SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Regional Communities > Netherlands-based traveling, itinerant fabric markets ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Netherlands-based traveling, itinerant fabric markets
Anyone interested in going?
jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 4:38 AM

I've been looking with some interest at Stoffen Spektakel and Stoffenbeurs for some time. It's not exactly next door for me (I live in Copenhagen), but they sometimes come as far north as Hamburg and Lübeck (a much easier reach for me).

Neither site has the coming season's schedule up yet, but I thought I'd get a jump on things and ask if anyone would be interested in meeting up in a mutually-agreeable city? Or, indeed, if anyone's gone and not found it to be a fun day out looking at goodies, I'd like to hear that, too.

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

In reply to jacquiJB <<

Date: 7/4/12 6:38 AM

It's a great day out and you'll have a wonderful time, I can only encourage you to go. I have been to several of these fabric markets now and every one of them was worth the trip.

However, living in Australia I can only go during my once a year visits to Europe, usually in April/May. Also DS will be leaving Amsterdam at the end of the year, so from next year I will no longer be going to the Netherlands. The rest of my family is in Austria, where they don't have these fabric markets, but i will definitely make a detour to Germany just to catch one or two!

I envy you going in the autumn/winter season, I can only really get summer season fabrics when I go.

Enjoy!

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

Sanibelle
star
Sanibelle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
International GERMANY
Member since 5/27/03
Send Message

In reply to jacquiJB <<

Date: 7/7/12 10:21 AM

I just received a postcard in the mail today from Stoffmarkt Holland with their next round of dates for the fall. They've got Hamburg planned for Nov 10th. For anyone who usually goes to the Munich one, It seems they won't be at the airport this time, but instead in Freising.

I've gone a few times down here in the south. I think what I enjoy the most about going to one is observing the other visitors in their self-sewn garments! I think I spend just as much time looking at them, as I do at the fabric. :)

Edited to correct the date!
-- Edited on 7/7/12 10:30 AM --

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Sanibelle <<

Date: 7/7/12 11:33 AM

Quote: Sanibelle
I just received a postcard in the mail today from Stoffmarkt Holland with their next round of dates for the fall. They've got Hamburg planned for Nov 10th. For anyone who usually goes to the Munich one, It seems they won't be at the airport this time, but instead in Freising.

I've gone a few times down here in the south. I think what I enjoy the most about going to one is observing the other visitors in their self-sewn garments! I think I spend just as much time looking at them, as I do at the fabric. :)

Edited to correct the date!
-- Edited on 7/7/12 10:30 AM --

Oh Sanibelle, I envy you! The dates are not posted on the website yet, amazing that good ole snail mail beats the internet!

Any dates in the Frankfurt area? Would be nice to combine a trip to the Stoffmarkt with some other good stores in the Rhein-Main area (e.g. Stoff-Export in Mörfelden and Ffm, Toko in Ffm, ...).

Thanks so much for enabling!

------
Happy Sewing!

Sanibelle
star
Sanibelle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
International GERMANY
Member since 5/27/03
Send Message

In reply to GBK <<

Date: 7/7/12 1:07 PM

Hi GBK :)

Isn't that funny? I guess they dropped them in the post, before they headed off for their vacation.

The date for Frankfurt is Sept 30th. Sounds like a very good plan you've got there!

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Sanibelle <<

Date: 7/8/12 2:34 PM

Hi Sanibelle,

Many thanks! Sep 30 is in my diary now ...

------
Happy Sewing!

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to jacquiJB <<

Date: 7/8/12 6:05 PM

JacquiJB, I love to meet sewing sisters but live too far in the South to be able to meet you in Hamburg or Lübeck.

However, if you read/write some German, you may want to post on the German sewing portal www.hobbyschneiderin.net? There are plenty of German gals from Hamburg and other Northern cities on this board who happily and enthusiastically attend the Stoffmarkt events so I am sure you'll meet them many sewists there! :-)

And if you ever come the South of Germany, send me a PM!

------
Happy Sewing!

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/16/12 1:53 PM

Thanks everyone, for your helpful responses. I'll look forward to going to one of these markets eventually. And I'll take a look at the German sites, although my German is worse than my Danish and, well, that's none too good! Still, google translate can sometimes be my friend (although the translation of directions for a Patrones pattern were howl-worthy).

Sanibelle
star
Sanibelle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
International GERMANY
Member since 5/27/03
Send Message

In reply to jacquiJB <<

Date: 7/16/12 2:41 PM

Oh yes, google can definitely make you giggle. :)

Stoffmarkt Holland has the dates up on their website now here. In addition to the Nov date I mentioned above, they'll also be in Hamburg Sept 22.

-- Edited on 7/16/12 2:41 PM --

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to Sanibelle <<

Date: 7/18/12 8:18 AM

I saw that! And the next time is something around 9 November, and neither date works for me! September is too close to my trip to the US (might as well play nice with the bank balance for a month or two after that), and the November date is the weekend following my husband's birthday which he's spending in Japan on business. I think he wouldn't at all think it's cricket if I went off for a fabric shopping day -- he's tolerant and supportive, but that might be pushing it a bit!

Of course, is there *ever* a good time to have a fabric binge ...?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Regional Communities >> Netherlands-based traveling, itinerant fabric markets

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

New Look 6071

photo
by: margy.64

Review
THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Simplicity 6459

photo
by: roadtotheh...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.