SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Dog Food Dilemna ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dog Food Dilemna
HELP!
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 2:50 AM

SO...I was feeding my 3 dogs the Costco grain free dog food and they were eating it UNTIL THE HUGE RECALL! So I am once again trying to find a good tasting, decent hopefully grain free dog food. Did I mention GOOD TASTING? Because the biggest dog (80lbs) is as finicky as a French poodle! So far I have tried Nutro Ultra (they ate it somewhat but I didn't think it was too good for them) Then Blue Buffalo Basics Limited ingredients (reject), Nutrisca (reject), and now Natural Balance Limited Ingredient (I think they were just starving -maybe they like it). I am going crazy because I need for them to eat their damn food! Especially in the mornings when I need to leave for work and I need them to eat and have time to go poo before I leave! Others I have tried: Purina One proplan shreds, Natural Life Lamaderm (they got gas)-I even caved and gave them Rachel Ray Nutrish (they liked that stuff but I don't think its that good for them)
I cook ground turkey with peas and carrots and freeze that in muffin pans, then remove from muffin pans into plastic bag in freezer. I thaw one and put it in a mug with 3 large tablespoons of canned pumpkin and a little Dogswell canned food. Mix that with their kibble AND THEY STILL WONT EAT.
So does anyone have any suggestions for me? My vet says Iams or science diet but they are both corn based. I am NOT doing the RAW diet

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 6/3/12 8:15 AM

Can I bring my dog over to your house to eat? Those muffins sound delicious!

Seriously, after several problems with her coat (shedding, hot spots and resultant staph infections) along with the expensive vet bills to go along with them, I found a great dog food. It's Purina's Sensitive Skin formula and it has salmon, rice and Vitamin E in it--NO CORN as that is what I finally found she is allergic to. I also buy Iams green label ground, with alfalfa, canned, to mix.

None of these foods have corn (I'm such a label reader!) and I've found that not only does she like it (always wants more, although she's getting "chunky") but it also saves her skin.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 6/3/12 8:41 AM

Have you tried Wellness (brand) CORE (line of dog food)? Sophie liked it and it's fairly easy to get (in our area.)

ETA - our son and DIL have their dog on Taste of the Wild right now. That company had a recall a month ago, too, but their dog had no problems and is still on it.

Dogs aren't as susceptible to salmonella as humans are. At least, that is what I have read. Their intestinal tract is much shorter than ours, so the salmonella exits the body before it has time to multiply and cause trouble. However, a dog can still suffer if there is sufficient bacteria, etc. etc. etc.
-- Edited on 6/3/12 8:45 AM --

mhk
mhk
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 6/3/12 8:51 AM

hmmmm... would you consider raw eggs part of the "raw diet?"

My vet recommended a raw egg every day or two -- I crack it open in the bowl, mix it up with the kibble (we use Legacy Pet Food, although it may not be available in the US).

The dogs love it!

Wino
star
Wino
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/24/06
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 6/3/12 10:29 AM

Our cats have been eating the Costco cat chow-also made by Diamond and subject to the recall re: salmonella contamination. Has this been rectified? Of course the cats are not super picky about their food and will pretty much eat anything.

------
wino

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 6/3/12 10:47 AM

The recall only goes for a certain time period of production. If Costco is still stocking the favorite food it is probably the non-recalled stuff. The bags have codes or dates of production.

Diamond Pet food recall info

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 11:38 AM

The problem is that Diamond eviudently has had SEVERAL recalls over the last few years and now I am afraid to feed it. I have been spending way too much time reading the DogFoodAdvisor which tells you all the stuff thats in the brands of dog food. Like if it says "animal fat" instead of "chicken fat" on the ingredients, that could mean almost any type of animal-and it goes into gruesome detail. Also it seems some foods contain menadione which is a form of vitamin K and what it says about it sounds scary. I am just so confused. I worked for a vet many years ago and back then Science Diet was IT-the best you could feed. Now it is not. Maybe I need to stay off of THIS SITE but it pops up every time I search for a review. Argghhhhh...I was gooking them food like the turkey mixture plus some oatmeal etc but I worried they were not getting everything they need plus I was running out of time. Heck, I don't even cook for my family anymore-Hubby does it.What to do....what to do...

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 12:37 PM

When they don't eat at breakfast, what do they do at dinner?
btw I use Grandma Lucys dehydrated dog food that has chicken it it. I used to use another brand of dehydrated that I added my own meat to, but I also got tired of cooking.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 12:38 PM

As far as IAMS food goes, my cat tries to dig a hole and bury it every time I bring some home. I'm not surprised that the dog food doesn't go over any better with your pups. Also with websites, please remember that they often have a political agenda. And pet food is heavily regulated. The manufacturers may be required to put some of these ingredients or an equivalent into the mix.

Here's a website that talks about grain free dog foods. I don't know how good the information is.
-- Edited on 6/3/12 12:39 PM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

maryl
star
maryl
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/24/05
Send Message

Date: 6/3/12 1:45 PM

I discovered a number of years ago that the only way I can have a dog without having my asthma flare up is if we feed her only very little dog food. Our dog mostly eats plain meat.

People don't believe me when I tell them that a diet of meat makes it possible for me to have pets, but believe me, we have really experimented. I can only stay in houses that have dogs or cats on pet food for an hour or two, and then I'm reaching for my strongest asthma medicine.

Out dog is over 13 now and, except for a benign tumor in her hip, very healthy. Her coat is soft and silky, and she never has any skin or digestive problems.

I'm guessing that dogs, and wolves, just ate meat for hundreds of years before they became pets. It's hard for me to believe that any manufactured product could be better for them.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Dog Food Dilemna

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2009-128

photo
by: mkruszewsk...

Review
8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Buy Now
McCall's 5519

photo
by: caper81

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.