SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > OB/GYN's...hate them! ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
OB/GYN's...hate them!
Anyone else going through this?
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 5:46 PM

I'm 55 and perimenopausal. I went to my OB/GYN for my yearly Pap recently and she said I had atypical squasoma cells and a bacterial infection and was put me on an antibiotic for the infection. They want me to have another Pap in 6 months. Back in 2006 with a different dr I had the atypical thing and they said I had cervical dysplasia and did some procedures and my Paps have been normal ever since. This dr said the last two Paps have been suspicious. They never mentioned this to me and wouldn't you think if it was they would have told me to have another Pap in 6 months! I found a letter back in 2010 saying the Pap was normal but showed inflammation which can be cause by a bacterial infection, recent intercourse, etc. but nothing was mentioned last year when I had my Pap. I was told it was normal. The nurse who called me with my results really pissed me off saying that I must have not heard the doctor. I do believe I would remember something like that!

Well, I just went to a different OB/GYN and had another Pap done and just got the results today and perfectly normal...no inflammation, atypical squacoma cells, signs of malignancy...nothing! I hate doctors! When I told her that I take bio-identical hormones, progesterone cream and have been trying Estriol but experiencing burning, she tells me they are unsafe but then wants to know if I'd be interested in taking the synthetic kind like Premarin which ARE known to cause breast cancer. What the hell! My husband said you should have asked her "what does it do then? Show me some statistics that prove they are harmful. I probably really would have pissed her off then. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Anyone taking Estriol the compounded kind? They've tried me on three kinds and I experience burning and itching. I even thought maybe I still had the bacterial infection but no mention of it today.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 6/14/12 6:03 PM

Yep.. all the time. I just follow my gut instincts and I ask a LOT of questions of both the Doctor.. as well as the pharmacist. Keep looking for both a Doctor and a pharmacist you have more faith in. That alone can give you better peace of mind.

Sometimes you just have to say you will not take that drug.. or anything in that class due to what you have read or heard.. and be firm about it. You do have to be careful about not only the drugs you are given. but if you are taking more than one prescription you will boost your chances of a bad reaction or such to one. Thats why its so important your Doctor know about ALL drugs you take.. even if its just once in a while . such as aspirin etc.

Tests can vary. they do so all the time. Thats why they repeat them. better safe than sorry with tests. Seems they are either doing too much or not enough testing sometimes. Once in a while I just refrain from yet another Xray or test for awhile. So far I am still alive and kicking... in spite of my Doctor prescribing me Vioxx.. which I refused to take due to what I had heard and was told. Lucky guess there. Two weeks later it was pulled from the market.

At least in this day and age you can do a search for info about these drugs.. and read reviews and ocmplaints on the Doctors and so on. This gives you ammunition at your Doctors office should you need it.. but don't overload on all that. Just get a Doctor you can trust and follow your instincts.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/14/12 7:27 PM

I have found that doctors do not like to be questioned.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 7:54 PM

Keep looking for a doctor that does not have a problem with your questions. It took me 5 years to find a doctor that I thought I could learn to trust.
I also have a lot of questions about any drugs sugested.
One thing I try to keep in mind when talking about drugs my doctor thinks would help solve a particular problem is that these drugs are all they have for a treatment. So if you decide not to take the drug then there isn't anything else the doctor can do for you. So you are left weighing the pro's and con's. Are the side effects worth the outcome. Sometimes yes. sometime no.
The thing I find disheartening when researching this stuff on the internet is how much conflicting information there is on any given topic.

------
Ada

HawkeMorningStar7
starstarstarstar
HawkeMorningStar7  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/21/05
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 7:57 PM

It could be a reaction to what the estriol is compounded with. Like a hydrogenated oil you may be sensitive too. Can you speak to your compounding pharmacist and have them compound it with a hypoallergenic substance?
Also i like Nurse Practitionists or P.A's in the OBGYN office. They tend to be more well versed in latest scientific results and spend more time with you answering questions etc.
Good Luck

------
.....Behold, a wonder did appear;
Amazement was my bliss.......

