SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Table Cloth fabric ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Table Cloth fabric
fabric type
WantToSewAgain
WantToSewAgain
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/15/11
Send Message

Date: 6/28/12 0:15 AM

What kind of fabric would I use for a casual table cloth? I'm thinking 100% cotton. But, would quilting type fabric be too thin? My store bought table cloth is 100% cotton but the material feels thicker than the stuff I see at the fabric store. My table is fairly narrow so 45 inch would be wide enough. It is an odd size that is why I want to sew some since I can't find any that fit properly.

This is for a table in the breakfast nook so it is a casual area. I would really like to use fabric with a vintage 50s theme such as this 50s appliances or this kitchen utensils. Would this type of fabric work?

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 6/28/12 1:12 AM

I would try home dec fabric, or add another layer to the thinner fabric. Both of those fabrics are really cute.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 6/28/12 9:10 PM

I would use the cotton on top (it will prolly be easier to find that type of print in a cotton) and then add a layer of fusible fleece or something underneath to give it some weight AND to protect the top of your table!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 6/28/12 11:06 PM

I made a cute one out of oilcloth (which these days means vinyl laminated fabric)
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?reviewnum=70515

There are some adorable oilcloths...
http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-table-top-fabric-designer-laminated-fabric.aspx

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to WantToSewAgain <<

Date: 6/28/12 11:13 PM

Have you checked vintage linens? They are fun to shop for and if you find one that is damaged it is not quite so distressing to cut into it.

I love the feel and weave of the vintage cloths and keep one folded in the freezer to use for rolling out pastry.

For your smaller table you would also be able to look at hand embroidered vintage bridge cloths if you were interested.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 9:25 PM

do a web search on laminated cotton fabric. They make yardage in all kinds of patterns. A simple rectangle with the raw edges turned to the wrong side twice and stitched down is all you need. Custom tablecloths look best when you take care to include equal drop around all sides of the table. I've heard that you need to use a Teflon sewing foot, but I know I've sewn vinyl by putting strips of tissue on the seamlines and tearing it away later.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

Date: 6/30/12 12:33 PM

Use home dec fabric -- the cottons have more heft than quilting fabric. I usually base my finished size on the width of the fabric less the width of the table -- so if the fabric is 58 with a 44 inch table, I allow 14 inches for the drop and hem. A quick 2 inch mitered hem around the edges and it looks like high end table linens.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

Date: 6/30/12 2:08 PM

My mother makes cute table clothes all the time and I am about to modify a few of them to fit my table. She's used polished cotton in a cute plaid with a solid trim. My favorite is a cotton poly blue and white stripe seersucker! I am tempted to make shorts out of them... the fabrics wash up nicely. Let us know what you decide to make!

------
Carpe diem!

sissycat
sissycat
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 11/16/03
Send Message

Date: 6/30/12 10:13 PM

You might also consider using cotton poplin.

------
MarilynC.

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 0:39 AM

I used 100% quilting cotton for my table runner and six place mats. I used 2 and sewed them together so that all of the pieces could be reversible. It washes easily.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Table Cloth fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

New Look 6933

photo
by: Natasha Jo...

Review
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

Buy Now
Colette Patterns Taffy

photo
by: Jasst282

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.