SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Men Who Sew > Vest or Jacket zippers ... separating sturdy zipper ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vest or Jacket zippers ... separating sturdy zipper
Another new to me project ... help please
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 7/2/12 6:33 PM

I am going to make Simplicity 2346 men's vest in view D for DH for fall cooler weather & also he wants one to use for regular wear. I have never made something before that calls for a "sturdy separating zipper". I looked at Hobby Lobby but I did not see anything that says this on it. Also how do you put it in? I took the pattern over to my friend's today & she did not know either. ..... The fall one I want to make out of fleece as that is what he wants, the other one just regular heavy cotton I think I would work.
Has anyone made this ? Any special alterations needed ?
Please help ........... Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 7/2/12 7:58 PM

I haven't made this particular pattern before, but I have inserted a separating zipper. They carry them at Joanns and probably Hancocks, so if you have one of those nearby, go check them out.

The separating zipper is just like inserting a regular zipper except that it opens completely on the bottom, which actually makes it easier to insert at times.

Are you saying that the instructons for the pattern don't include how to insert the zipper? Please confirm!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 7/2/12 8:09 PM

Yes there are instructions but I am having trouble figuring it out. Thank you for your help. ... I will go over it again once I find the zipper . Will it say on the pkg separating zipper right ? And they look heavy duty? Thanks so much!

------

The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 7/2/12 8:52 PM

Quote: tgm and Kittys
Yes there are instructions but I am having trouble figuring it out. Thank you for your help. ... I will go over it again once I find the zipper . Will it say on the pkg separating zipper right ? And they look heavy duty? Thanks so much!

It's been a long time since I've bought a zipper in a package at a fabric store, so I don't know how they're labeled. But what you want might also be called a "Jacket zipper". I'd probably use a #5 zipper for that, with teeth, and not a coil. Metal or plastic, depending on what the fabric is and what's in my zipper collection. The staff at most fabric stores should be able to help you find what you want.

-- Edited on 7/2/12 8:53 PM --
diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/2/12 10:13 PM

I would use a metal zipper for the cotton, and a molded plastic zipper for the fleece. Don't use a coil zipper, they tend to split.
If you can't find the right length, you can go a little longer and shorten it from the top.
-- Edited on 7/2/12 10:14 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 11:40 AM

You'll get a better quality zipper for the same price if you order from Cleaner's Supply or Wawak.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 10:15 PM

DH took me to JoAnn's today... I was really surprised so very very few colors of separated zippers. I will look at the Cleaner's supply also to see what they have. I did get a zipper for practice that was on sale not coiled. Thank you so much everyone!

------

The sewing workers:

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Send Message

Date: 7/12/12 5:34 PM

Its interesting the different names we have for things. Here we call them Open End Zips :)

------
Blessings
Janice

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 7/12/12 5:45 PM

How long of a zipper do you need? and what color are you thinking of?

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to missticky2 <<

Date: 7/12/12 8:26 PM

Quote: missticky2
Its interesting the different names we have for things. Here we call them Open End Zips :)

Except, if you told me "an open end zip", I'd think trouser zipper, which is open at one end, but not both, like a separating zipper and opposed to a pocket zipper, which is open at neither end. What do you call a two-way separating zipper, like is found on some sportswear, where there's a second zlider that can unzip the bottom?
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Men Who Sew >> Vest or Jacket zippers ... separating sturdy zipper

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Paradiso Designs Tiny Handbag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Tiny Handbag Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.