SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Coverstitch dedicated serger ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Coverstitch dedicated serger
Hyena
Hyena
Expert/Couture
Member since 1/28/07
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 6:39 PM

Hello there,

I am in the market for a coverstitch serger. I have seen some are dedicated to this stitch only but they seem to be as expensive as full ones. I have a brother 1040, 2 yo and working well, but I really need the coverstitch now. My budget is 700 to 800$ and I would like a sturdy one.

Please do help me to choose! In advance thank you.

Cecile

------
handmade + recycled = fashion
www.recycledbyhyena.com

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Hyena <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/10/12 7:44 PM

There is an enormous thread on the Janome coverstitch machine, I seem to remember that the important information was condensed out of it.
I have the Janome cs 1000, and there is now a new model but pretty similar to the 1000. I love it. I just hemmed a cardigan this afternoon and it couldn't be easier. It's easy to thread and has been totally reliable. I would not sew so many knits without it.
Prices for these can vary widely so shop around. Just on LI I was quoted from 3 different dealers prices ranging from $5oo to nearly $1000. The latter a widely inflated price. I bought it from the dealer with the lowest price. Granted that didn't include lessons but it's so simple to use that I didn't find it necessary.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 11:10 PM

Your post title is a little confusing.

A coverstitch machine and a serger machine are two completely different machines.

A serger - which I believe is what you have already - has the upper & lower loopers plus 2+ needles with the knives that can cut the fabric as you sew.

A coverstitch machine has only one looper (lower) and 2+ needles for making hems and sometimes chainstitches.

If you're willing to spend up to $1000, you are going to have several options. There's two that are VERY popular, the Janome Coverpro and the Brother 2340CV. Both of these are around $500-$600ish. There is also an Elna and I think a Viking that are within that budget.

Personally I have the Brother 2340CV - just got a used model last week - and so far, I really like it! I debated a lot before choosing between the Brother and the Janome, but I read through all the reviews on this site and the multiples thread topics and decided that the risk of skipped stitches on the Janome wasn't worth it to me, so I went with the Brother. Not that the Brother doesn't have it's own set of issues, but for me, that's what I chose. Especially because I also have the Brother serger (1034D) and LOVE it!

Anyways... I would read through the reviews on this site (I think you can search by $$$) and also search the board for topics related to coverstitch machines.

Hopefully somebody with a brand other than Janome or Brother can offer up their opinions of their machines that are within your price range.

Anyways... good luck!!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 7:54 AM

I have the Coverpro 900CPX and absolutely love it. Easy peasy to learn to use. All I know is that you do want a stand alone coverstitch as I often am going back and forth between my serger and coverstitch while making an item. The coverstitch was one of my better impulse buys; should have gotten alot sooner.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Hyena
Hyena
Expert/Couture
Member since 1/28/07
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 9:58 AM

Thank you for your help!!
@heathergwo I had my eyes on the Brother one already. My serger is working well and I love it. I just really need the coverstitch option because I am working on more and more knits and I really need fast and perfect hemming.

I have read a lot about the Janome and yes I am also a bit wary of the skipped stitches and other problems. I sell my garments so I do not want any problems like that.

I'll have to research a bit more but I think I'll go with the Brother!!

------
handmade + recycled = fashion
www.recycledbyhyena.com

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

In reply to Hyena <<

Date: 6/12/12 3:42 PM

Good luck!

So far I'm really enjoying my machine, but I haven't done a lot with it... yet!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

horsegirl

horsegirl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/18/07
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 0:08 AM

I just bought a Babylock coverstitch, but that was a real splurge, and I was impressed with the Janome 1000 CPX at the same dealer. Simple threading, which is always a relief. The dealer said there had been issues with skipped stitches over seams I believe in earlier models, but that had been fixed with the new CPX model. I had quotes of $600 and $700 from two area dealers. Good luck!

------
My Years of Sewing Fearlessly

Babylock Decorator's Choice
Babylock Quilter's Choice
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock Imagine
Babylock Coverstitch
Singer 500a "Rocketeer"
Janome 673
Elna Lotus SP
Singer 27 treadle
Singer 99

Traiven3d
Traiven3d
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 5/2/11
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 2:55 AM

I just received my CS machine in the mail today. It's the Brother 2340CV. I'll be sure to let you know what my experience is like with it as I plan to use it heavily over the next weekend. I did order mine with all the attachments, so hopefully I can give you some insight on them as well!

------
http://sewstrong.wordpress.com/

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Traiven3d <<

Date: 6/13/12 7:30 PM

So happy to hear your new machine arrived! Having a CS machine is heaven!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

In reply to Traiven3d <<

Date: 6/14/12 8:39 PM

Ooo... yea, keep posting what you find and like, etc.

I still haven't FULLY played with mine yet and I've had it over a week now... hopefully this wekend!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Coverstitch dedicated serger

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2005-102

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Simplicity 2534

photo
by: sunnysewer

Review
Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Daily News Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Daily News Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.