SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > how do I tactfully find out someone's gender ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
how do I tactfully find out someone's gender
non english name - so I cant tell!
rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 5:10 PM

I'm trying to find a new housemate. In the online adverts I've stated I am only looking to share with another female. One person has responded today and has asked to view the room. I asked if they could give me a bit more info about themselves. They told me about what they do for leisure and what their job is.

Now here's the tricky bit, they've said their name is Hannes. They are from Belgium and I dont know if its a male or female name! would I cause offense if I asked them before confirming my address?

I'm just not comfortable sharing a house with a guy (as I'd be the only other tenant). Any advice? I havent had this problem before.

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/12 5:19 PM

I believe that Hannes is traditionally a boy's name, but you still can't be certain these days. Why not reply that you are looking for a female roommate---then see how s/he responds.

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 6/12/12 5:49 PM

I think you should confirm gender as if you look up Hannes on google it is a male name.Then again there was a boy named "Sue"

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 6/12/12 5:56 PM

If in doubt, go with your instincts, there will be other applicants.

Perhaps an initial meeting for coffee, a bit away from your home, might be a good approach to discuss shared interests, sleeping hours, kitchen habits, etc. before sharing your address.

Honestly, though, I can't see the harm in asking. Many of our friends' names would be unidentifiable to me as being male or female. One that comes to mind translates as Morning Star with her brother's name translating as Evening Star. And, I have to ask for help with pronunciation from many of our friends.

If offense is caused by an innocent question, perhaps that would not be the roommate for you.

Best wishes. Is it optimistic for me to hope that you find a housemate who will also become a good friend?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AR USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 6:03 PM

I think it is important to be good friends with a housemate. Have you thought of meeting them in a public place to find out if you even like eachother? You should be able to tell Gender - I think_

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 6:04 PM

I gotta laugh because I'm wondering how to phrase the question on the telephone,

"Oh, by the way, I'm looking for a female. How's that work out for you?"

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
AR USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/12/12 6:12 PM

Don't feel embarrassed you can't tell by their name! Just say, Sorry, I don't know if Hannes is male or female.

I know Tylers, Taylors and Lynns of both sexes.

Claudia

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/12 6:26 PM

well, I will put everyone out of their curiosity and say I now have an answer. My current housemate (we get on well, I'm sorry she's leaving) helped me draft a polite email asking for confirmation that they'd read the bit in my advert about wanting a female housemate.

They came back and said they were a guy. They seemed faintly miffed, asking why there would be a problem and "not all men are the same". I know they aren't, it's just what I am used to. When I am getting ready in the morning with a towel wrapped round me, it's just more comfortable with another girl.

I said it's what I am used to (and prefer) and wished them good luck with their search. Glad I checked it out before they arrived though, as it would have been a tad awkward otherwise when I opened the front door!

I hate looking for new housemates, I find it stressful and time consuming. I hope to find someone, if possible, who I could be friends with. I hope I will find someone soon as my current housemate moves out at the end of the month.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Subject: how do I tactfully find out someones gender Date: 6/12/12 6:46 PM

I had a classmate in high school for over a year whose gender wasn't apparent to me at the time. Very awkward.

Would it be reasonable to ask for a fax or fax over email of the persons ID, minus any SSN or similar number? It's prudent to do a criminal background check of a prospective tenant or roommate at some point anyway.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/12/12 7:12 PM

How about '' Are you male, female or both ? My mom wants to know.''

Yes, do be careful.. overly so.. both in interviewing as well as choosing your inmate.. er.. roomate. I would run both a credit check as well as a criminal check...and speak to the landlord at the last place they resided.

My suggestion to you is to network your family and friends and co-workers in looking for someone .. thats your safest bet..

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> how do I tactfully find out someone's gender

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now
Acrylic Base In 5 Sizes

Acrylic Base In 5 Sizes

Buy Now
Butterick 5615

photo
by: CissieW

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.