SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Elastic Waist Skirt - Pattern sizing question ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Elastic Waist Skirt - Pattern sizing question
sewsherry561
sewsherry561
Beginner
MA USA
Member since 1/21/12
Send Message

Date: 6/22/12 9:54 AM

Recently I bought 1 1/2 yards of a cute fabric that I want to use to make a simple elastic waist skirt and if there is enough left over I want to make a top too.

I am not using a pattern for the skirt. I am going to basically make a tube and put elastic in the waist and hem the bottom.

My question is: how much larger than my waist measurement should I make the waist (top of tube)? I don't want it to be too bunchy!
My waist is 34 inches and my hips are 44 inches.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sherry

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to sewsherry561 <<

Date: 6/22/12 10:14 AM

You need to have enough width to go over your hips. My guess is that you would get a much better fit with multiple seams than with only one. 1 1/2 yards seems very conservative for a straight skirt, much less for a top too unless you plan on a very short skirt.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 6/22/12 10:14 AM

Since it will be elastic waist, it must be able to pull over your hips and have some wearing ease.

You can test this with a tape measure or string. Wrap it around your hips and sit down allowing the tape to slide through your fingers to allow for sitting "spread". That is a good starting point. Make large seam allowances also - it is easier to take in than let it out (from experience)

For the waist elastic - test it at your waist at a comfortable tightness; then test that it will stretch enough to go over your hips.

I have been making simple skirts for summer also.

sewsherry561
sewsherry561
Beginner
MA USA
Member since 1/21/12
Send Message

Date: 6/22/12 10:52 AM

Thanks Ladies! I am going to go with 48 inches at the waist and I have short legs so the finished length will only be about 24 or 25 inches!
This is just a quick casual summer skirt that hopefully will be comfy. I'm trying to lose weight and all of my clothes from last year are a little too tight for comfort. Perhaps by the end of the summer they will fit! I'm already down 1.5 lbs!

Just discovered that I have no elastic so I'm off to Joann's to get some!
Let's see what items the Clearance aisle has for me today! It is surprising how many items just jump into my cart when I visit the Clearance aisle!

There might not be enough to make a top...drat! I guess that my brain still thinks I'm a size 8! Maybe I can use some solid fabric that I have to do a color block type tank.

Thanks again and I'll try and post a photo when it's done!

Sherry

sewsherry561
sewsherry561
Beginner
MA USA
Member since 1/21/12
Send Message

Date: 6/22/12 5:01 PM

So I ventured out into this crazy hot day and bought some elastic.
Came home and cut fabric. I got up to putting in the elastic and must have had some sort of heat induced brain fart because I didn't make a nice clean edge on my fabric before sewing the elastic to it.....I noticed this when I went to try it on, after I folded the elastic over and stitched it down! I used a method that I read about on this forum and it was easy to do and is not bulky at all!

Anyhow, it fits nicely although I cut the length way too long! I think I will use the excess length to make a fun ruffle for the hem edge. I'm done sewing for the day....my sewing room is way too hot!

Over the weekend I will take out the elastic and start over so I have a nice clean edge! Even though no one will ever see the messy edge, I'll know it's there and it will bother me to no end!

sewsherry561
sewsherry561
Beginner
MA USA
Member since 1/21/12
Send Message

Date: 6/26/12 5:28 PM

Success finally!

I ripped out the elastic and started over. I also added a little flair on the bottom with a lightly tucked ruffle. I haven't taken photos of my nice neat elastic casing....will do that soon.

I have worn this skirt and it is very comfy!

Here's links to the photos:

Blue Skirt

Me in Blue Skirt

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/26/12 7:14 PM

Looks great - congrats!

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

sewsherry561
sewsherry561
Beginner
MA USA
Member since 1/21/12
Send Message

Date: 6/27/12 11:48 AM

Thanks Laura!

jeanau
jeanau
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/19/07
Send Message

Date: 6/27/12 3:01 PM

Your skirt looks great...great fit and fun fabric!

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

In reply to sewsherry561 <<

Date: 6/27/12 8:33 PM

Cute! Looks very nicely done! I'd like to see how you attached the elastic. It sounded like you didn't make a true casing, but rather stitched the elastic to the waistband and then....??

I know there's a way to use an elastic waiste w/o making a total casing, but I don't know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Elastic Waist Skirt - Pattern sizing question

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Simplicity 2934

photo
by: AST

Review
Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2007-01

photo
by: kidmd

Review
SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.