SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Looking for print for a lightweight jacket ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for print for a lightweight jacket
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/2/12 1:04 PM

I want to make a lightweight blazer-type jacket for myself.
I was thinking of a twill or a denim weight. I saw a print at fabric club that is a chintz. Would that be suitable for this kind of garment?
The only local source for apparel fabric I have is Joann's so I'll likely have to shop online and I don't have much fabric knowledge.
Finding a heavy enough weight fabric in a print is my challenge.
Are there other fabrics I should consider as well?
The pattern I have in mind is Kwik Sew 3842 View A.

-- Edited on 6/2/12 1:25 PM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 6/2/12 2:03 PM

oh boy do I have some goodies to tempt you with! Let me get my computer...I dunno how to link on my iPad.

be right back...

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/2/12 2:27 PM

Ok I'm back. This particular pattern is for fleece, and has a dropped shoulder. I'm not sure it's the best choice for what you have in mind.

I would go with something like KS3796 View B

Anyhoo, here's some fabric suggestions for you (me) to drool over;

EOS brocade (YUMMM!)

This would be a good substitute for fleece for your KS3842;

EOS medium weight knit

Marcy Tilton stretch denim Morning Glory

Gorgeous Fabrics cotton jacquard It's reversible, so no worries about no lining.

Hmmm...I want them ALL! I love searching out fabrics, so lemme know if any are close or if you can give further guidelines. Anything to delay my housework.

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/2/12 2:31 PM

Good thing I'm on a fabric fast -- I could go for all of these. And I definitely need jackets (heck I need everything).

Now I know who to call on when I'm looking for a specific fabric for a project.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
56.0 yards sewn (as of 08/13/14)
113.125 yards purchased (as of 08/13/14)

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/2/12 2:44 PM

Yes! I love the fabrics you chose, however, they're a bit dressy for what I had in mind. I will probably make this jacket in fleece at some point but the style is a good one for me; something that I'll wear with casual pants (because that's pretty much all we wear here).
I just need a non-fancy print...like blue or black floral, or even something brighter and less dark than that would be nice. A colorful floral on a white background would work as well. I liked the chintz pattern because it's subtle. I realize that the pattern was written for a heavy fabric but I thought maybe I could fudge that.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 6/2/12 2:53 PM

If you like the chintz fabric you found locally, I'd go for it, give it a try.

------

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/2/12 2:58 PM

Thanks, Lynn. I saw the fabric at at Fashionfabricsclub.com. It's Black floral chintz #5337, in case you want a look.
Since it's so inexpensive I can try it without risking a lot.

------
Linda

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 6/2/12 3:23 PM

It's very pretty, can't beat the price...so why not! With the pattern having extended shoulders, and being deisgned for a fleece, it's likely there's not a lot of sleeve cap ease. As chintz is a...bear...to ease, it does work best with caps that don't have a lot of ease, so this is a definite advantage.

I'm looking forward to your Garment review!

------

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 6/2/12 3:24 PM

I love matching fabrics to patterns...the downside doing it for others is they have to have my tastes for it to work for them, lol!

------

hpsauce
star
hpsauce
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/3/09
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/2/12 5:36 PM

I love it when you give fabric choices and options. I need someone like you in my sewing room to advise me every time I try to decide what to sew and which fabric to match with a pattern...or better yet, to go fabric shopping with me. Although, ,you seem to be one of the worst (or is that best?) enablers ever!!!!

------
Island Couture http://islandcouture.blogspot.ca/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Looking for print for a lightweight jacket

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

McCall's 5806

photo
by: sew silly

Review
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.