SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > HEAT! It is VERY HOT HOT HOT! ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
HEAT! It is VERY HOT HOT HOT!
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/4/12 8:37 AM

How are you guys dealing with this heat? It is very oppressive here... super dry, super HOT! We may reach 115 today!!! The SMOG also is hard to breathe when outside for very long. Watering restrictions, Fire Warnings ... cannot even grill outside or any type of fires outside. Most fireworks are cancelled today on July 4th.
The burning heat & breatheing are keeping me inside allot yet it is still uncomfortable & hard to want to do much of anything. Frown! .........

How is everyone doing? ........ Hope everyone is staying safe, drinking plenty of water.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 8:53 AM

It has been that way down here for the past couple of weeks. Last Friday it hit 109F (43C) and broke records. Our lawn is dead brown, and we've been asked to conserve electricity and water. Fireworks are banned except the official public displays. Yesterday, it hit 99F (37C) and we'll be back up to 102F by Friday.
-- Edited on 7/4/12 8:53 AM --

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 9:22 AM

Well, for the last couple of days it's been pretty alright, "all things considered." The mornings are lovely. Thing is, we're in July and that's when the weather gets down right "9th ring of hell" hot here. We pretty much just stay inside all the time.

Sooooooooooo not looking forward. I'm originally from southern California. Having lived in Texas for the last couple of decades has really had me grown to LOATHE summers. And climate change doesn't help either.
-- Edited on 7/4/12 9:22 AM --

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

WantToSewAgain
WantToSewAgain
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/15/11
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 9:29 AM

Wow...it is really hot where you guys are! I'm in the San Diego area about 5 miles from the coast. According to weather.com it is 62 degrees here and it is suppose to go up to 68 degrees today. It is a little cooler than normal. Oh yeah...we don't have any humidity either. My windows are open and a cool breeze is blowing.

Try to stay cool and hydrated wherever you are!

Barbara

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/4/12 10:28 AM

I'm roasting. It's cooler where my kids are in Africa right now.

I dress modestly, and I may burst into flames.

But my electricity works, the A/C is ON, and I just got the A/C in the car fixed, too, so I'm better off than many around here, who lost power in storms (not to mention all those driven from their homes due to fire or flooding)

If you see me driving with my arms straight out to the dash, I'm not a zombie, I'm just holding my sleeves up to the A/C. Sometimes I get it just right, and the cool air gets all the way up my arm, aaahhh....

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 7/4/12 10:30 AM

In Wisconsin? Please be careful, stay in and take cafe of yourselves. It has been getting hotter each summer the last several years. We haven't used our AC as much ever as the last two years, and this summer looks to be the same. FLUIDS. Water especially and stay in the shade....I would be lying out flat in that temperature just vegetating....bless you.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 7/4/12 11:30 AM

And I've been distraught over having to miss the July 4th family reunion in Wisconsin!

When it gets that hot I start siphoning tub water out to water the perimeter of the house foundation. With the old top loading washing machine I could siphon out the rinse water.

Check on your neighbors!

And carry water with you. I've put out little fires that have burst up in clipping piles at the curb. (and call the fire dept. as they can reignite). And have even tossed bottles out the window to stranded motorists when I didn't feel comfortable about stopping.

Check your vehicle batteries and have someone check antifreeze, hoses, etc. Batteries and battery connections are notorious for failing when the temperatures soar.

Have already been running the appliances during the wee hours to reduce the heat in the house. And plan every day as if there will be a brown out or total loss of power. Chores are done early, we have plenty to read and food to eat that doesn't require heating.

For extreme heat and hurricane season, empty space in the freezer is filled with recycled plastic bottles that have been filled with water.

Just installed a hanging rod for drying clothes on the breezeway. And, finally bought a toaster oven to use outside. We're set for the summer.

Wishes for a safe holiday for everyone.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

GrandmaNewt
GrandmaNewt
Intermediate
Member since 6/5/10
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 11:51 AM

Here in Las Vegas we are used to the extreme heat. its been 110+ since early June. At least we dont have the humidity factor to deal with here.

Drink lots of water, stay inside when possible. Don't forget about your outdoor pets, they need lots of water and lots of shade to be able to manage the heat.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 12:12 PM

During these heat waves and droughts, I remember when NOBODY here in Tennessee had air-conditioning. I know people who live in the country --- the well would run dry during this type weather, and they would have to haul in water from the city. When I was in high school here, back in the 1960s, not one single school (or school bus) had air-conditioning. We dealt with it.
I am sooooo grateful for electricity and A/C. It is a privilege that I enjoy.

Now that I have started wearing the 'wicking' type golf shirts, I find they are truly more comfortable than 100% cotton, in this type weather. I found some on sale this past April for $15 at the local Nike outlet. Hooray!

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 7/4/12 12:49 PM

I'd be hibernating indoors with that kind of heat! Gracious, feel "hot" by the low 90's & we're nowhere near that until the wkend. (Won't hit 70 today.) A low pressure system went through with sm. tornados yesterday in south central Alberta. (North of Montana.)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> HEAT! It is VERY HOT HOT HOT!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.