SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Pattern Cutting Pain ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pattern Cutting Pain
eforen
eforen
Advanced Beginner
Hawaii USA
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 11:09 AM

because she has to do with cutting the fabric after the pattern has been marked on the fabric.

currently I'm just using scissors and going on the pattern by hand but I planned to get a circular hand cutter soon.

I'm wondering if there's any other tools or techniques that would make it easier and faster to cut out patterns from fabric. any tips in this department and all would be very helpful as I am very new to sewing anything larger than a small bag or pillow.

------
-Rel
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)
Check out my blog at LothTailor.com

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to eforen <<

Date: 6/12/12 2:49 PM

I'm not understanding the problem. You find working with the scissors difficult?

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 6:23 PM

Cutting out is a long and tedious process. Don't rush it, it has to be done precisely. We all have to suffer through it every time and some people have learned to enjoy it! :)

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 2:14 AM

I don't think there are any shortcuts when it comes to accurate cutting.

That said, a good pair of shears -- a comfortable length for you to handle, with a smooth action, that fit your hand and are appropriately sharp -- will go a long way to making it less onerous. I recently bought a pair of Kai 9250 shears and they are a marvel (though I have to say that I'm rather sick to see that I paid *TWICE* the price listed in Kai's website -- yet another cost to living overseas, in a place with a small population and 25% VAT. *deep breath* Right. Back to not doing conversions and reminding myself that this is simply what it costs to live here).

I haven't tried a rotary cutter yet. I'm intrigued, but balk at the cost of a self-healing mat the size of my table. Plus, as above, I'm very happy with my new shears. :)

At any rate, have a look at your cutting tools. If you're trying to cut fabric with, say, a pair of scissors from Ikea, you should consider an upgrade.

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 2:29 AM

I use Black and Decker electric shears for lots of my cutting out.

tigergirl
star
tigergirl  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Queensland Australia
Member since 11/30/09
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 2:38 AM

Good scissors make a huge difference. I have rotary cutters which are great. I also have Gingher dressmaking shears and Fiskars feather touch - I prefer the Fiskars, they are much lighter and spring back open (they're endorsed for people with arthritis, not that I have it).

------
Brother BM-2600
Janome 693
Lumina Overlocker (Serger)
http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 8:50 AM

I have Gingher shears but I mostly use rotary cutters. A small mat is sufficient...just move it under one piece at a time.
Cutting out properly is so important.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to eforen <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/13/12 9:09 AM

I can't rememeber the last time I used scissors. I highly recommend that you learn to use a rotary cutter -- I like the 45mm Olfa Ergo. You will have to invest in a rotary cutting mat, but these do not have to be expensive.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Dianne22
star
Dianne22  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 3/18/11
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 9:49 AM

I agree with the recommendation that you learn to use a rotary cutter and self healing mat. I find it's much easier to cut accurately and use my scissors only for tricky corners.

n45
n45
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 6/26/03
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 10:00 AM

I feel your pain. I find it tedious to the extreme. Sometimes as soon as I start cutting, I start yawning and feeling sleepy.

As others have posted good tools make a huge difference. I use the Black and Decker electric scissors for long straight cuts and Kai scissors for all other cuts. The electric scissors save me so much time and energy ,and the Kais are super sharp and light.

I know it seems better to cut everything at once, but I found when I did that I usually rushed through things because I just wanted it to be over. However, if you have a dedicated sewing space or a place where you can roll your work up neatly and then leave it, try to cut a few pieces at a time if there are a lot of them. I start with the small pieces first.

Some people find music or putting on a favorite movie helps, too.
-- Edited on 6/13/12 10:01 AM --
-- Edited on 6/13/12 10:01 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Pattern Cutting Pain

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 45793-1017

photo
by: nancy2001

Review
Other Gertie\'s Portrait Blouse

photo
by: LDT2011

Review
SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Perfect Pouches

Perfect Pouches

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.