SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Creating pattern templates to cut from again and again

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Creating pattern templates to cut from again and again
What do you use for a pattern template on a frequently cut pattern
Deb Thompson
star
Deb Thompson
Intermediate
Alberta CANADA
Member since 7/8/05
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 9:22 AM

I recently started selling something I've been sewing and I am finding that I have to keep re-tracing the pattern because it is becoming tattered with all the pinning and I also find that it's time-consuming to pin and cut and would rather have a hard template that I can put down and cut with my rotary cutter.

Do you create hard templates for your frequently cut pattern pieces and if so, what material do you use for your template? What other tips/tricks do you use to speed up your creation process when sewing more than one of the same item??

Thanks!!! (its good to be back - I've been MIA from Pattern Review for a while)

------
Deborah Thompson
www.debthompsoncollection.com

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Deb Thompson <<

Date: 6/25/12 9:49 AM

Welcome back, Deb! I have read here at PR that a lot of people use "oak tag" which is about like a file folder. So if you have small pieces, you could use a file folder. I believe Kathleen Fassanella says the pros trace their pattern piece onto the fabric before cutting, which keeps the pattern piece from being gradually cut smaller all the time. I can't remember how she said they transfer pattern markings (bust point, etc.) that aren't on the outside edge of the pattern piece.

Whatcha makin'?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 9:55 AM

I use the clear plastic template sheets you can find in the quilting section of Hancock's and Joann's. Here is the tip I wrote on the topic.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Deb Thompson
star
Deb Thompson
Intermediate
Alberta CANADA
Member since 7/8/05
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 10:20 AM

I'm making dog dresses. Trust me, I had NO intention of making them to sell but I gave a few to my breeder and its all gone haywire since then. There seems to be a huge market in my city and no local suppliers so here I am...making puppy dresses!!

Thanks for the two great tips nancy & tourist! I will look for the template sheets and try file folders to see if it speeds up the process.

------
Deborah Thompson

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/12 10:21 AM

Hi Deb! I use painters plastic drop cloth, which comes in a roll and in various thicknesses. I think my current roll is 4mm. The resulting pattern pieces can be rolled into a tube and taped, or folded. HTH

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/12 10:35 AM

I also use painters plastic drop cloth for most of my tracing for re-use - a minimum 3.5 mil and find that it is quite durable. I should note that I don't use a rotary cutter -- never been able to get the hang of that for pattern pieces.

I have used heavyweight cardstock for smaller pieces -- can also use the mat board that is used in picture framing.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
59.0 yards sewn (as of 09/17/14)
133.875 yards purchased (as of 09/17/14)

Teeavilnor
star
Teeavilnor  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 10/12/07
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 11:04 AM

Hi,
I use a old bed sheet. I like it because it lies flat to the fabric, I do use plastic but sometimes it will slip around.

------
Teri
Janome Sew Precise, DC4030PR, 634D, & 900CP,
Singer 1952 15-91
Great sewing is knowing exactly, what your machine will do.

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 11:30 AM

My trick is to fuse interfacing (the cheap Joann stuff works well for this) to the back of the tissue pattern. Preserves the pattern and as a bonus generally sticks to the fabric when you lay down the pattern requiring fewer or no pins.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

kayco
kayco  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/3/12
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 11:42 AM

Try thin wood particle board especially if you are using a cutting wheel. I learned this at square dance festivals where the clubs will offer the board patterns for tracing your own pattern to take home. Lay your own tracing paper on floor or table throw the board on top and trace away! Seems like it would work directly on fabric too. Of course your re-use would have to be worth the effort of cutting the Wooden pattern with a jigsaw in the first place.

------
Palace - Babylock Ovation - She makes me feel like a Princess
Cricket - Bernina Artista 730e - Steady, Smart and Sweet
Renee - Berina 1150MDA - My Tiny Dancer

Deb Thompson
star
Deb Thompson
Intermediate
Alberta CANADA
Member since 7/8/05
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 12:58 PM

Oh I never thought to put interfacing on the pattern piece itself! thats a great idea too! I was hoping to be able to make hard patterns so I could use them as guides while I cut with my rotary cutter but I suppose I could also trace and then put in a couple pins (with doubled fabric) to prevent movement and then use the rotary cutter..that would work too. I'm just trying to cut out as much time as possible. Become more efficient.

------
Deborah Thompson

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Creating pattern templates to cut from again and again

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Vogue Patterns 1323

photo
by: iluv2sew61

Review
SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now
Kwik Sew 2866

photo
by: SJ Kurtz

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.