SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Fabric Stash Software ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric Stash Software
Request for feedback on fabric organization software
zebazga
zebazga
Member since 12/28/08
Send Message

Date: 6/23/12 4:53 PM

When looking for software to store my fabric software, I wasn't impressed with most of the options or willing to spend that much. I've read that several people here use Evernote, but I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I found open source software called Data Crow that's a media organizer. It lets you create your own modules, so I'm creating one for fabric. I'm trying to balance between too many options and too few. I want it to be easy to enter the information--though time doesn't matter once you've entered all your stash and you're only doing one or two different fabrics at a time--but comprehensive enough that you can perform useful searches on all the entries.

Would you review what I have planned and provide feedback? I'd love to know what I overlooked, what is unnecessary, and basically anything that would make it easier to use before I create it and start cataloging my stash?

Thank you for your time. I hope this post isn't too long. Oh, if anyone is interested, the original software is www.datacrow.com.

The main software would have a few drop-down lists where you could select multiple items from a populated list.

The fields you type the info:

Name
Care (though probably could make this selectable too: cold wash gentle, cold wash normal, warm gentle, warm normal, hot normal, tumble dry low, air dry, handwash only, etc.)
Yardage
Purchase Location
Purchase Price
Manufacturer
Designer (not sure if manufacturer and designer should be separate. And Designers could be dropdown, maybe)
Line (I have no idea, but I saw it on another app. Any ideas?)
Width
Weight
Notes
Project
Alt Image

There would be one checkbox for Solid.

The items with a populated list you could select multiple items from:

Colors

Yellow
Gold
Pink
Orange
Red
Silver
Brown
Gray
Purple
Green
Blue
Black
White
Bronze
Copper

Type

Cashmere
Chenille
Cotton
Cotton Blend
Cotton Broadcloth
Cotton Organic
Damask ?? (is this a type or style?)
Denim
Duck Cotton
Fashion
Felt
Jacquard ??
Leather
Linen
Linen Blend
Linen Organic
Embroidered
Matelasse
Mesh
Moire
Mohair
Outdoor
Quilter/Craft
Rayon
Rayon Blend
Silk
Silk Blend
Suede
Suede Faux or Microsuede
Toile
Velvet
Velvet Blend
Vinyl
Wool
Wool Blend

Style

Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter
Valentine’s Day and Heart
St. Patrick's Day and Shamrock
Easter
Patriotic Holiday and Americana
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Animal - land animals: cats & dogs, farm animals, and wild animals
Architectural - brick, wood, stone, barnboards
Asian - stylized florals, cranes, fortune cookies
Backings - wonderful top-quality 108" - 110" wide quilt backing
Batik - it's all about the color! Prints and watercolor hand-dyes.
Bird - songbirds, chickens, eagles... all your feathered friends
Blender and Texture - Blender and Texture that "read" solid
Border Stripe - many choices for easy borders around your quilt
Bugs & Butterflies - cute or realistic insects
Celestial - stars and planets
Children & Nursery - fun for babies and children
Contemporary - modern colors, forms, and styles
Country - farm and country themes
Cowboy - cowboys, cowgirls, and gear
Damask
Diamond Design
Dot - dots in all sizes and shapes
Fish - fish and other creatures of the sea
Flannel - soft and cozy flannel prints
Floral & Leaf - flowers of all sorts
Food - food and beverages, including coffee and wine
Fruit and Vegetable - a garden full of healthy choices
Geometric
Ikat
Jacquard
Landscape - create your own world from these sea, sky, and land
Lattice Design
Leaf, Vine, and Scroll - leafy and swirls
Mens - designs to please men and boys
Metallic - add sparkle and shine
Movie and Cartoon - from TV to the big screen
Music - musical instruments and sheet music
Nature and Northwoods - log cabin, lodge, hunter, and wildlife prints
Nautical - ocean, sailing, beach, lighthouse, and seashell motifs
Novelty
Paisley Panel - for quick crafts, pillows, wallhangings and soft books
Party - celebration themes, balloons galore... great for party decor
People and Character - personality plus!
Pink Ribbon - breast cancer awareness , also teal and red ribbons
Plaid - checks, plaids, & houndstooth, both printed and yarn-dyed wovens
Polka Dot and Dot
Religious - Christian and Jewish motifs
Reptile - dinosaurs, snakes, frogs, lizards, geckos and gators
Retro - retro and vintage designs
Scenic - larger scale all-over scenic designs
Small Scale Design
Southwestern - chili peppers, kokopelli, and Native American motifs
Sports - football, hockey, baseball and more
Stripe - stripes in all colors and widths
Tapestry
Tropical - floral and jungle prints
Vehicle - planes, trains, automobiles, school bus, and construction equipment
Wides - quilt backings and tablecloth widths, 58" wide and up, also scrub prints
-- Edited on 6/23/12 4:54 PM --
-- Edited on 6/23/12 4:55 PM --

tinflutterby
tinflutterby  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 8/9/11
Send Message

Date: 6/24/12 0:48 AM

I would separate fiber from weave and from other modifiers. Sometimes I care that it is cotton but other times I want bottom weight don't care about the fiber.

zebazga
zebazga
Member since 12/28/08
Send Message

In reply to tinflutterby <<

Date: 6/24/12 6:57 PM

Quote:
I would separate fiber from weave and from other modifiers.

