SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Men Who Sew > men buying sewing machines ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
men buying sewing machines
not taken seriously
col47
col47
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/7/12 11:50 PM

Hi, I went into a baby lock dealer and wanted to buy a new machine. I have a brother se400 which I truly love but want to get a better machine like the new esante. I felt that I was not being taken very seriously about this. I am beginning to love machine embroidery but now I want to get larger hoops and some more muscle from the machine. Being a man who likes to sew And embroider, I feel that I am penetrating a woman's hobby when I walk into stores. This statement is going to men. has anybody else there felt the same?

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/7/12 11:53 PM

I'm not a bloke, but it sounds like its time you educated those dealerships that men can sew, enjoy it, and want to have the same opportunties to access service and information as women who sew.
I'm a huge believer that there are not enough men sewing clothing or quilts, or things for the house in this day and age. Many of the best tailors are men.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<

Date: 7/8/12 0:30 AM

Col - you are in the unenviable or maybe the enviable position of being a ground breaker here. You can go in and be honest and say, "you probably don't get very many guys in here looking for machines, so I could really use your help, " and go from there. A lot of the dealerships are owned by men, even if they are staffed by women. Maybe you can get some help from them?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<

Date: 7/8/12 0:32 AM

Also not a guy, but when I bought my last new machine I was treated like an incompetent child who didn't know anything. I was in my late 30s and had made all my clothing since I was 11. I'd bought 2nd hand machines in 2 different countries, and even sewn on industrials in a curtain making work room.

It was infuriating that the vendor believed I had no concept of sewing machine features or would know what I was talking about, so in that respect I can empathise.

------
Sydney, Australia

col47
col47
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 0:56 AM

I figure since I am going to be putting down some serious money on a sewing machine that it should not matter if you're a man or woman, but it does feel like I am stepping on women's toes when I go into the stores. The one big box store I go into now are getting very used to me.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<

Date: 7/8/12 1:44 AM

I posted on a previous thread that when I took my husband for a bring a friend, get a gift sale at the local fabric shop that they refused to acknowledge my husband - my very best friend - for the promotion. We were both upset. He was also extremely offended.

Prior to that I had ridden my bicycle to the local Chevy dealer to check out trucks. It was just too nice a day to drive over. Asked about engine and transmission pairings and gear ratios. The salesman suggested that I should have my husband come by to check out the trucks. I/We have yet to purchase a Chevy truck. Had I felt there was no other place to shop, I would have spoken with the manager or owner.

There always seem to be men in the local JoAnn's, it's no big deal.

My husband does get the same feeling when he goes to one of the local grocery stores.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Plottie

Plottie
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/19/07
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 2:06 AM

You have my sympathy-it can be very frustrating and demeaning.

A few years back when looking for a new car (for me) one salesman only spoke to my husband & completely ignored me. The next dealership we went to spoke to me, needless to say that's where we bought the car.

------
Blue Mountains, NSW

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/8/12 8:08 AM

Def not a guy here either. .in fact I am not even a human. just a pig..

Next time take Portland Maine with you.. That will throw them for a loop and maybe teach them a thing or two..

Of course heaven help them if Soolip ever goes to that store for a new machine.

And yep.. I Get that same treatment when I shop for a tractor that the other women do at the car lots.. But since they literally bug you to death with the more inane questions at car lots.. I find that works in my favor.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 8:13 AM

I occasionally sell used vintage machines on Craigslist. The last two I sold were to men. (For some reason men seem especially fond of some of the heavy, hardworking vintage models in particular.) It suits me to sell a sewing machine to whoever wants or needs it!

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

iBaloo
iBaloo
Intermediate
Member since 7/2/12
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/8/12 9:16 AM

Quote: col47
Hi, I went into a baby lock dealer and wanted to buy a new machine. I have a brother se400 which I truly love but want to get a better machine like the new esante. I felt that I was not being taken very seriously about this. I am beginning to love machine embroidery but now I want to get larger hoops and some more muscle from the machine. Being a man who likes to sew And embroider, I feel that I am penetrating a woman's hobby when I walk into stores. This statement is going to men. has anybody else there felt the same?

As an older guy and a fellow SE400 owner, I agree, there are so many shops that are sexist.

I got the same sort of response when I went looking for my machine. Initially I went to local dealerships because I wanted local support, sadly they didn't take me seriously. I ended up buying from Walmart, not only at a good price, but the lady that served me was (and continues to be) a mine of information. The crazy thing is, some dealerships complain about Internet shopping and big box stores driving prices down; the reality when dealing with male shoppers in this hobby is, if we are not taken seriously you won't get our money.

My experience of the Jo-Ann stores, well, two of them,... guys seem to get a good welcome. Not just from staff but also from other customers. I often find that when I walk into some supposedly upmarket fabric & craft stores the welcome from other customers is very frosty. Believe me, I am not a shy person, but it can be very daunting. The first few times I wondered what was going on, it was as if I had forgotten to wear clothing!
This is generalization,... there seems to be three types of frosty folk, older women dripping vouchers everywhere, who glare at me from inside a personal force field of extreme sternness, younger women who assume I am gay, while everyone else, appears to cruise around the aisles mumbling to their friends, about a guy who obviously entered the wrong shop looking for his wife.

All I can suggest is, ignore all the frosty crew. From a mans point of view, sewing is engineering with flair, men and women can all be good engineers :)

One thing I wonder about, why do some Jo-Ann customers spend more time checking out (due to voucher overload) than they do looking for fabric?

------
Brother SE400 & 3034D, it's a start :)
I really don't want to become a klepto-machine-iac.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Men Who Sew >> men buying sewing machines

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

BurdaStyle Downloadable 6051

photo
by: sertyan

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2013-119

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

More Info
10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.