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 8:08 PM

Quote:
When I told her that I take bio-identical hormones, progesterone cream and have been trying Estriol but experiencing burning, she tells me they are unsafe but then wants to know if I'd be interested in taking the synthetic kind like Premarin which ARE known to cause breast cancer.

Who has you taking the above mentioned drugs? Your regular doctor or someone else?

Have you been to a Naturopathic Doctor? You may get better answers from an ND.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 9:07 PM

OMG, I recently "fired" my OB-GYN!

Went for regular check up, no complaints, no issues, no symptoms of menopause at age 49. I had just had my last regular, normal period two weeks before the visit. I told her I occasionally have an irregular period and she said, "that is normal at this stage" and indicated that menopause would probably happen in the next year or two, based on averages. So we're all good...

I *requested* a hormone blood test just to get an idea where I'm at and she agreed - just for informational purposes but not intended to be diagnostic of anything. Still, so far so good...

A few days later I get a call from her assistant, "The blood work shows that you are absolutely, positively in menopause (FSH 34) and we need to do an ultrasound, maybe a biopsy and possibly even surgery to find out 'what is wrong with you' (her exact words!) because you shouldn't be having your period".

HUH? Well I'll just skip over the whole argument which ended with me declining to go for these tests. I made it clear that I'm uninsured and paying out of pocket and I'll only take a test that is clearly necessary, not based on some flimsy conclusions. She argued the point to the point of getting huffy with me but I told her I just couldn't go along with their conclusions. I still have my period every month because I. Am. Not. In. Menopause. Yet... and I don't need an ultrasound to tell me that.

In fact, I'll ask you ladies - have any of you ever been "positively, absolutely" diagnosed as being in menopause based on one single blood test while you are still having regular periods and not yet 50? And with a FSH level of 34?

Didn't think so! Bottom line, I don't trust this practice and I don't feel that they treat their patients as individuals. As the assistant argued to me, "This is our protocol when the FSH exceeds 25, blah, blah, blah". I answered, "Yeah, but I am not a protocol, I am an individual and I want a physician who treats me that way".

(Me suspects that this practice has some expensive ultrasound equipment they need to pay for!)

I'll go along with you, I HATE DOCTORS TOO! The whole medical practice. Someone give me a reason not to - please!

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

n45
n45
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 6/26/03
Send Message

In reply to lisalu <<

Date: 6/14/12 9:34 PM

What I find amusing is Menopause is not a disease either. It's sad how we consider it that. Is it a significant biological and hormonal change, -yes, but a "disease" requiring expensive tests if there are no problems- NO. Cycles vary a lot during the Perimenopause window also.
Don't hate docs Lisalu Every profession has its share of knuckleheads and "C" students who managed to squeak by. Our medical system is woefully backwards in terms of preventive health care. A focus on disease only can distort things. Good doctors do great things in times of need. Best thing is to try to not need one too often if you can help it! If you do, it pays to shop around for someone who appreciates your ability to advocate for your own health.
-- Edited on 6/14/12 9:38 PM --
-- Edited on 6/14/12 9:40 PM --

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Subject: OB/GYNs...hate them! Date: 6/14/12 10:18 PM

I like my ob/gyn, but it took me a few attempts to find someone that I liked. I'd originally said that I only wanted a woman doctor, but my current one came highly recommended from both my picky SIL and a friend. I'm glad that I kept an open mind and gave him a chance.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

Cathy Loves Fabric
star
Cathy Loves Fabric  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/16/04
Send Message

In reply to lisalu <<

Date: 6/14/12 10:37 PM

It is your decision to have the additional testing done or not. But I think you would have been better served if a better explaination had been given about why they wanted to do further testing, not just that it was their protocol.

Here is some information about why they may have been interested:

FSH

Given the whole picture, you can make a better, long-range decision about finding an OB-GYN free clinic if you choose.

------
My hope is to sew to the very end. They'll find my head slumped over my precious Kenmore 19606 and have to pry the seam ripper from my cold, dead hands.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> OB/GYN's...hate them!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.