SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > What's your favorite thing about sewing? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What's your favorite thing about sewing?
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/23/12 5:50 PM

Is it fmq? Pattern drafting? piecing? applique? Selecting the fabrics and thread colors?

Fore me it's the time spent actually doing the sewing.
I really, really don't like the cutting and marking of patterns.
I love everything about the machines and working with them.
And the fabrics, of course.
Right now I'm stressing over the design of my new quilt project. I don't know which patterns to use for the blocks and which for the sashing...and I've been looking at this for a couple of months now...the inspiration is just not coming to me.
I really like having a small project or two that I can just pick up and work on when I get the urge.
Sometimes garments and whole quilts can be too overwhelming.
I have patterns for a boyfriend jacket and a pair of fleece pants but can't get up the nerved to start them.
I think I need a sewing buddy (other than the one who's snoring at my feet).

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Whats your favorite thing about sewing? Date: 6/23/12 5:56 PM

I love the fabrics and thinking of the potential for each piece, I like sewing things together, like building a puzzle. I am not fussy on cutting out nor drafting but seem to do a fair bit of that. As I go along I find that as I have slowed my sewing down, I enjoy things about it that were a bother before. :)

------
Formerly The Canadian

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 6/23/12 7:00 PM

For me it is the challenge of putting something together and (hopefully) enjoying the end result. I love picking the fabrics and colours.

I have to say I HATE getting the fabric on grain - which is seldom is - and dealing with that. As well, the actual cutting part is usually a pain. Other than that, I feel immersed in the process so that it is almost an escape from all else.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/23/12 9:57 PM

I really love the actual sewing part. When I made dresses, I used to dread the pattern drafting part, it is so time consuming! But I loved sewing it together.

Now that I am quilting, I still love sewing the pieces together the best. I just LOVE watching something beautiful emerge from little pieces! I also really love picking fabrics out.

I still do not enjoy cutting. So tedious!

But the part of quilting I truly dislike is sandwiching the layers together. I HATE crawling around on the floor, I have to find a better way!

------
Cathryn

NancyAnn2
NancyAnn2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/31/10
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/24/12 3:02 AM

A couple of decades ago (!) I was visiting my brother in Calif. and saw this swanky quilting frame. I managed to get the brochure for it, and then took it home to Scotland where my DH made one for me. It finally got me off the floor! It has 3 rollers, one for each layer, and you turn them and line it all up that way. I did about three quilts on it, and then took it down, as it is over six feet long. Now, I see that everyone uses the mechanical ones at shops and don't quilt at all themselves.

Normally, I enjoy cutting out. Once I have it cut, then I lose interest. I think that is about confidence that it will turn out well, and I never think it will. My shape has changed and I have to be careful to get the fit right before I cut. I sometimes haver for weeks before I decide to cut something out.
-- Edited on 6/24/12 3:14 AM --

------
NancyAnn2

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 6/24/12 8:35 AM

I love the fabric and the creativity it evokes. I don't think there is an ugly fabric out there, as maybe it hasn't found it's perfect use! So even if it was popular 10 years ago, and is out of fashion now, there is still a current place for it somewhere.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

Glynis Ann
Glynis Ann
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/10
Send Message

Date: 6/24/12 10:51 AM

My favorite would be piecing. I start out with my FW, then when the project becomes cramped I move to the Pfaff. I’m not a pedal to the metal sewer and find the sound of the machines very relaxing. My friend is a speed demon. Her machine sounds hostile “grrr...grrr...grrr...”

I enjoy the entire process of sewing. I feel so productive as I measure and cut the fabric. Pressing reminds me of when I was a young bride and ironed everything including underwear. Sandwiching I’m not thrilled about, but it leads to the quilting part which I like a lot despite wrestling the item around in the Pfaff’s 7” harp space.

I dread picking out the fabrics...totally clueless. The ladies at the quilt shop are my idols.

Bobbinnoli
Bobbinnoli
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

Date: 6/24/12 11:45 AM

When making a quilt, I'm not too crazy about choosing the fabrics, although I think I'm getting a little better at it, thanks to my daughter & husband. They seem to have more confidence at combining fabrics than I do, and they help a lot. I don't like the ironing all the fabric pieces after I've prewashed them, it just takes so long. I kind of like the cutting part, and seeing all the pieces labeled and piled up, ready for sewing. I LOVE the sitting & sewing at the machine part. Definitely my favorite part.

I'm not a fan of basting; however, this has become a little easier because I get help from DH & DD and we have discovered spray basting. I don't mind quilting, and I actually really love sewing the binding down by hand, knowing it is almost done, and then I'll be ready for the next project!

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Subject: Whats your favorite thing about sewing? Date: 6/24/12 5:41 PM

I'm starting to think I love the dreaming stage since that seems to be where most of my clothing projects start and finish! I never liked the pattern layout and cutting, but fortunately, that's the part my Mom liked most when I was younger and living with Mom and Dad. But I like the actual sewing part. I like hand-sewing, I'm making two quilts by hand (years-long projects with no deadline in sight) but I also like machine sewing. Since I started collecting and fixing up people-powered sewing machines, my enjoyment of machine sewing has soared. I love being able to stitch away and still hear the TV or music or books-on-CD. Since I moved a favorite treadle into the living room, I've gotten a lot more sewing done, while not losing out on the precious time I have left with my son who will head off to college in August. I love the ticky-ticky noise it makes as it munches through miles of stitching. And I know when it starts going thunky-thunky that it's time for a new needle. How about that? A machine so quiet you can actually hear when the needle goes dull!

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

Glynis Ann
Glynis Ann
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/10
Send Message

In reply to sings2high <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/24/12 8:14 PM

Oh my word! “ticky-ticky” and “thunky-thunky” Those descriptions are so right on.

At last, another person who speaks the language of sewing machines.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> What's your favorite thing about sewing?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

McCall's 4286

photo
by: Thomasina4...

Review
Shapes Eleven Eleven Skirt Pattern

Shapes Eleven Eleven Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.