SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Blind stitch hemmer recommendation? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Blind stitch hemmer recommendation?
Blind stitch hemmer
Ann Rast
Ann Rast
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 6/15/12
Send Message

Date: 6/24/12 3:28 PM

I'm in the market for a blind stitch hemmer but I have no idea about the best machine for me. I will want to hem clothing plus some window treatments. It looks like there are a number of brands and models so any recommendations would be very much appreciated. It needs to be easy to use (of course) and as trouble-free as possible. Thanks.
Ann

Tarrbaby
Tarrbaby  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/28/06
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 10:03 AM

I have the portable consew. It does as nice a job as the commercial machine in the alteration shop where I work. I have not had trouble, but you do need to adjust "the bite" for different weight fabrics.

------
Dawn T.

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 11:42 AM

Ok... I'm just curious what exactly is a "blind stitch hemmer"?

I'm guessing it's a separate machine that only does a blind stitch?? Why get one of these vs. using a sm??

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Ann Rast <<

Date: 6/25/12 4:59 PM

I love my Babylock blindhemmer, but only use it for slacks and muslin fittings. I've never used it for heavier stuff like curtains.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 6/25/12 5:57 PM

Many sewing machines can do an overcast stitch, meant to mimic a serged stitch, and/or a twin needle stitch to mimic coverstitch. The blind stitch a sewing machine does is not the same as a blind hemmer.

A sewing machine needle moves vertically; the blind hemmer needle moves horizontally, skimming the fabric.

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

BernieSC
BernieSC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
South Carolina USA
Member since 7/15/06
Send Message

In reply to Ann Rast <<

Date: 6/25/12 7:02 PM

I have the Reliable MSK 588 which is made in Taiwan since 2010. I absolutely love this machine. It has the curved needle and will do light-weight to medium-weight window treatments as well as clothing.

Regardless of what brand of machine you get - just be sure that it is made in Taiwan not China. I was advised by many that the machines made in Taiwan were made better - parts, etc. Also, a machine with a curved needle is best.

I can't say enough about the Reliable Corporation regarding their Customer Service - it's the absolute best! They are located in Toronto, ON. If you should need to call them the 800 telephone number is: 800-268-1649 and the website is: www.reliablecorporation.com

Should you have a problem you can call them directly and they will walk you through it. I believe that Nancy's Notions started carrying the Reliable 588 MSK as of 7-06-12 or you can buy it directly from the Reliable Corporation on their website or the 800 telephone number. Please read my review on their website.

Good Luck.

Bernie Giannotti
Seneca, SC
-- Edited on 6/25/12 7:38 PM --
-- Edited on 6/25/12 7:39 PM --
-- Edited on 6/25/12 7:41 PM --
-- Edited on 6/25/12 8:01 PM --
-- Edited on 6/25/12 8:03 PM --

------
Bernie/SC

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Ann Rast <<

Date: 6/25/12 10:06 PM

I have the tacsew t-50 or t-500 blindhemmer. I have never had trouble with it. I had it for 16 years. it looks like this one on ebay.

Heres the web. page blindhemmer
there are a few on ebay. I ordered mine from a dealer for 500.00 16 years ago.
-- Edited on 6/25/12 10:07 PM --

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Ann Rast <<

Date: 6/25/12 10:25 PM

Amazon.com has 1 Reliable MSK-588 in stock, $399 and free shipping.

They also have the TacSew T-500, 9 left in stock, $490.
-- Edited on 6/25/12 10:25 PM --

------

Ann Rast
Ann Rast
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 6/15/12
Send Message

In reply to BernieSC <<

Date: 6/26/12 8:25 AM

Thank you for the recommendation. I did a little research on Reliable and they seem like a good company. I can't figure out what the difference is between the different models as they all appear to be the same. I'm not familiar enough with them to even know what to ask except I now believe that I need to look for one with a curved needle. I would like the capability to do light to medium weight window treatments; nothing heavier than a cotton with a lining. While that will be limited, I still want to be able to do it if I want. Would you be able to recommend a specific model or would you suggest that I just call the company? Thanks so much!
Ann

Ann Rast
Ann Rast
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 6/15/12
Send Message

In reply to skae <<

Date: 6/26/12 8:28 AM

Thank you so much. I saw a demo of a TacSew over the weekend but I didn't know enough about it to ask an intelligent question. Does this one have the table swing away so you can do sleeves and pants legs? Do you think this would be okay for medium to light-weight window treatments? I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
Ann

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Blind stitch hemmer recommendation?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

McCall's 6338

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review

Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

More Info
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.