SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Computers AARGH!!! > iPhone hot spot for iPad ( Moderated by Pyrose, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
iPhone hot spot for iPad
Are you successful and how?
wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 7/6/12 5:00 PM

Hi, I understand there's a way to use the iPhone in conjunction with the iPad to get wifi access. I'm not very techy, but if I get some pointers on "how to", I've got friends who can help me.

I've got a 3g iPhone and an iPad without. I'm underusing the iPad and don't take it out of the house. On the road, I use my iPhone that has an unlimited data plan and at home there's a laptop with internet and wifi.

Specifically, I'm going to New York and want to fabric shop. I'm debating about buying Pattern File to store my patterns for easy access away from home. The app doesn't yet work faultlessly on this feature. It does most things very well.

In general, once I know how to access wifi on my iPad, I'll be using it a lot more. Thanks for any guidance you can share.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 7/6/12 5:07 PM

Here's Apple's page on personal hotspots

Note that you need a iPhone 3GS and apparently, it involves bluetooth. You need the iPhone 4 to actually share 3G over WiFi
-- Edited on 7/6/12 5:12 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
ON
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Date: 7/6/12 5:10 PM

Here is what Apple says...
Hotspot info
It does depend on a lot of things- your iPhone, your carrier, etc. Hope that helps a bit.

Apparently great minds think alike!
-- Edited on 7/6/12 5:10 PM --

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/6/12 5:39 PM

I use my hotspots all the time. It,s not complicated at all. You don't need Bluetooth unless your iPhone is still version 3. Possibly updating your OS would also give you a hotspots on v3.

1. On the phone, look in settings and open the hotspot. Turn it on. You will notice that there is will be a password on the page lower down. Take note of it.

2. On the iPad, go also to settings and network. Find the name of your iPhone among the wifi access points. Connect and type in the password when prompted.

This is it in a nutshell. If you need more detail and pictures, go to the apple links.

On thing I notice when hooking into my hotspots with my windows laptop is that I lose the connection from time to time. In that case, turn the hotspot off on the phone and back on again. Reconnect.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 7/6/12 8:36 PM

Yes, I use mine all the time, too. DH, the "expert", used to do it as well, but his iphone has flatly refused to operate as a hot spot for ages. We don't know why.

I work in a school with no wireless and they have done things like lock out facebook on their system. so if for some reason we need to look at facebook (yes, there are legitimate reasons! ) I fire up the hot spot and ipad and off we go.

The ipad travels all over the house with me and to work daily. I don't carry it everywhere, but often wish I did, as it is so much easier to navigate the internet on it.

People who are slow tech adapters, which usually includes me but not this time, have been known to do a jaw drop with a rueful, "my next phone really has to be an iphone."

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/6/12 8:48 PM

I use my iPhone as a hotspot for my Android tablet all the time. Initial set up was very easy and turning on is just a few touches. I would imagine Apple to Apple would be even faster and easier.

------
chris

Melbourne

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 7/6/12 10:47 PM

Oh boy! This is really great news. Tomorrow I'll go with my husband to a somewhere without wifi and give it a go. I'll let you know how it unfolds. Many, many thanks for your coaching and reassurances.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 7/10/12 2:26 AM

Today, the Apple support people confirmed it would be easy to set up the hot spot. And also, it turns out my long-time, unlimited data-plan at $30/month does not cover this. I'd have to drop it and get a $50/month plan that gives me less- 5GB. I can't justify that leap in cost and no way I'm giving up my unlimited plan.

Has anyone else run into this? Or, do you just happen to have a plan in place that works for the hot spot?

Unless there's something else I wasn't told, or there's another work around, it looks like I'm not configured to use my iPhone as a hot spot for my iPad. I'll use it at home with my wifi and at internet cafes.

The hot spot question came up because it's useful in general, but I also wanted to use my iPad on fabric shopping forays with Pattern File. Now, I have to rethink if the program and app are worthwhile using with these contraints.

When I stop and think about how much all this connectivity costs, it's jaw dropping. Phones- land line and cell, texting, data plans, internet and dish = a heck of a lot of fabric and sewing stuff!

------

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 7/10/12 6:50 PM

Wendy - that is a shame! My system has been to wangle a way for DH to pay for my phone service. But when I was shopping to try to set up a new iphone for myself, it was ridiculous. "Yes, on this plan you get what you want plus 500 things you don't want and it all costs way too much except if you order today we have a special that includes 6 friends, but if your friends don't want it you can give it to a family member, but only if they are under 18 and live at home OR we give you 500 free minutes right now and an even higher price later!" Urrrrghhh...

The good news is that so many places are putting in wifi now it is easier and easier to get online free. We were in a restaurant with friends who "check in" to facebook a lot. They were surprised when the waiter said they didn't have wifi and my friend responded with "you know even McDonalds has free wifi now, don't you?"

If they have wireless debit/credit card capability, you would think they could manage a measly little internet connection, wouldn't you?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 7/10/12 6:58 PM

Quote:
They were surprised when the waiter said they didn't have wifi and my friend responded with "you know even McDonalds has free wifi now, don't you?"

Probably has something to do with "ambiance".

Still, I'd like it if my fabric store and my grocery store had wifi. Especially since the latter has an iPad/iPhone coupon app.
-- Edited on 7/10/12 7:00 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Computers AARGH!!! >> iPhone hot spot for iPad

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

McCall's 6460

photo
by: sertyan

Review
Other Simplicity 5685

photo
by: caper81

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.