That's great advice. I'm new enough in the sewing world, would you check my division? Some in Weave are a little loose.

Fabric

Bamboo
Cashmere
Cotton
Cotton Blend
Cotton Organic
Flax
Hemp
Leather
Linen
Linen Blend
Linen Organic
Lycra
Mohair
Poly
Rayon/Viscose
Rayon Blend
Silk
Silk Blend
Spandex
Suede
Suede Faux or Microsuede
Velvet
Velvet Blend
Vinyl
Wool
Wool Blend

Weave/Type

Broadcloth
Chenille
Cotton Duck
Damask
Denim
Fashion
Felt
Knit
Jacquard
Embroidered
Matelasse - A heavy & soft upholstery-weight textile in Jacquard weave.. Surface appears puffy or cushioned. Also called double cloth.
Mesh
Moire
Muslin
Outdoor
Quilter/Craft
Satin
Toile

I'd still love to get more feedback, especially from all the women who have done so much work with software posting in the Pattern File Software thread. That thread is what gave me the nerve to start this. The people who have tried many software packages and designed their own were inspiring!

Thanks to all.
Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 6/24/12 8:35 PM

It looks like you've covered all the attributes that I would have thought of. I took a look at datacrow.net and the software looks interesting. It would probably be a handy tool to keep track of patterns and notions as well.

Thanks for the information!

Lizzie1
Lizzie1
Beginner
Member since 3/26/10
Send Message

Date: 6/27/12 11:51 AM

You have a couple of image spots, but you might wabt to add one for a photo of the info from the end of the bolt cardboardfor care, fabric, etc.

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/27/12 2:36 PM

I agree about weave vs fiber. And I believe Designer vs Manufacturer should be 2 fields.

What do you do with a stretch woven?

I believe Line refers to names like Liberty of London Tana Lawn Hello Kitty @ Fabric.com which has 9 fabrics listed but 4 designs.

Also sheer, blouse/dress weight vs bottom weight vs outerwear? I admit I didn't read the entire list of fields so maybe you put this in already?

Disclaimer: I deal with databases as a user in my professional life and it can be HELL ON EARTH if the information is not well defined and standardized.

I vote for as many drop-down menus as possible.

-- Edited on 6/27/12 2:43 PM --

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 1:35 AM

I took your lead, but I used GCstar. I found it to be easier on me.

Thank you so much for starting this thread!

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 2:08 AM

Project field- is that where you'd put the pattern # and company once you've cut and sewn? Or, maybe you're not only garment making? Would you say denim jeans, sleeveless cowl dress, baby quilt, kitchen curtains, etc.?

Would you have 1 fabric recorded to a page, or more? Is image a picture of the fabric? Or, would you attach a swatch?

I'm very interested to see how you progress. Thanks for posting your ideas in detail.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

zebazga
zebazga
Member since 12/28/08
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 0:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for the discussion. I've built XML files to populate my database, and am happy to share both the XML files and the DataCrow database, if anyone is interested.

I've gotten nervous because it is a db, but with the XML files, it's actually easy enough to create a database, populate it, try a couple of entries and then go back, so I'm telling myself to stop dawdling :-)

Some fields, such as Project, I'm leaving with a lot of room so I could enter what's appropriate for a particular fabric. For example, I might have so much yardage of something, I want to list something like, "top - pattern blah blah; doll dress - pattern X; lingerie bag"

Same thing with images. I added a third image, based on a comment. I was originally thinking of having a large scan of the fabric as 1, a cropped image of just 1 repeat (so you could use it with scanned patterns to see what it would look like) as 2, and now with 3 that could be for a pattern or whatever.

I'm trying to decide how to group the information, but I think I'll post that separately.

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 0:59 AM

I maintain my inventory in an Excel spreadsheet and just sort or filter to locate appropriate fabric. I maintain an annual log that lists the fabric in (both purchased and volunteer) and fabric out for projects so that I can stay in sync with my on hand listing. I was an accountant in a prior life so self balancing is important to me.

I didn't see a field for storage location --- I maintain the box number, shelf number or some other indication of where the fabric is stored. Do you have fields for usage data? If you buy 5 yards of something you might use it in 2 or 3 projects before it is gone -- and you will want to know how much you have on hand at any given time.

I was keeping too many short cuts of fabric, so I started logging how much fabric I scrapped (part of the usage total) -- I toss it in a scrap bin to use for smaller projects, tests and trim and I have the discipline to move stuff from the scrap bin to the trash if the bin starts overflowing.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Fabric Stash Software

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.