SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer L-500 Owners ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer L-500 Owners
Pfaff Feet and Straight stitch plate
Butter Bean
Butter Bean
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/2/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/14/12 9:36 PM

Singer L-500 owners I want to let you know that Pfaff 9mm feet will fit the L-500 if you have the Pfaff ankle (shank) #98-694886-00.

I had purchased some Pfaff 9mm feet from my local Pfaff dealer. They fit on the Smarter ( the dealer and I tried them on her Demo machine) so I assumed they would fit on my Singer L-500. Some of them worked but not the best, they didn't quite line up with the hole in the needle plate ( the needle would barely miss the the foot ) and on one of the feet I broke a needle because the needle hit the foot on the way down even though it had barely cleared it before. So I was afraid to use them because I didn't want to damage my machine or break any more needles. So I ordered the ankle (shank) from sewingpartsonline crossed my fingers and hoped that it would work so I could use the new feet. I recieved it today and now with the ankle attached those Pfaff feet line up perfectly with the needle plate!! Yay! .

Also for those of you looking for a straight stitch plate you can order the one for the Babylock quest plus SS needle plate #R1A2294000 ( it's SUPPOSED to fit the Singer L-500 according to the website sewingpartsonline) BUT it has a METAL PROTRUSION (cylindrical) on it that keeps it from seating down all the way. I had ordered one not knowing that it would have this on it. But I knew it would fit if I could just remove it somehow. I could have sent it back but it was $22 dollars and I knew if I ordered one from Pfaff it would be more money and possibly have the same thing on it.

So I called some machinist and welding shops and found one really close to my house. He told me he only did big jobs and I asked him who I should call to see about having the metal piece removed ( I had already called Lowe's and Home Depot), at that point he said to bring it over and let him look at it. So I brought to him and it took him not even two minutes to remove it and he didn't even charge me! I thought that was really nice! I even tried to give him money but he wouldn't take it. Now, he didn't buff the spot, but I am not complaining! I used a nail bufferer to smooth it up when I got home.

Well, to make a long story short it fits now and works PERFECTLY fine. So if you want a straight stitch needle plate you may have to find someone to remove the metal (cylinder) piece on the back unless you find that Pfaff has one for the Smarter that is smooth on the back. Or unless the Babylock Serenade has one that is flat. I don't have a Babylock dealer here where I live( it's an hour and a half away) so I didn't really try them. The Singer L-500 zig zag needle plate is completely flat on the back side.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this info out there . It may be helpful to someone.
Butter Bean
-- Edited on 6/14/12 9:42 PM --

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/14/12 10:02 PM

Just be sure that you keep the Pffaf soles with the Pfaff ankle, and the Singer soles with the Singer ankle.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Butter Bean
Butter Bean
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/2/11
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 6/14/12 11:28 PM

Will Do !

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to Butter Bean <<

Date: 6/15/12 8:19 AM

BB,
Would you compare the ankle from the 9960 with the Pfaff ankle for me? I wonder if it's the same? Thanks

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

Date: 6/15/12 9:04 AM

I am going to pay my local Pfaff dealer a visit and check out that shank! I've boughten several feet from him for my L-500. I particularly love the bi-level topstitching foot The foot is lower only on the left edge and it makes following any edge for hemming/topstitching so fast and easy. However, the needle opening curves slightly inward so I have to remember to not use my cutter when I use this foot because cutting puts the needle in center position. I've forgotten already and the needle hits the foot with a big bang breaking the needle. It would be great to have a shank that would make the needle useable anywhere in that foot's opening!

Thanks for the info Butter Bean!

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Butter Bean
Butter Bean
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/2/11
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 6/15/12 10:19 AM

sewingsilly --
Unfortunately, they are not the same. The 9960 ankle is for 7mm presser feet. The Pfaff is for 9mm feet. It juts out a little farther than the L-500 ankle.

