SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Question about sewing pant legs together ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Question about sewing pant legs together
this has always bugged me ....
marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 6/30/12 10:21 PM

I sewed the outside seam of both pants legs using a flat felled seam and that went together beautifully (I'm making simple pull on PJ's for dgs).

Now I'm sewing the inside leg seams. When I pin the seam, one side is longer than the other.

Am I supposed to ease one side into the other? Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

------
Mary

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/30/12 10:36 PM

With any luck, it's the back inseam that's shorter. I always steam and deliberately stretch the top 6-7 inches of the back inseam, forcing the back crotchline into more of a hook shape. If necessary, I trim the stretched back to the length of the front if it winds up much longer. That back inseam is somewhat on the bias, and stretching it out before putting the pants together makes the back of the pants fit more smoothly, and without any rippliness (is there such a word?) that can look droopy and bulky and unattractive when the pants are worn.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 6/30/12 10:40 PM

I pulled out several of my sewing books. My Reader's Digest and Singer books don't mention this. "Super Sewing" (a Bishop book) says to sew the sides together stretching from the kneeline to the hem to get the two sides to match.

???

Easing in the larger side at the top makes more sense to me as that would help make room for one's inner thigh (at least MY inner thigh)
:)

------
Mary

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/30/12 10:50 PM

IMHO, messing with the seams (as in "stretching ) anywhere from the knee down is just begging for twisted grain lines. Below the knee, the grain lines have to be perfectly straight, and the pant leg should be balanced; that is, if you crease the pant leg down the center, the side seams and inseams should be equal distance from that crease. Above the knee, anything that gets the pants to fit is fair. So no, I wouldn't do any stretching and easing from the knee to the hem. Now, since these are pajamas, we don't have to get all fussy and worry too much about balancing the legs, etc. If you were making pants to wear out of the house, how and where you trued up the legs would be more important.

And BTW....the old eyes not being what they once were, I initially read too fast and thought you were making pajama pants for your dogs. Fortunately, I re-read it and caught my mistake.
-- Edited on 6/30/12 10:53 PM --
-- Edited on 6/30/12 10:55 PM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 6/30/12 11:03 PM

I didn't see your reply before I posted again Karla (you are so funny btw ... these are not for dogs - ha ha!)

Your comments made a lot more sense than the Bishop book ... I'll post again after I get the legs sewn. My grandson is here and struggling with allergies. I just gave him a Zyrtec and trying to get him settled for the night.

Thanks for replying ... I've had this happen before and never really took the time to get it right. I've often wondered why the pattern instructions never mention this.

------
Mary

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 6/30/12 11:31 PM

I took a class in Advanced Clothing Construction at college, lo these many years ago, and this was mentioned as a feature of better-quality patterns. The back inseam above the knee is drafted slightly longer than the front inseam, usually starting at the point where there is a notch for matching. You stretch the front inseam slightly while sewing and it helps to ease this in if you stitch with the front inseam up and the back inseam contacting the feed dogs. Yes, I know this means you will be stitching from the bottom up on one and the top down on the other, but they said that is ok for inseams (but for skirts, stitch in the direction the pattern specifies). You may find this makes it easier to match up the inseam between the knee and the hem. There should not be any stretching or gathering there, unless it is a design feature.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 6/30/12 11:33 PM

Quote: marymary86
Now I'm sewing the inside leg seams. When I pin the seam, one side is longer than the other.

One mistake that is easy to make is not matching the actual point where the SEAMS cross at the top of the inseam. It's easy to do, since one of the crotch curves is usually curvier (is that a word?) than the other.

(But I like Karla's explanation better! lol)
-- Edited on 6/30/12 11:33 PM --

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/1/12 11:29 AM

About 40 years ago (before baggy pj/couch potato bottoms) there was a sewing show on TV - Lucille Rivers. One show in particular was about sewing men's pants. She stated the upper leg should have a little extra "room". She then added, this will make the man wearing the pants very happy.

Ease in the extra and do not stretch the shorter piece.

The extra "room" does not apply to women as we do not have external equipment.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/1/12 2:55 PM

Your subject line makes me want to say: "no, don't sew those legs together - it is really hard to move...." HAHahhaa....Oh I am so sorry - I am so tired, and it just make me smile so much! Please forgive me......

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 7/1/12 4:41 PM

Connor came in, saw me sewing and got all excited that I was sewing HIS pjs. So I muddled through it easing in the fullness above the knee.

Everyone's comments were wonderful. I'm guilty of not marking the seam lines or the notches (and forgot until I pinned the seams about the lengths not matching up.

All I have left to do is the casing, elastic, and hems so I'll finish these and check for fit.

Then I'm going to sew another pair using everyone's comments and I'll post again. I'm betting the second pair is going to be a huge improvement ....

Thanks again for the comments; I know they're golden! I'm still curious why a pattern company would take the time to draft a better pattern but not say anything about it in the instructions (come to think of it - I didn't read the pattern instructions - face palm!)

------
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Question about sewing pant legs together

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Vogue Patterns 7387

photo
by: Cosso

Review
Vogue Patterns 8463

photo
by: Elizabeth ...

Review
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.