyone know of a tutorial for knit binding on a square neckline? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Anyone know of a tutorial for knit binding on a square neckline?
Or just some photos would help.
marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 5/31/12 1:54 PM

I'm working on drafting neckline variations for a TNT knit dress, and want to try a square neck with a self binding.

Does anyone know of a tutorial, or some photos on a review or blog that can clue me in on sewing a mitered knit binding? Thanks!

(I've looked over the Jalie website, and didn't find anything specifically for a square neckline. However, the technique in
this Jalie video tutorial for V-necks shows how to overlap the ends of the binding at the V point, rather than mitering. Has anyone tried this for a square-neck? Does it seem like it would work OK, or do you think the binding would pull apart at the corners where it's not mitered?)

------
marjoriekh

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 5/31/12 3:42 PM

I'm going to suggest a combination of two tutorials:

Neckline Binding Turorial. Note that this basic technique can be used for both wovens and knits. This tutorial discussed how to bind a rounded knit neckline.

Double-fold Bias Tape and Square Neckline Tutorial. This tutorial shows how to bind a square neckline on a woven with woven bias tape. This is a technique that can be found in More Power Sewing by Sandra Betzina. The author of the tutorial mentions that this is where she was exposed to this technique.

The last photo in this tutorial shows how to sew the "square" miter into the binding. See how she has sewn a "V" in the wrong side of the binding. My recollection of the More Power Sewing technique is that you then need to clip that "V" to the inner corner of the "V" without cutting the stitches.

Whether you do a fold over binding, as in the first tutorial, or you choose to sew the binding on like ribbing, sewing that "V" into the binding or ribbing is what will give that square "inside corner" in the binding/ribbing.

CMC

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 5/31/12 5:30 PM

Thanks, CMC, for those links. I've used the second method on wovens with success, and I'll probably give it a try.

Being lazy, I am still hoping that there is an easy method just for knits that I can do with one hand tied behind my back.

------
marjoriekh

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

In reply to marjoriekh <<

Date: 5/31/12 6:27 PM

Neckline Binding for Knits - Threads Magazine Video

I agree that the fold over binding method will probably work quite well. However, it seems like there should be a way to sew ribbing on the neckline, as shown in the linked Threads video, with a square neckline, doesn't it? You've presented such an interesting puzzle that I keep turning over and over in my mind.

In the video, she is adjusting the "stretch" of the ribbing/binding more or less as she goes, but she has one continuous stitching line to work with around the neckline. With a square neckline, there are actually two separate stitching lines: the front of the neckline between the two miters and then the rest of the neckline, from one miter around the back of the neck to the other miter. (If you have a square neckline in the back, too, then there are four separate stitching lines on the neckline.)

With a square neckline, if (generic) you sew the "mitered" corners into the ribbing first, then the measurement between the two miters should probably be slightly less than the measurement between the two corners on the garment, so that the ribbing pulls in slightly, so the front neckline isn't floppy. Because each knit is different, it would require some experimentation to determine how much shorter the "between the miters" ribbing measurement should be.

The other option would be to sew stay stitching on the corners of the neckline, clip the corners to the stay stitching, then sew on the ribbing in one big "circle" similar to the first tutorial in my first post, and similar to the video linked in this post. The problem with this approach is that the excess ribbing needs to be folded (darted) and somehow stitched in the corners. If you fold a "dart" in the ribbing and stitch it on the inside of the garment, you'll have a lot of bulk in the corner. I wonder if folding/pushing the excess ribbing fabric at the corners inside itself, that is, to the inside of the ribbing, then hand stitching, would work? That is, you end up sewing that "V" dart AFTER you've sewn the ribbing on.

To me, this sounds like an interesting theory, but one that may not actually work in practice (a few of my sewing "theories" have turned out that way). You could sew a small sample to test this out: start with a piece of the knit fabric with an "inside" square corner cut into it. Stay stitch, clip, then sew a straight line of wrong-sides-folded-together ribbing to it.

Can the excess ribbing fabric at the corner be manipulated into a dart or miter that looks acceptable? That's the important question.

CMC
-- Edited on 5/31/12 6:29 PM --
-- Edited on 5/31/12 7:16 PM --

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 5/31/12 10:21 PM

CMC, this sounds like it could work. I think I will get out some scraps and try the 3 methods - the Jalie V-neck overlap style, the fold-over mitered binding, and the continuous ribbing method you outline above, and see which one looks most promising.

------
marjoriekh

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

Date: 6/1/12 4:25 PM

I need to do a tute, coz the way I do this, it's a double-miter. And I can't write it out without doing it, lol!
-- Edited on 6/1/12 4:45 PM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

Date: 6/1/12 4:47 PM

NM!
-- Edited on 6/1/12 4:52 PM --

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

Date: 6/1/12 5:28 PM

Starting a new future search term so I can find this later.

bindingknitthread

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/1/12 5:35 PM

Oh, please do! -- Would love to see your double miter method.

------
marjoriekh

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

Date: 6/2/12 2:18 AM

Well that was useless, lol! Someone needs to come take the pics while I sew...coz I do not have enough hands.

To apply binding as a "ribbing", meaning only one row of stitching to attach it, I pre-mitre the binding for both corners. You have to mitre one corner, then gently stretch the binding along the neckline pattern and mark with a pin where the next corner will be. If you don't do the stretching, your binding will be 1:1 with the top neckline, and droop.

What you end up with is a finished mitred binding slightly smaller than your top neckline.

You then have to stay stitch and clip the top into the corners, and sew the binding to the top, right sides and raw edges together, stretching the binding to fit.

All in all, it's not that easy to do, which is why you rarely see square necklines in knits, RTW or pattern.

Doing the Jalie V method is easier, but you do get a bit more bulk with the triangular flap the forms from the mitering. You can beat the bulk into flat submission though by hard-pressing the triangular flap on a clapper, if you have one (block of wood). Then hand tack the flap down with a couple little stitches. With jersey knits, you can get the flap very thin, almost non-existent.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Anyone know of a tutorial for knit binding on a square neckline?

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Kwik Sew 3409 Misses Dresses
photo
Review by Teeavilnor on 5/30/09
Read Review

Take-Along Bags
Take-Along Bags

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern
SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Garden Party Dress (6M-4) Digital Pattern
Oliver + S Garden Party Dress (6M-4) Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Grainline Studio Lakeside Pajamas
Grainline Studio Lakeside Pajamas

Details
Price: $10.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2009-122
photo
Review by Barbara V on 4/8/09
Read Review

Kwik Sew 3716 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3716 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 4686 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20 )
Butterick 4686 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20 )

Details
Price: $15.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN