SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > 1950's Themed Dresses ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
1950's Themed Dresses
based on comic character designs
HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 6/13/12 9:42 AM

My gal pals and I designed these three dresses based on our comic characters of choice: Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy. The girl in green and myself (in red/black) did all the sewing and designwork, and we each took care of our own accessories and styling.

(Photo was taken by my friend, Pat Gavin.)

On my Harley Quinn dress, I used two patterns: Butterick 6582 and 5748. I liked the darts on the former and the neckline on the latter, so I spliced the bodice patterns together. The skirt is a two-circle skirt gathered on the waist. Initially I had trouble with the waist of the dress making me feel larger than I actually am, but I dropped the waist by about two inches and it fixed that problem entirely. The skirt has a super narrow hem. I folded it up once and measured all the way around to make sure I had the same length, sewed, and trimmed the excess down to about 1/32" away from the stitching. I folded it up once more and did a 1/8" hem to finish it off. It really made a lovely difference, and I didn't have any of the traditional bunching or gathering issues I usually face when I hem circle skirts. The entire bodice is lined. It made me feel clever, so I lined the red part with red lining and the black part with black lining. I folded it under and tacked it in place on the seam allowance of the skirt and bodice so that no raw edges would be hanging in that area. I didn't line the skirt because I felt like it was too much material to do a lining for. There are three diamonds on the front and three on the back; I ran a long hand running stitch around the edges once I placed them, then did a very small, tight zig-zag around the edges. It looks really beautiful and I'm so proud of it. xD

Other details: I made three petticoats and a slip to wear underneath the dress. Oh my goodness petticoats are ridiculous @__@;; It's just so tedious to make them...very glad I did, but it was tough! The collar is white silk with a hand rolled hem. The gloves are vintage 1950's white kid leather, but my grandmother gave me a pair of my great-grandmother's wrist length gloves that I will likely wear next time instead.

The green dress was made by the wearer herself; she used a McCalls pattern, I think, and just made some design changes.

The black dress was made by the redhead and I together; we lined the bodice with silver (another classic color for Catwoman) so you see the pop when the sleeves are rolled up. The collar actually stands straight up, but the girl wearing it preferred to keep it down.

I think for next time, I want to make a tiny pillbox hat with netting on it, rather than wearing the headband. The headband was cute, but I didn't feel like it was quite period appropriate enough.

Anyway, I think I am the most proud of this costume than of anything I have every sewn. I hope you all enjoy it! <3

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 6/13/12 9:47 AM

YOU DID A GREAT JOB ON THAT DRESS. DID YOU SEW THE OTHERS TWO?
What a cute picture of you and your buddies gril friends.
Just beautiful!!!!!!!

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

MommaMonster
MommaMonster
Member since 9/5/11
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 12:57 PM

I don't often come out of lurkdom, but for this I just HAD too.

Holy smokes, Batman!!!

*fans myself*

Those dresses are amazing.

We're going to see 'Batman Live' in October and now I want something like that to wear.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 6/13/12 1:10 PM

What fun!! You all did a great job and the accessories are perfect...love the one red one black shoes and the green gal had nice ones also..just perfect..

Where will you be wearing these?? I'm betting that some of your other friends are wishing that they could sew!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 6/13/12 3:15 PM

What a GAS! You are Da Bomb!

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 6/13/12 6:34 PM

FUN FUN FUN! These are great

Sickofitcindy
star
Sickofitcindy
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/1/08
Send Message

Subject: 1950s Themed Dresses Date: 6/13/12 7:11 PM

Love them!

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 0:55 AM

What fun! The three of you look amazing.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
The more I learn, the less I know.

Heather42kw
Heather42kw
Member since 1/22/11
Send Message

Subject: 1950s Themed Dresses Date: 6/14/12 2:01 PM

too cute!

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
online now
Send Message

Subject: 1950s Themed Dresses Date: 6/18/12 2:10 PM

Thank you all so much!! <3

Skae: I sewed the red and black dress myself. The girl in green sewed her own dress. The two of us sewed the black dress together. :)

MommaMonster: Haha I am glad to have brought you out of lurking! <3 Oh man, I hope you enjoy Batman Live; I hear it's awesome!

Jannw: We wore them to a comic convention, which was just a blast. I plan to wear my dress for when I go to see the new Batman movie that is coming out. :3 Otherwise...I am sure I will come up with some special occasions to wear it! Next time though, definitely need hose.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> 1950's Themed Dresses

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Kwik Sew 2467

photo
by: rmusic1

Review
J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.