SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Soon everyone but PR members will be in loincloths.... ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Soon everyone but PR members will be in loincloths....
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/6/12 5:25 PM

so little gd and i went shopping for some new undies.
last time i got my standard hanes (cool in summer and warm in winter) but the quality had gone downhill in the weight of the knit and the elastic. they used to last so long i got new just for some different prints.
so this time i tried fruit of the loom. apparently now they calculate massive savings by cutting 4-5 inches out of the leg, several from the butt, and the waist length. (i have not changed size.) ride up and ride down too.
oh well, adult diapers may be down the road....

Sauvage
star
Sauvage  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/22/09
Send Message

Date: 6/6/12 6:12 PM

Gramma b, you're hilarious!

It's true across the board, though, isn't it? Everything gets squeezed to increase the profit margin. I was just noticing that some new Ikea plastic boxes I bought to try to tame my bead stash (yup, a bead stash and a yarn stash, here, in addition to the you-know-what stash) are slightly thinner and less sturdy than the same product bought a few years ago.

And yesterday I was in a CVS with four or five new Self-Service registers and no available register with a human!

Maybe we could start a "Stave Off the Loincloths" movement...

------
Jeanne
2015 inventory:
Yards sewn: 4
Yards purchased: 0

"People....so much bigger on the inside." Doctor Who, "The Doctor's Wife," 6.04, by Neil Gaiman.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Sauvage <<

Date: 6/6/12 11:49 PM

Oh no, not drugstores too!
A relative used to work for P&G servicing products in area stores.
Often the clerk was the only person on the floor, as they cut all other staff. (Remember when Walgreen's used to have lovely "trained" cosmetic advisors?)
The poor mgr. had to do tons of paperwork in the office, unload trucks, deal with returns, stock shelves, on the phone forever with home office. Meanwhile, the Pharmacy had 3-4 workers, separately paid, so they never helped out.
The manager said more stuff walked out of the stores that way than if they had paid to have at least 2 floater employees on the floor.

I refuse the annoying self-serves in groceries and WM, something always goes wrong. If I'm spending my money, the least they can do is provide me with friendly ? service. I recall when ATM's were supposed to REDUCE our bank fees because they didn't have to pay tellers--how's that working?
At least I hear there are some call centers returning to the US now because of customer complaints of poor connections and non-English speaking reps. H. used to talk to India for his company's trouble-shooting and it took him 5x as long and several reps to understand.
Now he's trying to handle Senior insurance paperwork and getting Mexico. Sometimes our older brains just hurt when we think of what US "service" used to be......and I think the young people won't complain because that's all they've known.
-- Edited on 6/7/12 8:22 AM --

Cathy Loves Fabric
star
Cathy Loves Fabric  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/16/04
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 6/7/12 3:39 AM

I noticed the same thing gramma b. It forced me to make my own underwear. High quality rayon/lyra, nice elastic, perfect fit and I'll never buy underwear again. The underwear companies are trying to force us to buy their more expensive products. Lets just teach everybody how to sew their own. My homesewn pairs are lasting forever and or so comfy

------
My hope is to sew to the very end. They'll find my head slumped over my precious Kenmore 19606 and have to pry the seam ripper from my cold, dead hands.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Cathy Loves Fabric <<

Date: 6/7/12 8:10 AM

Cathy, what pattern are you using? I'm getting so ticked off with second rate, over priced underware, that I'm ready to start making my own. Why is it, men can buy a pack of 10, super inexpensive, and they fit fine? The Jockey "no line promise" hip briefs that I buy, are $9.50 regular price. I use coupons when I can. I still have to "alter" them when I get them home. The only reason I still buy them, is they come up to a right height on me.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 6/7/12 8:21 AM

Why don't you use an old pair of your good fitting ones? They are easy to trace. Starting on page 48 of the SewAlong Lingerie thread, loti shows how to do it....very helpful to see.

------------------------------------
Ooops...maybe this link will work better..
Sew Along Lingerie/Class
-- Edited on 6/7/12 8:26 AM --

Better..you do have to go to page 48
-- Edited on 6/7/12 8:27 AM --

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 6/7/12 9:03 AM

Darn you, I already have enough half-finished projects and I'm preferring cooler skirts now, so I really can't go au natural under.
I do recall in hippie-dippie days that gals did prefer men's undies, they still use better fabric.
Do you think those thong-wearing little designers have all the say now?
Seems like you're either Victoria's Secret or a Depends consumer. Maybe it's time to re-introduce those cute Bloomers again?

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 6/7/12 9:13 AM

I think I'm going for tap pants....Like you, I'm no longer enjoying my Haines..either too big or too small..

I just ordered these tap pants on page 2. I'm not quite ready for the baggy bum boxers, but that may be the next step! I do have a friend that wears men's boxers..she has an odd shape and likes the no elastic on the leg.

undies patterns

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/7/12 9:40 AM

Picture this:
It's a scene similar to one from Gone with the Wind. However, in the background are store racks of clothing, piles of panties, etc. It is a smoky background, lit only from behind, and a lone figure stands in silhouette, semi nude and you can tell her clothing doesn't fit her. In her hand, she is firmly grasping several pair of undies. And in her frustration and anguish, she extols: "I will never buy store bought panties again!"

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 6/7/12 9:49 AM

Well, I did try the "boy shorts" for a little length, since the bum has gone flat I thought they would work but they rode up Annoyingly. So I don't know about tap styles, plus layering into jeans?
I'm thinking the ladies "brief" styles now are the same size as what used to be "high-cuts" where the leg openings are being cut 4-5" less.
I am tall so can't do anything the size of the low-cuts and below.

ANYONE have favorite nice fabric non-costly Brands that cover without being baggy? And average-size bras are getting less coverage and hurtful boning too.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Soon everyone but PR members will be in loincloths....

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Simplicity 2648

photo
by: katski

Review
Made By Rae Washi Dress

photo
by: MiniandMer...

Review
Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.