SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Fat Sick and Nearly Dead ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
Has anyone else seen this?
loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 7/7/12 6:09 PM

I think it was advertised on the travel channel but it's really interesting. REboot your life, It's a man who's gone on a 60 day juicing fast to cure himself of an autoimmune disorder. There's a 1 hour 41 minute movie documenting his tour of the us trying to inspire people to change their diets. He's being checked on by Dr Fuhrman (who has that PBS special 3 steps to incredible health). This is beginning to sound like a commercial but I just found it online.

I posted this originally on another thread but it's a bit off topic for that one.

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 7/7/12 8:27 PM

Don't know about that...just wanted to say that the "health doctors" running shows on PBS are buying airtime from PBS to sell books. Not credible and I no longer support PBS due to the highly inaccurate "Blood Sugar" advertising show they have been running.

These quacks are really irritating me.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/7/12 9:20 PM

Selling anything by any means is a big motivation for pitchmen, but even if the video maker is sincere, it is possible to sell ignorance. In matters of health, for example, it is a good to consider an item logically. So what would be the mechanism by which fasting could affect a real, diagnosed autoimmune disease?

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 10:31 AM

I've recently switched to a diet with more vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats (no trans fats), and I feel a lot better (Sonoma Diet). I don't need to lose 60lbs but am looking to simplify cooking so I am considering maybe juicing a few meals a week.

The site is free for now. So if anyone is into juicing they may find some new recipes that they haven't tried before.

------
Coco Chanel

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 12:42 PM

I saw it and was amazed, absolutely amazed, though not surprised really. I'd long before that stopped eating a carb-rich diet. Still it helped keep me motivated. however, for me, the juice cleanses don't do anything. I guess that means things are working pretty well as is!

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 1:11 PM

interesting....I'm using "green smoothies" periodically....base of baby spinach with fresh or frozen fruit, protein powder and almond milk (trying to avoid most dairy).

I don't think I could do nothing but fruits and veggies for any length of time....it's just not me (add in the fact that I still consider myself a recovering anorexic).....

Instead, once or twice a year, I do a 2-week cleanse program....capsules to take in the morning and evening....you can still eat regularly, just remember to drink lots of water.

I'm into my second week post-cleanse and still feel great...those 2 weeks were used to make dietary changes that i can continue on a regular basis.

Plus, with 3 other people in the house, I'm not going to potentially cause food/body issues with the youngest....my 8yo (the preemie who is still small for her age) has already gone through a phase where she said she was fat....took her doc pointing out on the growth charts where she is and where the average is AND where children that are overweight would be.....but she's stopped saying it now....they are eating more and are slowly gaining weight....hard for an 8yo to barely be over 50 lbs and a 12yo to not quite be 70 lbs.....we are working on it slowly

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to Lady_Mame <<

Date: 7/8/12 1:12 PM

Motivation certainly is key when you are making a major change in your lifestyle. It's so easy to slide back into bad habits. I've never done a juice cleanse myself, but I have on occasion enjoyed a good fresh vegetable juice.

I have to admit, I am a sucker for transformation stories. When they interviewed the truck driver that signed on for the diet, and he said, I need help, I don't like being called "big Guy", I have a name. I look angry all the time and really I'm in pain and am just unhappy, I just felt for him.

------
Coco Chanel

katlew03
starstarstar
katlew03  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 1/4/08
Send Message

In reply to Larisa <<

Date: 7/8/12 2:09 PM

Larisa -- my 8-1/2 year old DGS is 48 inches tall and 48 lbs. so I know what you mean. His cousin, who is thin, is 52 inches tall and somewhere around 55 lbs. They are exactly the same age. He eats everything in sight but she eats hardly anything unless it is mac and cheese.

It's a shame that there is so much pressure on kids regarding their body image. Glad Bek is eating better and that the doctor was able to convince her that he weight is OK.

------
Sewn in 2012: 176.212 yds.
2013 Goal: 400 yds (again)
Total sewn in 2013 -- 225.848 yds.
Total yards in inventory 1/1/14 -- 1752.5
Goal for 2014 -- 400 yards (for the third time)

Machines: Designer Diamond, #1+, H Class 100Q, and Viking 400 Serger: 936

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to loti <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/8/12 2:10 PM

It would have been interesting if they followed another trucker too and got him to just avoid truckstop fried food and have some healthy snacks--they do have fridges on board. Even small easy changes would have made him drop inches and feel more energetic but avoid the backsliding so easy with a radical change.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/8/12 2:22 PM

gramma, I agree with you. The only time I'll "cleanse" is prepping for a colonoscopy. I've read where it's not healthy to do this very often as a means of diet control. These things are all "quick fix". A healthy diet(yep, even one that includes carbs)and exercise is the best way to loose and maintain.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Stretch & Sew 1276

photo
by: dakotasews

Review
Vogue Patterns 1549

photo
by: becca a

Review
Petite Plus 201 Pattern

Petite Plus 201 Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.