SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Fascinating Blog page ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fascinating Blog page
about how sewing was taught in the 20's
solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/24/12 11:57 PM

They didn't make garments! They practiced tasks... i.e. how to make plackets, and collars and darts, etc. This is so interesting!

vintage sewing lessons
-- Edited on 6/24/12 11:57 PM --

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 8:11 AM

I love it. I hated sewing in Home Ec, as I already knew how to sew and had made dresses already. It was so boring. But I think this was more along the line of mastering techniques, rather than how to operate a machine, which I think home ec boiled down to. In the sewing part of the class, we made and apron and a skirt, not necessarily mastering any technique along the way.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/12 8:35 AM

Really cool link, thanks for sharing!

I took county extension sewing lessons in the '70's because my Mom thought it was a proper thing for girls to do. We made hideous palazzo pants with a drawstring waist that I never wore. Seems like back then all "beginner" projects were some ugly shapeless garment that could be made with minimal fitting - but what is the point if you're never gonna wear it?

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<

Date: 6/25/12 11:20 AM

I took as many Home Ec sewing classes as I could in High School. This included a couple semesters of "Independant Study." I couldn't wait to get through the first part of class where we had to make samples just like these. I wanted to get on to the fun stuff where I could make my own clothes. My teacher was very picky about everything, but I sewed to her standards and consider her my sewing mentor to this day.

------
Judy

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 11:53 AM

Interesting! I took sewing lessons like that about ten years ago, and it was definitely not a good match to my learning style. (We spent the whole 8 weeks perfecting darts--just sewing them neatly, not even fitting or rotating or any of the myriad USEFUL things to learn about darts!--a technique not used in Renaissance costuming, which is really all I sew.)

I was so frustrated that I quit those lessons, had a good cry, and decided I would teach myself. Two weeks later, I had my first gown (a simple sleeveless overdress, but still! It was finished!). And I've been adding to my skill set AND MY WARDROBE ever since. (Still don't do a whole lotta darts, though! LOL)

I took the basic required home ec class in 8th grade, but didn't realize until my senior year in high school that they even offered sewing classes! Everyone was so focused on pushing me along the academic track, I missed out on all the really awesome stuff that would be so useful to know, like wood shop and auto mechanics!

------
~Gem in the prairie

yttri
yttri
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 3/25/12
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 3:59 PM

Wow, that is pretty cool! I especially liked that she included the finished product in her notebook as very tactile reminders of how something was done versus a drawing.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to solveg <<

Date: 6/25/12 8:39 PM

Ah! This is so much like my Butterick book, The Art of Dressmaking that I have for sale here on PR. Here's a sample page: click here
It's really fascinating to see that they weren't totally interested in pattern sewing, but moreso in the techniques of making a garment.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 11:23 PM

The notebook is a great idea. After you learn the technique, you can go back and review it at a later date.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 6/26/12 3:08 AM

at my year long sewing class (only a few weeks left now!) we have been learning a different technique nearly every week. This week was pleating, last week was mocking, and in class yesterday I caught up with the petersham samples I hadnt done yet.

I now have a quite full folder of samples, which are nearly all done. It's been a lengthy journey making them all, but it has taught me a lot. I think it is worth doing, as some techniques would take you quite a while to tackle if they are not in a project you are working on.

OhSewSlowly
OhSewSlowly
Beginner
Member since 5/31/12
Send Message

Date: 6/27/12 9:08 PM

So fun to read!

I recently took a sewing class and the structure was similar - make a portfolio of sewing "tasks" (e.g., seams, zippers, pockets, facings) out of muslin. If I understand correctly this may be common in sewing classes for students on a fashion design education path (that's not me - I'm only sewing for my own family) and building a portfolio of these small sewing samples is an important part of thier professional development. I thought it was a great way to learn!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Fascinating Blog page

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

New Look 6097

photo
by: SewWil

Review
Christine Jonson Swing Jacket

Christine Jonson Swing Jacket

Buy Now
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 2599

photo
by: SewLoop

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.