SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Too many pets? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Too many pets?
how many is too many
allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/12 5:23 PM

I love my sis and she is buying my house with our owner financing. She is paying her payment right on time every month wihout fail and I have enjoyed their company. She is supposed to get her own bank financing next May. I just found out from her kids that they now have 5 inside only cats and she has been getting more dogs and is now up to 5 dogs. I am thinking this is going to affect the appraisal of the house and she won't be able to get it financed. She is very nice but doesn't want to take animals to the shelter where they would be put to sleep. There is not any tension between us we have had a really close relationship all our lives. DH gets so upset (towards me) everytime he goes by and sees none of the dogs in the yard meaning they are all in the house. Am I overreacting? I have one dog in the house myself.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to allycovey <<

Date: 6/25/12 5:46 PM

If she is a good housekeeper somewhat.. and the animals aren't causing structural damage. then I would say not to worry too much about it. Ask your realtor.. or a realtor in this case.. or even your bank loan officer perhaps how exactly appraisals are done.
For most appraisals. its a per square foot formula based on the average per square foot in your neighborhood. This is so often the case that many appraisers don't even go into some homes to appraise them. Now .. inspections that the bank may require are different from appraisals.. An inspector may note any dog damage to the home etc.. She most likely will have to get an inspection on top of an appraisal.
Some people who appraise and inspect homes can be turned off by animals.. by those type are usually turned off by any animal..one or five.. But generally speaking I would not worry about it.. unless the home starts to stink or is otherwise damaged..

All my animals are welcome inside whenever they want. but believe me.. that does require extra cleaning. The only damage I can ascertain is in need of repair is the grout lines on my ceramic floors. their toenails can dig into it.. which means I have to regrout some each spring.. and to be honest.. it may not even be their fault.. My cats don't climb drapes or such .. I also have to wash the walls.. particular the bottom part of the walls more often.. but that is a housekeeping issue.. not a damage issue.

Tell her a steamer might help also to keep the woodwork free and clean of dog hair. Whooses it right off .. even in the crevices. Not that she asked.. but......

The worse damage I have seen in homes that had dogs were homes with those old wood floors that are so nice.. If they continually pee on them they will permanently discolor those floors.. and they are not a cheap do it yourself repair.. I have french doors that keep my dogs from those rooms.. a dog gate or even a screen door temporarily put up would do that too.

You know things happen in life.. so since you do still own the home.. unless you know you can always continue the financing no matter what.. then I would ask her not to take in any more animals until you are no longer financing it for her.

She will not be turned down for a loan however. just on the basis on the number of animals she has. Hope that helps..

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 6:28 PM

Thank you piggling that does make me feel better, I did do some research online and found most appraiser only take notice if there is a bad odor in the house. last time I was in her house I did not notice a smell. (of course that was before the last two cats came to live there as well) A freind of my sisters (who is a very sweet person) recently lost here mother. The extra animals belong to the deceased mother and the freind lives in an apartment unable to do anything with the pets. The pets are old and sis cannot find homes for them. I am having a hard time with why more keep showing up though.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to allycovey <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/25/12 6:39 PM

We have friends who own a large house in which there are usually two dogs and five or six cats. A housekeeper comes in every week, which keeps the animal hair factor almost under control, but there's a problem in that the natural rotation of pets due to age means there are often territorial disputes. The upshot, so to speak, is a lot of peeing and some poop, as well, in favored parts of the house. Even though the flooring and subflooring have been replaced here and there, the underlying smell can be pretty remarkable on a warm day.

If this house were on the market, and I were a buyer, that smell would certainly influence me. However--and maybe more significantly--if the number of animal occupants had not been disclosed to potential buyers, and if I happened to buy during the cold season when the stench was not obvious, and the excrement problem became evident when it warmed up, I would be taking my complaint to a real estate attorney.

You or your sister might want to investigate some legal stuff here. There are state laws concerning the definition of 'cattery', 'kennel,' and 'animal shelter,' and with ten animals confined in a single structure, your sis might be flirting with a legal problem. In addition, some states have laws regarding disclosure of animal occupancy when houses are put up for sale.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to allycovey <<

Date: 6/25/12 6:40 PM

Response has been read by OP.
-- Edited on 6/26/12 2:33 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 7:36 PM

Wellll...I have 7 dogs. I have had up to 8 at one time. They are all indoor dogs 99% of the time. Mine are crated when left alone or at night for a variety of reasons.

I have had at least 5 dogs for the last 18 years and have bought and sold 4 houses with no problem. My house now is on the market and despite the economy we got an offer from the first people who looked at it.

I agree though that they can cause some damage and do require lots of extra cleaning but for me it's worth it. They are my buddies and my hobbies as well. We play sports with them so mine are all active dogs.

Unless she isn't cleaning and picking up after them, it should be fine.

eta...this is what a house with 7 dogs in residence can look like. One picture shows some grass damage but that was from our landscaping project not the dogs.

Ours is the first one listed.

Listing
-- Edited on 6/25/12 7:44 PM --

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 6/25/12 9:09 PM

Seriously drooling. (over the house, not with the dogs)

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 10:27 PM

Kim that is a beautiful house.

yes DH has had a few problems with it already, it was chickens she had before that were a problem, however, seems natural predators took care of that problem for us. THere are many coyotes, owls, hawks, and animals of that nature out here. It is a woodsey area with with 2- 10 acre lots all backed by government land. ( Lots of wildlife.)
Then we had a problem with their loan not going through because the appraisal coming in so low. WE had just had it appraised one year before and the house came in at 135000. Last May's appraisal was 68000. Quite the drop in values which I think is the real problem DH is having. I know real estate markets are down and caused the drop. This is what the banker told me. However, that is a very difficult thing for DH to believe. I think he keeps getting angry because the values drop so low and he thinks it has to do with them. THey are supposed to go to the bank again in May and the property values are coming back up. Hopefully all will go ok.

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 6/25/12 10:30 PM

OH and I don't think a couple of cats and a couple of dogs would bother DH as much, but five of each. I love cats but hate litter boxes even for one. Five cats using a liter box I can't help but think would be bad, OH and this is a very old historic house DH completely renovated all hardwood floors throughout custom cabintry, he is a very good woodworker.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 6/25/12 10:34 PM

Sometimes I think that the homes of pet owners are even more clean.. as we have to clean thoroughly and on a more regular schedule..

Since she is not worried about the sale of the home.. as her sister is buying it.. she has a bit of a different situation than someone who might be trying to sale their home in todays market..

Your post reminded me of that old redneck joke.. You might be a redneck if your dogs created the walkway in your yard. That is certainly true in my case. The two garden paths are so used so often that I am afraid they are there forever. In fact we have talked about just putting in stone or pavers in those areas.. but are afraid they might veer off them and make other pathways if we do that.. .. so for now.. we just live in harmony as they are.

A couple of weekends ago.. my DH and I were out working like dogs in the yard.. pardon the pun.. it was hard work and it was hot.. we had been out for quite a while when it occurred to me there was not a dog to be seen .. So there we were.. outside working.. and there were the dogs.. all inside in the cool relaxing their little hearts out.. poor things. I can't imagine making an animal stay outdoors in the heat of the summer.. nor the cold that winters can bring. A dogs temp runs about l0l.. and add the fur to that. they can over heat easily.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Too many pets?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Simplicity 5876

photo
by: lauramae

Review
Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 75mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 75mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.