SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Doesn't anybody chat around here?? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Doesn't anybody chat around here??
Maybe set up a regular time to chat?
heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/12 1:25 AM

So I've been a member here since last year and occasionally I go into the chat room to find... no body

Just wondering if anybody chats around here anymore (besides classes)??

From reading old posts, it seems people USED to meet up to chat, but that doesn't happy any longer.

Would anyone be interested in setting up a time each day that people could "meet" in the chat room to "talk" about sewing, etc.? You can show everyday, once in awhile, whatever... whoever shows, shows and just take it from there.

Anybody interested besides me???? How about a good time? Maybe 5pm pacific time??

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Subject: Doesnt anybody chat around here?? Date: 6/12/12 1:37 AM

We used to about 7-8 CST, but I know I got bed ridden with my pregnancy, then it's taken me most of this last 7 months to feel like going.

I go in and check every day about 10-12 once or twice.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 6/12/12 2:27 AM

I entered the chat room once or twice when a group of members were doing the weekly chat. I think the conversations were all over the board, not necessarily sticking to sewing, (not that that was a bad thing, just confusing). I just could not keep track of all the different conversations zipping back and forth at the speed of light between so manydifferent people at the same time, let alone type quickly enough to stay in the game, so I gave up. I was too slow and awkward reading text and typing to actually participate. That was my first and last experience in a chat room! LOL I'd be willing to try it again, not that I'm any quicker now. I'd love to talk about sewing in real time!

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 3:27 AM

I'd be interested, but since the bulk of members are in the US, and the time difference between there and Denmark (6-9 hours depending on time zone), it's difficult. It's why I don't participate in any of the class chats: I'm just generally not coherent at 2 or 3 in the morning. :)

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 6/12/12 7:15 AM

This topic has been moved from Creative Sewing to Miscellaneous

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 6/12/12 8:00 AM

standing with her hand up I was in those chats! And Hazelnut, you're right--we were all over the place. It was a great way to connect with people we didn't know, in an attempt to meet them more. I learned alot from the chats, and sadly they were stopped for a number of reasons, which I won't go into here. I think Deepika did a great thing by showing a green dot near our name to designate whether or not we were online; some of us would go "surfing" outside the chatroom and call some members in because we saw that they were online--it was that fun! The chats started at 4 pacific, which meant 7 eastern and that seemed to work well; but I'm sure anyone would be happy with them starting at 5 pacific/8 eastern. Sometimes the chats would run several hours; I remember going to bed one night and getting up an hour later, only to find a few members still chatting! GlButterfly was the one who started them and she did a fabulous job of getting us all "rounded up".

I don't care to do it again, for reasons I won't mention here, but Heather, I wish you the best if you can get it running again. It was fun.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 6/12/12 9:38 AM

As most of you who did chat know. I was in chat regularly .. never missing a chat on wed till I became ill. GL was a real trooper to show up each and every week for hours. Which is why most of us are not chatting now. it was a real hoot.. but it did take up time..
Some weeks were more interesting than others.. And hazel.. really no worries in chat. You just typed as fast as you can.. typos were left in. and that accounted for the many conversations going at one time. which most of us understood.. So you just picked the one you wanted to chime in on.. and put in your two cents when you could. It did not have to be pertaining to the conversation that was ongoing at that very moment. Sometimes I would type in bits on more than one conversation. You know how mouthy I am. I can type at the speed of lightning if I don't have to stop to correct typos..

I will say what most here seem not to want to say.. It became known to us.. that those chats were being recorded.. and a member.. maybe more than one.. was chastized by ''authority'' for what she said in the chat. We really let down our hair in that room.. understand that. But still posting guidelines were suppose to be adhered to.. Its hard to relax..and type fast.. and all that and still remember to be on your good behavior. For some unknown reason.. most of us in chat really became close.. like friends would.. for the most part.. no one was offended... in fact teasing was a big part of chat.. so some could have construed teasing as not.. In any case.. when we felt we could no longer just ''chat'' as one would naturally.. we stopped chatting. Its that plain and simply.. Its a shame really.. as we did get to know each other very closely in chats.. was good comraderie.. a good place to rant too.. which is much needed from time to time.. but had no place on the regular boards some of it.. A lot of it was fun gibberish really..

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 10:17 AM

Yikes, I did not know the chats were monitored. I think the moderators have used good judgement in closing down some topics that were going rancid. But to try and moderate the social chat room is NOT OK...after all a bunch of us had one too many glasses of wine and were having a good time! And as in any party raised voices are part of the deal...along with hoots and snorts. And if we danced on the table nothing even got scratched, dinged or ruined. If the mods want to just join in the fun that's fine ...the more the merrier...but to assert the authority is not OK...It's like having your Mother at a slumber party. If discussions get a bit "hot" in the chat room...well be warned...it's a free for all and some nights food gets thrown around...I mean we can't be perfect little ladies and gentleman ALL the time! Jeepers even office parties get a bit rowdy even at the most sophisticated of establishments.
-- Edited on 6/12/12 5:16 PM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to jacquiJB <<

Date: 6/12/12 1:18 PM

Quote:
I'm just generally not coherent at 2 or 3 in the morning. :)
LOL Neither am I, but as you can see by the time stamp of my above post that doesn't stop me from posting my gibberish, even if it should.
hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 6/12/12 1:31 PM

Wow, I didn't know the chats were stopped or that there were problems. From the weekly "come to the chat room" invites by GL and responses in that thread I got the impression everyone was having a ball in there and often thought of giving it another try. Of course now you have my curiosity up, but I'll be polite and not ask what went south. I just assumed it petered out like many things do over time, when the main people holding it together can no longer do it for whatever reasons. Sorry to hear this.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Doesn't anybody chat around here??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Butterick 5257

photo
by: sewnaughty

Review
The Essential Tote

The Essential Tote

Buy Now
Perfect Pouches

Perfect Pouches

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.