Now, you can put the Singer 9960 ankle on the L-500 and the 7mm presser feet from the 9960 will line up with the needle plate hole and the needle won't hit the feet on the way down. You could probably use it that way but the IDT is pretty much touching the back of the ankle while it is in the up right position and it will move it while sewing so I don't really know if it's a good idea or not. I don't know if it will harm the machine or not. But if in a pinch and you needed a special foot to do something small maybe you could take your chances. I decided I didn't like that it was touching the IDT and it was hard to get to the button to remove the foot from the ankle because the IDT was in the way. And what if the IDT hit the button that removes the presser foot and my foot fell off while sewing that might be a disaster too.

Now on that note, I will say the the bonus feet you got with the 9960 that has the white plastic ankle ( viking/ husqvarna) those feet will fit the L-500 if you put on the white ankle attachment. I tried it and they line up nicely with the needle plate hole. also the white ankle attachment does not interfere with the IDT. So I am assuming that you could use some viking feet with that ankle if you wanted some other feet.

Also I found that my Janome rotary even foot will fit as long as I use a Janome low shank ankle attachment. But it will not work for all my Janome feet because not all will line up with the needle plate hole and some will line up with the needle plate hole but the needle will hit the foot on the way down. ( you have to check both of these things) I think it's weird that the rotary even foot does but I'm not complaining because at least now I can still use it as it was pretty expensive because it has the hemmers in different sizes.
Butter Bean
-- Edited on 6/15/12 10:25 AM --
-- Edited on 6/15/12 10:28 AM --

Butter Bean
Butter Bean
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/2/11
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 6/15/12 10:51 AM

Your welcome Pj3g! I was happy to let you guys know. You can order the shank from sewing parts online if you want but if you don't spend more than $75 you have to pay shipping and handling. The shank is $12.99 (#98-694886-00) but it might be cheaper to go through your dealer. I didn't want to go through the Pfaff dealer because I did not know if it would even work or be the right part and I didn't want to get stuck with it since all sales are final. ( that's why I was upset that the Pfaff feet didn't quite fit because I would not be able to get a refund from the Pfaff dealer) At least with online I have 30 days and if it doesn't fit I can send it back for full refund. Why can't dealers be like that!

I like that bi- level top stitch foot! I could have used it yesterday.

I wanted to ask you what was the smallest size Sew Steady extension table ( dimensions) and where did you purchase it from? And has anyone purchased a case for it?
-- Edited on 6/15/12 11:55 AM --
-- Edited on 6/15/12 1:38 PM --

Butter Bean
Butter Bean
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/2/11
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 6/15/12 3:01 PM

I just saw your cover that you made for the L-500 on flicker photo steam. I love it! It's so cute and I liked how you made a flap for the handle and pockets for the manual and foot pedal. I made covers for mine but I used a frosted shower curtain (heavy duty) from Walmart and made one for my 905 Huskylock Sergerand one for the Singer 9960. I wanted them to let light through and be neutral. I didn't think to put a space for the handles ( maybe I can still do that). I made them about a year ago. I don't have one yet for my L-500 but I like the way you did yours.

You are very organized! I love that everything looks neat and tidy and labled. Plus you have lots of great ideas thanks for sharing them here on PR.

I also love the way you organized your thread and bobbins. When I sent my sister my old machine I took your idea and put the bobbins w/ matching thread together with the pipe cleaners so she could keep it organized. I thought that was a great idea!

By the way, your Grand Daughter is a adorable!

Oh and one more thing, how do you like your 5 thread Singer Serger? Do you use it for the cover hem? I love my serger, it's 12 yrs old and still works great I just wished it had a cover hem. The Singer 5 thread is pretty reasonably priced for what it does.

-- Edited on 6/15/12 3:03 PM --

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 6/15/12 4:20 PM

I own the Pro 5 serger and think it's a great machine.

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

Butter Bean
Butter Bean
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/2/11
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 6/16/12 8:14 AM

sewingsilly -- Do you use the cover hem on it? Does it work well? Does it have automatic tension release? I know I'm getting off topic but I've been wondering about this machine.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer L-500 Owners

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2009-125

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Glam Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Glam Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Portabello Pixie Market Bags

photo
by: brissmith

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.