SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > (rant) I went to JoAnn's and.... ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
(rant) I went to JoAnn's and....
I feel like I was mugged! ;)
Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 6/2/12 6:29 PM

I went with my mom, who uses a cane and one of their scooters, and my 4-year-old, and got the slowest fabric cutter in the world....and then I was utterly shocked at the register when the fabrics that the sign said was on sale for $7.99 a yard ended up being $16.99/yd! I was so tired from standing there for literally an hour and 15 minutes, and trying to keep my poor kid from going bonkers with waiting, and my mom from going nuts for lack of a cigarette that I just paid and left, but I swear that I'm never ever buying fabric at JoAnn's again! I spent hundreds more than I intended, and I'm Not Amused.

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/2/12 6:41 PM

Here's a GRRRRRRR to Joanne's for you, Courtney. Sorry you had a bad time there. I think you should give a call to the manager on Monday and calmly explain what happened. Maybe you can get a credit back on your purchase.

Have a great weekend.

Kippy

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: (rant) I went to JoAnns and.... Date: 6/2/12 7:15 PM

I would also call and try to get it sorted out. One time when I was there, a fabric rang up for what I thought was the wrong price. Turns out it wasn't on sale, but it was so similar to the stuff that was on sale they gave me the sale price anyways.

I am at my Joanns so much and they pretty much know me - by face anyways - and I find most of the people that work there to be really nice & helpful. Like when cutting, they'll give me end of bolt for more than what I asked, things like that.

Sorry u had a bad experience tho and I'm sure they'd want to correct - give it a try anyways..

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Subject: (rant) I went to JoAnns and.... Date: 6/2/12 9:35 PM

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I agree with the other posters that you should call them out on the pricing discrepancy. That's awful.
I haven't bought fabric at Joann's for decades. They cut fabric so crooked that many times my piece was too short to use, and waiting to get anything cut was just crazy. I once suggested they implement an express cutting lane...for trims or elastics...after I had waited 40 minutes to buy 1 yard of elastic. Now I only get notions/buttons/zippers and such there.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Subject: (rant) I went to JoAnns and.... Date: 6/2/12 9:52 PM

You know, I don't usually complain to managers about stuff like that, but maybe I should. I don't shop there often (2x in the last 3+ years), so I'm not sure they'd really care, though. OTOH, what can it hurt, right? Maybe I will on Monday.

seemarysew
seemarysew
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/2/12 11:17 PM

I've had this happen to me, too! I agree with everyone else and I think you should call them. Couldn't hurt anyway! :)

I have such a hard time with the sale tags at Joann's that now I always ask them, "How much is this?" and "Will I be able to use my coupon with this?" before they cut anything.

------
http://www.maryquitecontrary.com/blog

SewPerfect
star
SewPerfect  Friend of PR
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/6/04
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 0:18 AM

I always have the cutter check the price of the bolt before they cut the fabric at JoAnns as so many bolts get misplaced by shoppers and sometimes store clerks too. Saves lots of frustration for every one.

------
Happy Seams to you....until we meet again!
In the corral: Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2, Bernina 930 Record, Brother PQ1500S, Singer 15-91, Singer 221 Featherweight, Pfaff serger

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 1:04 AM

Sorry for your rotten experience and as others have said, call Jo-Ann's on it. Recently, I bought a few small cuts. The check-out clerk herself was confused about what was on sale and how to apply the coupons. We went back to the bolt, checked the signage, reread my coupon and then put a code in my iPhone. I saved 40% on a different fabric than the one that I thought was on sale. The sign had some teensy writing that listed the exception- my choice. In this case the salesperson took a lot of time to ensure I got the best deal. However, if I had a 4-year old and a mom with a cane, I would have been tearing my hair out.

Jo-Ann shopping strategy- I read this recently, but forget where. If possible, use a buddy system. 1 person shops and the other eyes the line for cutting. Depending on the line and the shopper, get a ticket right away or wait a bit. If the # is coming up and the shopper needs time, offer to trade your fabulous # to someone further back in the line. If you're alone, you can still do this.

*** I meant to say, trade your #. Someone, say with a child, will get a jump forward and you get some extra shopping time. And also, a buddy can get on the cashier line if it's a long one.
-- Edited on 6/3/12 9:04 PM --

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
Georgia USA
Member since 8/19/06
Send Message

Subject: (rant) I went to JoAnns and.... Date: 6/3/12 7:29 AM

I had a similar thing happen. I took a bolt of linen to be cut after noting the sale sign "all linens 40% off. I made sure to tell the cutter, but she gave me a slip showing full price. I went back to the linens and checked the sign. Again it said all linens 40% off, but when I looked closer, in very small print at the very bottom of the sign, it said " except sew classic" which was the one I picked. I had just assumed all meant all. Anyway I just left the cut fabric there and got it later with a coupon. Now I know to check the sign carefully. Glad I checked the slip before standing in line. That may not be what happened with you, but was similar.
-- Edited on 6/3/12 7:29 AM --

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 8:24 AM

When I need more than thread or buttons, I've never gone into a fabric store when I'm in a hurry or have kids with me. But in this case, Yes, go back and talk with the manager. Take your material and receipt with you. If you noticed a reason for the slow service, tell the manager. The employees are told how to interact with the customer(no long winded stories about their latest personal problems). I, too, am a familar face in my Joanns(and Hancocks), so the employees tend to chat a bit more with me. I really don't have a problem with the communication, as long as they are working while they are talking

Also, I've learned that it is now store policy for new Joann's employees to take the 101 sewing class(if it's offered in the store). I think this is great and a step in the right direction.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> (rant) I went to JoAnn's and....

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Simplicity 3887

photo
by: Sharon1952

Review
10 inch Professional Shears

10 inch Professional Shears

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Kimono Jacket Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Kimono Jacket Formula Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.