SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Herman the german friendship cake ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Herman the german friendship cake
what to make with him?
LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 10:27 AM

Ok so I got give a tub of goo that is apparently a sourdough starter and instructions. Anyone else done this before?

I have 2 issues:
I don't like fruitcakes.
I don't have the type of friends who would appreciate being given a starter.

I thought I might keep the lot (although not sure about how I should feed 'him' if I haven't split the mixture) and making bread with it instead.

Although I'm a little worried I'm going to poison everyone as I don't understand the 'cycle' of the starter.

Help?

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to LDT2011 <<

Date: 7/3/12 10:36 AM

I've used this starter, if it's what I am thinking of. is this the one where you put it on the counter and over about six weeks add canned fruit and sugar to it? I was afraid of poisoning people also, but the cake is wonderful, and not at all like the traditional fruit cakes. I used to make it around Christmas time, and bring it into the office or give it to friends. People would often ask for the recipe, and were a bit nonplussed to find out how it was made.

As far as using it for bread, sounds interesting, but have no idea how to proceed. Good luck!

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 10:42 AM

you leave it on the counter for 10 days and stir it every day except for 2 days when you add flour sugar and milk.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to LDT2011 <<

Date: 7/3/12 10:43 AM

I 'hosted' Hermann decades ago and if my memories serve me right, Hermann was mixed with grated nuts and chocolate chips, not with fruit.

I looked into a German recipe blog and found 36 hits. Admittedly, I did not browse through them but if you're interested and Google translator is giving you a headache, I'm happy to help.

------
Happy Sewing!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 11:51 AM

We called the sourdough itself "Herman" back in the 1970s, and made cookies, cakes, coffee cakes, etc. with it - I have a terrific recipe for Herman coffee cake - no fruitcake at all in my memory though. It was all the rage among military wives as well as in the ladies magazines of the day. So easy to start, keep and make goodies. You reminded me - I wouldn't mind a great coffee cake as soon as Summer is over. Does anyone remember the "stewed fruit?" Where we poured booze over a bunch of fruit in a jar and left it in the frig for awhile? ;)

Herman: Herman starter

Herman recipes: Herman recipes
-- Edited on 7/3/12 11:53 AM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 7/3/12 12:26 PM

Thanks for the memory! I liked the Herman pancakes, too.
The fruit steeped in booze was very tasty. Seems like it was called something like Rumtopf, but maybe that was the German name of the ceramic canister it was in ( in Germany at the time.) Seems like we poured booze onto mixed fruit and sugar and served it on ice cream or cake after a couple weeks. Wish I could think of the name so I could Google it!

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 7/3/12 2:38 PM

Parrotheads use dried fruit and rum for tailgates, and we generally just call it breakfast.

annemie
annemie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

In reply to B <<

Date: 7/3/12 6:07 PM

Yes, it is called Rumtopf (rum pot). You take the fresh fruit of the season, add same amount of sugar, let it soak for a few hours, put it in a large glass or ceramic jar and cover it with over-proof rum. Then add the next fruit or berries with sugar, add the rum, etc. At Christmas time, stir it around and it's ready to eat. The jar needs an air tight lid (or a piece of plastic held by an elastic). Very popular in our house!

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 6:29 PM

OH MY! I haven't heard of Herman since the '70's. Yep, use to be all the rage around here. I've never made a fruit cake or bread with him, but he does make a pretty good cake and coffee cake, if memory serves

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

In reply to annemie <<

Date: 7/3/12 8:07 PM

Thank you! I just Googled it and this website suggests that you need higher proof rum than usually sold in the USA Rumtopf . Wonder if it is available across the border in Canada. (Sorry, I don't even know what is available here anymore!)

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Herman the german friendship cake

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

Storm Mountain Designs 14

photo
by: Seamingly ...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2012-120

photo
by: jennybaxt

Review
Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

More Info
Fusible Interfacing DVD

Fusible Interfacing DVD

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.