SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Overwhelmed by Empty Closet ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Overwhelmed by Empty Closet
Underwhelmed by choices :(
Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/2/12 6:10 PM

Is anyone lately in a 'blah' spot inspiration-wise? I'm finding the recent styles and the recent patterns to be totally uninspiring. Unfortunately, I've got a very empty closet and a new job..

In fact, how about a double eek:

I'm doing some modified t-tunics (pattern has existed for centuries,and if it isn't exactly flattering, it isn't exactly hideous either. I am making some simple, elastic-waisted cargo pants as well, since I like having pockets. But, after last years great tunic patterns, I was hoping for more in that vein, I must admit. But now I'm seeing weird unfitted, artlessly draped stuff even in Vogue (though I thought the new Marci Tilton had some promise.)

Where are you alll getting your inspiration and mojo refills lately? My usual haunts (Satorialist Blog, J. Peterman, Mod-cloth) are just NOT doing anything for me recently.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/2/12 6:16 PM

I actually felt that way about the Marci Tilton $1.99 sale stuff, although I'm reading that everyone loves her work. But I was looking at, for example, the turtleneck that has kind of a shifted grainline at some point, and some of the deconstructed details of some other things, and I thought.... "You have to be a really good sewist to pull that off. If I did it, it would look like I screwed up."

But apparently, the next big thing is big and deconstructed. Personally, I'm loving all the pretty dresses now and the wrap-arounds.
-- Edited on 7/2/12 6:16 PM --

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/2/12 6:56 PM

I'm not is the short answer.

The longer answer is that I am going back to vintage: Laverne from Laverne and Shirley, Mae West, 50s bad girls. I recently bought clothing from Fredrick's and Electric boutique since they had some cute stuff on clearance...and yes, there is a trend.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame <<

Date: 7/2/12 7:22 PM

Lady Mame, I agree with you. Vogue Patterns used to be the epitome of style, but I haven't even liked a single pattern of Vogues (or anyone elses) in several years. Yet, there are still beautiful clothes out there to inspire you -- you just need to know where to look to find them.

These days, I get my "mojo refills" by snoop shopping on the Saks and Neimans websites. A few days ago, I spent half the morning looking through hundreds jackets on both websites and found a few I'd love to knock off. This chic, little, thousand dollar Burberry was my very favorite.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame <<

Date: 7/2/12 7:57 PM

L.L. Bean catalog, every once in a while something from Mad Men or film noir, and I haven't given up midi skirts so they're still here... plus I am trying out Burda envelope patterns. In other words, I'm not feeling really inspired either. Much of the RTW part of my wardrobe is coming from Farm & Fleet (really the best source for jeans around here), Kohl's and LL Bean. It's boring, but it works. Otherwise, I suppose I'd be into the pattern stash for classic looking stuff... gotta love those multi sized patterns because a lot of them I bought when I was a different size...

I'm finding that the "artlessly draped" clothes are pretty much a disaster when I put them on. Before I gave up on getting a store-bought dress to wear to my nephew's wedding, I tried on a few of those wrap dresses, some of which had ruching around the waist which may have been intended to resemble a cummerbund. One of them managed to reveal at least an inch of my bra at the open neckline, bunched up and added bulk around the waist, pulled at the sides in such a way as to accent my hip fluff, and stopped just short of my knees (not my best feature.) Unfortunately, not having a paper bag to put over my head for the photo, I did not take a picture. (Wound up wearing Burda 7808.)

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 7/2/12 8:21 PM

Nancy -- that's a nice jacket, but I really have to work to look around the bad styling in the picture. I know, my internal eye could be better, but when I see so little, I'm not good at really digging at a piece to see it how someone might really wear it. (Gave it some time though -- wide leg pants and a bright shirt underneath -- would be great for a lot of women.)

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

In reply to dove29 <<

Date: 7/2/12 8:28 PM

I shouldn't giggle. I really shouldn't, but I know what you mean.

I saw this Vogue Pattern for a Shirt and well, I don't know about you but i don't want my hips or rear view to look anything like that.

On the other end, we have over-structured pieces like this one.

uuuuuuugh.

------

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<

Date: 7/2/12 8:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not is the short answer.

Ditto for me. I am so uninspired with the current fashions. It's hard to find inspiration anywhere and when I do, try finding a pattern. The one thing I'm doing is using older, OOP patterns. Ones from 5 to 10 years ago when I did like the fashions. I've pulled out quite a few older patterns in the last twelve months. This is when having a pattern stash pays for itself. That's my excuse anyway for collecting all those patterns.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame <<

Date: 7/3/12 0:29 AM

If I had that blue fabric, I'd do something else with it. You are right, probably anyone of normal weight or above would look lumpy. And those elasticized cuffs are probably uncomfortable.

But oh, that fabric.

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

In reply to dove29 <<

Date: 7/3/12 0:44 AM

Honestly, with a simpler neckline and a different waistline (either location or treatment) it's a perfectly acceptable shirt, but all that pointless decoration ruins what could be a cool, crisp blouse in that beautiful material. Truth is, it's not even worth it to try to frankenpattern it though.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Overwhelmed by Empty Closet

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-121

photo
by: redsilvia

Review
Vogue Patterns 1288

photo
by: 1SewSweet

Review
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.