SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Get yourself a dress form ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Get yourself a dress form
Multiple benefits
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/3/12 4:51 PM

I realized the other day while sitting on my wheely chair and doing alterations on my dress form, that I felt like I really knew what I was doing. In fact, I still mostly don't, but the illusion is nice. :winkgrin:

Here I am hard at work, as opposed to now, when I am drinking tea and playing on PR.

Anyone else have a sense that their dress form makes them feel "official"? Or any other notion or piece of sewing room equipment?

-- Edited on 7/3/12 4:53 PM --

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 5:06 PM

I loved having a mannequin, but I had a friend who was using it far more than I was... and I kinda outgrew it, you know? So I gave it to her. But I would say I do have a special affinity for one piece of equipment - my treadle base. I swap three different Singer sewing machines in and out of it, depending on what I'm working on. Now that the treadle sits in the living room or dining room (depending on if what I'm sewing needs major tabletop support), and my fabric stash has displaced all the dishes in the dining room high-boy - I think it's official - I'm seriously nuts about sewing.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 5:14 PM

I love my "double" I cannot imagine trying to fit only on myself. I need her

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 7/3/12 5:14 PM

A loverly model and color you have there--and you don't have to twist to see her derriere!
As for me, Mr. Jack the Seam Ripper is the villain who just keeps coming back, but the Yorkie makes the room officially a place of Repose.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 7/3/12 5:29 PM

Really gramma? "Yorkie" and "repose" are not words that go together in m mind. But maybe that is because the person I know who has Yorkies is a breeder and there always seem to be four or five hundred of them running around at her house!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 7/3/12 5:37 PM

I used to use my dress form all the time. Mainly for hanging dresses that were being sewn. At the time, it was a must have. I have not used it for years and today I listed it on Craigslist. :)

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

CLDebra
CLDebra
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 4/30/12
Send Message

Date: 7/3/12 7:18 PM

For me, it's so difficult not having a dress form. Right now, I'm sewing Simplicity 2263 (a skirt suit) and I can't see the back of the jacket while I'm wearing it in order to check the placement of the tabs & buttons. It's frustrating to no end. I can only dream about having a dress form! Diana - if you only lived in Southern California...
-- Edited on 7/3/12 7:21 PM --

------
Debra

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/3/12 7:22 PM

In the seven years I've been sewing, I've acquired an amazing number of specialized sewing tools and equipment. I believe these items make a real difference in my sewing, and having and using them certainly help me feel official.

If I limited my list to just the items I used to while I worked on a tailored jacket today, my list would include: PGM dress form padded out to match my figure, seam stick, clapper, ham holder, tailor's ham, digital steam iron, aluminum hip curve ruler, measuring gauge, E-Z Hem Gauge, vintage Singer Featherweight sewing machine (a brand new toy), vintage Singer rotary Buttonholer Attachment, vintage Singer blind hem attachment, walking foot, buttonhole cutter, rotary cutter, microtip scissors, thread snips, ceramic pencil, wax chalk, black ultrafine Sharpie, two sided leather tape, and again, that's just the stuff I used today.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 7/3/12 8:08 PM

I hear ya! I don't know if I even could make a suit jacket without my dress form! I do know I wouldn't want to.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 10:00 AM

I adore my dressform. I will never again be without one.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Get yourself a dress form

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

No Pattern Used 0111

photo
by: AnitaJJ

Review
Christine Jonson Straight Shirt

Christine Jonson Straight Shirt

Buy Now
Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.