SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > How much do you buy? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How much do you buy?
You find a fabric you must have, but you have no idea what you will make.
solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 1:30 AM

I can see this happening to me.... I find the perfect pattern for the fabric, but I'm a 1/2 yard short. Or I end up buying 4 yards and have 1-1/2 yards left over. Or worse.

How do you decide how much to buy so you don't waste fabric, or be broken-hearted?

Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 2:26 AM

I kinda have an idea of how much fabric I need.
Usually 1 1/2yd is enough for a top and 2yds for a dress. (I'm very petite... 4'11")
So when I shop for fabrics I at least decide if I want to make a top or dress.
I know some patterns call for much more fabric (layered tierred skirt, or something on a bias), and for those patterns I just end up buying a new fabric... Or not make it at all!

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 2:49 AM

I have the GwynHug's How much fabric series. NAYY, but I use the heck out of them. They did the averages and what not. Matter of fact, I need to replace mine since they're starting to show their use.

Using them, I don't have a lot left over, which is a good thing and most of the time enough to make what I want.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/21/12 3:08 AM

For me, it depends on the width of the fabric. I usually purchase 2 yds for tops, regardless of the width, allowing for shrinkage and cutting/sewing mistakes. I'm not purchasing *expensive* fabrics, so I would rather have extra than not enough. I purchase about 2.5-3 yds for pants and 3 - 4 yds (5 yds if it's only 45" wide and a woven) if I fall in love with a fabric, but clueless as to what it may someday become. I purchase fabrics almost exclusively online, so I tend to go with more fabric rather than less, and stock up on the sales as I come across them for making trial garments (muslins) rather than using actual muslin fabric, which doesn't work for knits anyway.

Here are a few links to similar questions regarding how much fabric to purchase, that should be of more help than I am. :)

how much fabric 1
how much fabric 2
how much fabric 3

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 8:47 AM

I usually always buy 2 yds. If it's a bottomweight I'll get 3. If it's a coating weight I get 4.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/21/12 9:20 AM

I keep a slip of paper in my wallet for all the various garment fabric needs. I can usually tell what the fabric could be used for.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 1:14 PM

I use a combo of all the methods described above.

For tops vs pants vs tee vs dress, I have a general idea of how much fabric I will need and so buy appropriately.

I recently purchased the GywnHug's cards (NAYY) and they are VERY nice & helpful!

And sometimes if I have NO IDEA what I might make of it, I'll buy either just a little or quite a bit depending on how much I love it and the price.

HTH!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 4:14 PM

I'm a plus size, so I do 2.5 yds for a top, 3 yds for a bottom, and 5 yds for a dress (I like maxi dresses).

I don't think of the leftovers as waste, because I keep them for another project, eventually: a purse, a tote, an item for my 4-yr-old daughter, etc.

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 4:24 PM

Hadn't heard of GwynHug fabric cards before but what a cool idea!

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

TanyaMT
starstarstar
TanyaMT
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/28/04
Send Message

Date: 6/21/12 5:03 PM

Well, I learned something new and just purchased a set of those cards.

In general, I do have an idea of how much I need for certain types of garments, and the type of fabric would determine what type of thing I would make (pants, tee, etc).

------
My sewing blog: weebeaks.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> How much do you buy?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

McCall's 6612

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review

Pattern

No Pattern Used 1

photo
by: BJ1400

Review
Bluegingerdoll Odette Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll Odette Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.