SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Cutting Table- Tracey's, or? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cutting Table- Tracey's, or?
Need expand, contract and not sacrificing 1st born
wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 6/29/12 9:31 PM

I need a cutting table that works in tight sewing quarters. Well, actually not if you consider I cut in the kitchen, serge in the dining room and sew on the lower level of my house.

I digress . . . The Tracey model with leaves to expand or contract it may be just right. Since the website gives no prices, I've emailed the company for that info and any local retailers. I want to see an example in real life.

I'd appreciate comments on price and quality for Tracey's. I have no idea if I can afford this. It seems there are inexpensive brands that reviewers say meh, kind of rickety. Then there's ones at $1000 and up- not my price range.

And also, are there any other mid-price solutions? Thanks for any guidance.

I'm ready to stop sewing on 2 floors, although the exercise is great!

Link to Tracey's Cutting Tables
-- Edited on 6/30/12 0:48 AM --

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Cutting Table- Traceys, or? Date: 6/29/12 11:48 PM

Could you post a link to the table you are looking at?

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Sherril Miller <<

Date: 6/30/12 0:52 AM

Sherril, I'm just learning about links. I edited the original post and hope folks will check it out. The link just worked for me, but do let me know if not working on your end. Thanks for prompting me to get it together.

Once at the Tracey's site you can click to see the 2 table styles opened. Thanks.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 6/30/12 1:28 AM

Unfortunately wood worker's asthma has brought a halt to my wood working days. If not for that, I'd make a headboard for our bed with a capability for the flat front to fold up and a back extension that could fold up also. And then put the whole thing on casters.

Headboard at night, roll it to the bottom of the bed and flip the front and back up, cutting table by day straddling the end of the bed.

There is not enough space for me and a traditional cutting table at the foot of our bed. I've also been looking at nicer compact sawhorses that would allow me to set up something temporary over the foot of the bed for cutting big projects.

It's either that or move the sewing room into the office/spare room and install French doors that would open into the foyer directly across from the dining room table.

Sawhorses will be cheaper

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Cutting Table- Traceys, or? Date: 6/30/12 1:38 AM

The Tracey table looks really nice. I've had the basic drop leaf cutting table from Joanns for over 10 years and it was less than a $100.00. I recently upgraded to their adjustable height table with shelves and drop leaves and it was $130.00 on sale. I'd rather spend the difference on fabric.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/30/12 2:03 AM

Well, I like that approach to cutting surface issues!

Plan A: If you work out the design of your headboard/cutting table combo, could you include a hydraulic lift? Here's why- I like to burn the midnight oil and my husband likes to retire early. With the lift, my beloved husband could sleep in the bed underneath, whilst I cut on the raised surface above. Please note, I'm afraid of heights. Thanks for your consideration.

Plan B: Look at my link! I'm such a sissy about learning these things. I need a little encouragement. Thanks in advance.

Seriously . . . there's a similar relatively inexpensive table online at Joann's, but no reviewers are jumping for joy about it. As to home made, DH's table saw is permanently loaned out. He looked glazed at my gentle suggestion that being incredibly handy he make me a table.

Plan C: Buy something reasonable, but what? I'm getting serious about securing cutting space in my sewing nook. We are moving the treadmill out and the piano is going on a long term loan. I'm downsizing my collection of stuff and my mother's and my grandmother's. Egads! One day they'll discover a gene for collecting sewing things.

------

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 6/30/12 2:07 AM

Diane, good to know you had the Joann's table a long time and liked it enough to get an upgraded version. I'm afraid when I hear back from Tracey's on price, I'm going to need smelling salts. You said the magic words-

Quote:
I'd rather spend the difference on fabric.

Amen!

------

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 6/30/12 2:35 AM

I use this Ikea table. I added lockable casters (small ones on the gatelegs) so I can roll it away when not in use. It has deep drawers on both sides and is very sturdy. It is smaller than my previous cutting table, but I sacrificed that for floor space as I couldn't move in my sewing room.

------
chris

Melbourne

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to misschris <<

Date: 6/30/12 3:23 AM

Thanks for the link. This is definitely worth a look at my local IKEA. I like the appearance and generous drawer space; it seems sturdy too. I assume it's standard table height, but the casters make it taller. I prefer close to counter height, say 35 or 36 inches. As you mention, it's a tad small. My pinnable cutting mat is 40 inches wide and the table measures 35. My space allows for 72 inches (6 feet) on cutting days, but not always. The IKEA table max size is close to 5 feet. The gateleg design is great for expanding when needed and then shrinking the table back down. Thanks for the lead.

------

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 7/1/12 8:37 PM

I'd like to throw in my 2CW here. Don't buy Joann's--they are incredibly rickety, because I had one and gave it away. I was always afraid of it tipping over and my not being able to get it up. The screws wear out after a while and the table tips.

I have a friend who has a Tracey's Table, with a foldout. She remarks how much she spent for it (about $1000) but I've seen the table firsthand and it is beautiful! I wish I had one in my sewing room. I emailed the company, too, when I was thinking of modifying my sewing room. The response I received was so positive and full of "We want to help you", that I was almost sold.

As to the Ikea--that looks very durable and sturdy--much better than the Joann's; so much so I'm keeping the link.

But on another note, why not modify something you might already have? I have the bottom portion of a roll top desk, complete with knee hole (and modesty panel) to use as my sewing table. I attached a 14" piece of lumber to the back, and had the top redone in formica. It's a great cutting surface, although it's about 3" lower than I want (Now I want to "upgrade" but I won't get rid of the desk) I can store things underneath.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Cutting Table- Tracey's, or?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

McCall's 6078

photo
by: Sdtex

Review
Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hong Kong Vest Pattern

Buy Now
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.