SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Mother of the Bride dress pattern ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Mother of the Bride dress pattern
Modest but not frumpy style dress for mother of bride
sammye857
sammye857
Member since 3/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/18/12 8:44 PM

I'm looking for an easy & modest looking, yet stylish dress pattern to make a dress for me to wear to my daughter's wedding. I am short & have a small bust so any V neckline style always have to be readjusted. Any suggestions? I was looking at Simplicity 2692 but someone said that it has too many gathers & I should look for something more simple & elegant. I have finished a very lacy shawl to go with the dress - so the dress can't be too fancy which will take away from the design of the shawl.
See the shawl at : http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/12/print_o_the_wave_stole.html

Any suggestions as to what dress style/pattern would go well with this stole/shawl?

thanks

-- Edited on 6/18/12 8:55 PM --

Riordan
star
Riordan
Advanced
Nebraska USA
Member since 7/7/05
Send Message

Date: 6/19/12 0:13 AM

Your shawl is exquisite!! Truly lovely.
What fabric and color are you thinking about for the dress?

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 6/19/12 3:07 AM

No specific suggestions, but I totally agree--the shawl you made is *exquisite,* and you don't want your dress to compete. I would suggest something absolutely simple--a little black dress (to emphasize the lovely teal color), and sleeveless (to show as much of the delicate knitting as possible).

Good luck!

------
~Gem in the prairie

susandf
star
susandf
Expert/Couture
Arizona USA
Member since 4/30/11
Send Message

In reply to sammye857 <<

Date: 6/19/12 9:43 AM

WOW! Beautiful shawl.

I think I agree with the commenter on Simplicity 2692 - but for different reasons. The pattern would require a number of adjustments if being short includes being short-waisted.

What are the colors of the wedding?

A dupioni sheath dress with an appropriate neckline (perhaps with a V in the back) with a hint of the wedding colors would be striking.

This Marfy pattern (and I realize that not all needleartists enjoy Marfy patterns) just cries out to be worn with a shawl...

Enjoy the day!

------
The Destashification Project - Stash Couture!

Sewshable1
star
Sewshable1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/19/12 9:51 AM

Vogue 8241
would be nice with your shawl

------
You can judge the true character of a man by the way he treats the people
who can do nothing for him

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to sammye857 <<

Date: 6/19/12 11:24 AM

Look at your closet. Choose your most flattering dress. Make it in a fancier fabric. Usually a solid looks fancier than a print. make the dress in a color lighter or darker than your shawl but in a similar color. if your arms are good, sleeveless is nice...if not..make sleeves.

MOB dresses are often too busy with details. Go simple. Wear a giant smile at the wedding.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to sarah in nyc <<

Date: 6/20/12 10:38 AM

Thank you, thank you! I've been undecided on which pattern/fabric to choose (from among six) for my mother-of-the-groom dress. Your advice is just what I needed to confirm what my inner voice was saying!

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

H0lly
H0lly
Member since 10/31/11
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 7/30/12 10:36 AM

Your post made me laugh - - - we should get together, because I have the opposite problem! Have a beautiful navy lace fitted sheath dress, sleeveless, with a simple round neck, but am looking for some spectacular fabric for an evening wrap. Not sure whether I want silk brocade or velvet, satin or georgette; pleated or sequinned or beaded; indeed, the shawl you have made is gorgeous, and would be a little too detailed for my dress, so guess I should go simple. (I'm the MOB.) Hope you have a wonderful celebration!

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 7/30/12 10:50 AM

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I did just want to say that your shawl is breath-taking and perfectly beautiful for a wedding.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Sewshable1 <<

Date: 7/30/12 5:45 PM

Quote: Sewshable1
Vogue 8241

would be nice with your shawl

Ha, you just answered my query for a pattern with cutaway shoulders in the pattern section of the boards! I even have the pattern! Now for sleeves...

Sammy, your shawl is exquisite, you are a true artist. Are you looking for a short or long dress?

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Mother of the Bride dress pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2010-120

photo
by: style insp...

Review
McCall's 5366

photo
by: Holmar

Review
Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Buy Now
Shapes Eleven Eleven Skirt Pattern

Shapes Eleven Eleven Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.