SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Amy Butler Rayon Challis? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Amy Butler Rayon Challis?
OK for unlined skirt/dress?
Liz in Cville
star
Liz in Cville  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 6/7/12 11:05 AM

Does anyone know whether Amy Butler rayon challis could work for an unlined skirt or dress? I am wondering whether it's too translucent.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has used it and wants to share :)

Oh, and btw, it is currently on sale -- along with other designer offerings, at Fabric.com

------
Twitter: @SewKnitStash

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 6/7/12 5:26 PM

Oh, wow! Amy Butler just did an event at my LQS. I need to run over there next week--wonder if they have any in stock!

------
~Gem in the prairie

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Liz in Cville <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/7/12 8:38 PM

Some rayon challis is...and some isn't. Not much help! I've found the darker colors are usually great for unlined garments...but if you stand with sunlight streaming behind you, you may be more visible than you want.

Just walk fast and don't stand still.

Best if you can get a swatch.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Liz in Cville
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/8/12 10:53 AM

Quote: LynnRowe

Just walk fast and don't stand still.

Love it :)

Actually, since I had nothing better to do and a blog that could use better content, I went ahead and contacted the company by email. I got a lengthy and thoughtful answer, even if it wasn't the one I would have preferred ;). see block quote for company's response

------

sfshaza
star
sfshaza
Advanced
California USA
Member since 9/12/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/8/12 12:02 PM

Nice post, Liz. It sounds like a good opportunity for a slip. In hot weather, a cotton slip. :)

------
http://communingwithfabric.blogspot.com/

SecondHandRogue
star
SecondHandRogue  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Rhode Island USA
Member since 12/28/05
Send Message

Date: 6/8/12 1:04 PM

I recently ordered a few yards of the wintergreen challis with the pink and green dot-like flowers from fabric.com. It's going back, but mostly because the color is too toothpasty in real life. It's not too sheer for sure, but it's borderline. I could see through it when held up to a window full of sunlight, but not when it was just draped over my arm. I really couldn't tell how modest it might be once sewn. But I thought that a long gathered skirt might be just fine...

Liz in Cville
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to SecondHandRogue <<

Date: 6/8/12 2:47 PM

Thanks so much for the input, and I love your description of the color issue.

Maybe I'll hold off, after all then. I already have plenty of fabric for summer clothes; the main appeal was the possibility of something that wouldn't need lining. And those crazy Amy Butler colors, of course...

------

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/8/12 3:06 PM

Of course, those two Amy Butler dresses she shows in her studio are...UNLINED. Seems to me that's exactly the answer you were wanting.

Disclaimer: If enabling results, it's not my fault.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

SecondHandRogue
star
SecondHandRogue  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Rhode Island USA
Member since 12/28/05
Send Message

Date: 6/8/12 4:55 PM

The color really was a little funny in person...but I'd consider the fuschia sari print in the future. The quality seemed pretty nice, per wash, not that I'm fabric savvy, yet

I have another rayon challis coming from harts, at a similar retail price point, 13/yd. I'll try to remember to come back here for a little comparison...

Klutzy
Klutzy
Advanced Beginner
Massachusetts USA
Member since 10/11/06
Send Message

In reply to SecondHandRogue <<

Date: 6/9/12 8:35 AM

Hart's is a wonderful store; if this is your first order from them you should be very pleased. It's one of the places I miss since moving from the area.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Amy Butler Rayon Challis?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

McCall's 5114 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
You Sew Girl City Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl City Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 201 Pattern

Petite Plus 201 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.