SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Ice cream ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ice cream
Has it changed or have I?
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 5:39 PM

I almost never buy sweets anymore -- I've even lost interest in ice cream. I bought some today because it's pretty muggy and there was a big sale for the long weekend. The brand I bought (starts with Br...) is a very well-known brand -- I used to buy it regularly. It's way, way better than some of the other mainstream brands. But...

Hmm. It tastes to me more like oil-based whipped topping than ice cream. I may actually give it away. Has mainstream name brand ice cream ice cream all gone down this path? I'm pretty sure it didn't taste like this a year or two ago, last time I bought their ice cream.

I'm not asking for brand recommendations -- anything that tastes like real ice cream is probably a specialized brand that I can't buy here in Canada anyway, or that would cost a small fortune here. I'm just curious to know if other people have noticed this.

I've been trying to avoid as many unnatural/processed foods as possible, because they don't taste good to me. Also (this may be age-related) processed foods tend to slightly assault my stomach lately -- not sure why.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: me, about four decades ago

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 5:57 PM

I haven't had that brand for a while either. If the ingredients are still the same (sugar, cream, vanilla IIRC for their regular vanilla)I wonder if it might have gotten warm and re-frozen or something. Or it's not the regular full-fat/sugar/flavor version? I've yet to find one of those that I'm really happy with.

michelle_01
star
michelle_01
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 3/23/04
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 6:00 PM

Maybe your tastes have changed due to your diet. A strange thing happened to me during my pregnancy (probably due to hormones or something). I used to love ice cream, i mean love it to death. But once I got pregnant, I just lost all taste for it. And to this day, i just no longer care for it. Its really strange and mind boggling to me.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 6:01 PM

I've fallen in love with the Kroger Premium brand--black box.
New England Crumberry Pie and Tiramisu are especially comforting!

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 6/29/12 6:04 PM

A lot of products taste different to me than they once did.. Even potato chips.. not sure why either.
Try to splurge and buy a different brand.. if you don't eat that much ice cream. might as well buy one you enjoy. We are lucky here in TX to have Blue Bell ice cream.
You might also just try your hand at making home made once again. of course the taste of home made will ruin you for any store bought brand.
They have changed a lot of the ingredients in a lot of our foods.. so no telling if that ice cream is being made differently now. Don't worry about it.. just try another brand.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 6:05 PM

I used to love DQ's blizzards. Had one today and it doesn't taste the same at all.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, but it seems like it used to be a lot better when I was a kid.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 6:16 PM

You have to read the packaging and make sure that your ice cream is still ice cream. It's actually a regulated term in the US. Many have moved to frozen dairy desserts. I forget what they call the ones that have even slipped past that standard. Breyer's natural vanilla should still be ice cream. If you want ice cream with more of the good stuff you have to buy something like Ben & Jerry's. Not sure if you have these brands in Canada.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 6:50 PM

There should be a good local brand available to you. Yes, it will cost more; you'll eat less of it & enjoy it! (Foothills Ceamery runs us about $9. per 2 liters. Taste is superb.) Safeway's Lucerne is decent & with a sale will be $4-6 for a gal. We honestly don't care for the brand you've tried recently.

ETA: Processed foods have preservatives & additives that can upset your system. Some I simply avoid because I feel better without.
-- Edited on 6/29/12 6:54 PM --

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 6/29/12 6:54 PM

So it wasn't my imagination that the carton of Br... I recently consumed had a disappointing taste and texture. Disappointing to the point that I don't want to buy it again and, like you, it is what I have regularly bought for years for my occasional ice cream craving.

Our local natural foods store sells an organic brand that is pretty amazing. It costs a bit more of course. Maybe you have something similar in Canada that will be amazing for you.

(If anyone is curious, it is Alden's.)

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 7:21 PM

Ice cream is one thing that I can say "no" to. Occasionally, I'll have some, but I don't usually seek it out. But then there's gelato. Ooops. Shouldn't have tried that. Ciao Bella, available at Whole Foods, has a killer Belgian chocolate gelato, and their sorbet is great - Blood Orange for me, Mango for DH. In NYC, we schedule a trip to Grand Central because of the Ciao Bella shop in the food court. There, I indulge in cinnamon gelato or raspberry sorbet, both flavors I can't get at Whole Foods.

Umm...what was the question again?

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Ice cream

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Kwik Sew 3238

photo
by: Lynn67

Review
McCall's M6160

photo
by: unfinished...

Review
Towne Purse

Towne Purse

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.