SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Vintage Sewing > Odd vintage dress neckline ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Odd vintage dress neckline
Should I alter it and if so how?
DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/10/12 5:48 AM

I bought an original 50s dress yesterday, which is amazing as I never see anything in my size. It generally fits well and the fabric's lovely but there's something odd about the neckline and I'm feeling the urge to do something about it. It looks like it's strayed on from a dress for a much smaller person. Possibly whoever drafted the pattern sized the rest of it up for larger sizes but didn't bother changing the neckline. It kind of rides up in a weird way round the sides and back and looks particularly disproportionate when I'm wearing a cardigan.

I could easily find some more white ricrac and alter it. Maybe either take a couple of cm off all round the neck, or possibly just off the back and sides. Views?

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 6:05 AM

That is a lovely bright dress and looks like it fits you really well in general. Is it actually uncomfortable around the neck to wear, or just not what you find usual? Is your cardigan from the same era? Vintage styles are so different from what people wear now and I have found the necklines very high and claustrophobic in some of the ones I've tried.

DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/07
Send Message

In reply to lareine <<

Date: 6/10/12 6:16 AM

The cardigan I knitted myself so is not vintage.

It's not so much that it's uncomfortable as that it doesn't sit right. But you're right, it's also not what I'm used to as I generally wear quite low necklines.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 8:13 AM

Perhaps from a thin swan-necked person?
I would recut a soft scoop neck (copy another) and
it would still look Vintage. You could use the excess as a bias.
Assume you have to move a back zipper--or not, if it goes over your head.
Funky shoes, are they British-made?!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to DaisyGrubber <<

Date: 6/10/12 1:07 PM

Looks like vintage foundation garments would have made a difference in the fit and draping of the the bodice. Consider also who might have worn it. One of my grandmothers wore modern underpinnings and one did not.

Lucky you to have found the dress.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 6/10/12 1:52 PM

Bizarrely there is no zipper at all, which is fine with me as I don't normally need one - but I wouldn't want to do an elaborate hairstyle first and then put it on!

The shoes are El Naturalista who are Spanish. They have some lovely things although not that style any more I think.

DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/07
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 6/10/12 2:25 PM

True, but I don't think that would affect the actual shoulder line and width of the neck. At the moment there's suddenly too much room at the shoulder at the inner edge, but then not quite enough to accommodate the neck.

I just think this was either (1) a badly graded pattern designed by someone who didn't understand cutting for larger sizes (very likely) or (2) a home sewer who borrowed the neckline from a smaller size dress. There's lots of hand sewing inside it so I reckon it was made at home or by a small dressmaker.

I think we have this idea that everyone had great fitting clothes in the past, but I was looking at photos of my granny's wedding in the 30s once, and you've never seen a more ill-fitting bunch of clothes on the guests - and they were quite well-off too and not plus sized.
-- Edited on 6/10/12 2:39 PM --

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 7:33 PM

I have an idea. Why not slash at CF, down about 3" or so, then face this area, leaving it open, and put a button at the neckline with a thread loop closure? That way you can overlap the fullness, or you could even remove it by redrawing from the CF down to the slash.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/07
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 6/11/12 2:25 PM

I don't think that would deal with it, but in any case I'm less worried about the fit than the appearance.

I think really the choice comes down to either just widening the neck, or cutting it bigger all round. I think I want to keep the basic shape as I like it and that's how it's meant to be. Also, either of those things would deal with the fit issue (and if it doesn't I can take a little in on the shoulder seams which would).

It's very interesting looking at how it's made. The hand sewing is incredibly tidy, yet the seamstress always used her thread doubled. Some of the seams are hand sewn and some are machined - I wonder if she only had access to a machine at someone else's house perhaps. And the edges are pinked - I guess no zigzag stitch in those days! The neck has a very narrow facing which is turned under and sewn down - never seen that before.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to DaisyGrubber <<

Date: 6/11/12 4:05 PM

It's a pretty vintage dress overall. I think that neckline may be the result of poor drafting or perhaps stretching during construction (those curves being biased edges).

Frankly, the fit looks good to me below there, and I think you could lower the neckline while keeping--and stabilizing!--those sweetheart curves, as here, keeping things quite period-correct.

-- Edited on 6/11/12 4:10 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Vintage Sewing >> Odd vintage dress neckline

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Paloma Top, Tunic & Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Paloma Top, Tunic & Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.