SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Our new toy ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Our new toy
or, what I've been doing
SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/8/12 11:09 AM

In response to some inquiries on where I've been (thanks for the concern!), we bought a used travel trailer! It's a 2010 model, and we LOVE it. Only been out in it twice so far, the heat will keep us from venturing back out until September probably. In October we're planning a longer trip maybe to one of the Arkansas state parks.

First, we did the internet research, then visited some dealerships. Then after we figured out the brand we would like and the floorplan, we really were blessed. A few days later, as we were so sad that one just like this brand new would be more than we wanted to spend (not counting the huge depreciation hit) -- one appeared on Craigslist, not far away!! It's in really good condition, so we figured it was meant to be!
There was (still is) LOTS to learn about it. We had to *outfit* it, figure out how to bring our bikes on it, how to configure the hitch stuff for our vehicle for safe towing - all that stuff has kept me so busy.
But in the meantime I've been sewing - working on my stitch bible. So, anyway thanks for the concern - this is what I've been doing!
photo
-- Edited on 7/8/12 11:12 AM --

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 7/8/12 12:27 PM

How fun. I can just imagine you sewing up new curtains, slip covers, placemats, bed coverings, tote bags for travel. This IS a new toy And one that allows you to play with your sewing machine too

PegL
star
PegL
Advanced
Missouri USA
Member since 2/18/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/8/12 12:28 PM

Welcome to the RV life! You have a very pretty trailer! We owned a couple of trailers (first a pop up and then a travel trailer) when our kids were young and then they got too busy with activities for us to use an RV so we sold it. When my DH finally retired in '09 we bought a 27ft. TT and after realizing that we loved the life and would use it for longer trips and stays we traded it for a new 35ft fifth wheel with more space and a few more creature comforts. We spent 4 months in a variety of FL state parks over the winter months and are leaving for an extended trip of Yellowstone and the Northwest at the end of this month!

We love it and have seriously considered selling the house and everything in it and hitting the road full time. The main thing that stops us is our age and worries about health issues down the road. I'm very close to 66 and DH is 71. If we'd known what we know now, we would have gone full time 10 years ago! It's a wonderful life and you meet so many great people and get to see and experience America in a way that most people don't have the opportunity.

Enjoy your new ''toy'' and safe travels!

------
"I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes--and six months later you have to start all over again!"

Pfaff 2170, Pfaff 7570, Pfaff 4852, Babylock Coverstitch, Bernina 1090, Bernina 1020, Gammill Quilting machine

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 1:01 PM

You will have so much fun! I made throw pillows and a tablecloth out of outdoor fabric for my trailer.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 1:48 PM

I am glad to read what you have been up to. Naturally you will sew curtains and other things for your new "home on wheels". You do plan to take anong a sewing machine in this trailer when you travel, don't you? As long as you have electricity and a surge protector, you should be good to go. Have fun and keep us posted.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 4:34 PM

Quote:
leaving for an extended trip of Yellowstone and the Northwest at the end of this month!

Oh you lucky thing!! I've been wanting to go to both of those places for the longest!!

I've been reading about fulltiming, but I doubt we ever do that. DH won't retire for another 6 to 8 years. I have no idea when I'll be able to retire. It all depends on when the house is paid off. We're striving to do that now. We didn't go into debt for this - we paid cash.
Year after next, in Feb, I'll have 4 weeks vacay at work though, and he has that now. So, we do plan on one good long 2 week trip then. They won't let us take more than that at one time, unless it's family sickness involved. Even with 2 weeks, it wouldn't be enough to do the Northwest from La.

I'm going to sew colorful sofa pillows and a quilt for the short Queen bed. I'm glad the bed is short. It'll take me forever to do a queen quilt for it, so in the meantime I'm gong to buy a cheapo quilt. I came with a yuck 100% poly puffy comforter. Hate those. It's so nicely appointed, but it's all neutral colors. So it does need some spicing up.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

GrandmaNewt
GrandmaNewt
Intermediate
Member since 6/5/10
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 5:03 PM

Oh how fun for you! I see many great adventures in your future :)

I have some friends that years ago bought their first RV. They loved it so much, they ended up trading it in for a much bigger nicer one. They sold their home, bought a lot in a motorcoach resort and now live in it full time. They travel the country maybe a total of 6 months out of the year and and when they are "home" on their lot they enjoy not just their rv, but the outdoor kitchen and seating area on their lot complete with a nice fire pit and a pop up big screen tv, and lots of parties with the other lot owners in the community rec room and pool area. Tis a great life for them, unfortunately we don't get to spend as much time with them because it seems like they are always heading off on another trip! They are in town right now for a few days, and then they are off to New Orleans and who knows where after that.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 5:19 PM

This looks like the answer to where to put your Aubrey..

Great find.. aren't these fun.. ..

When can I expect you.. ????????

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 7:04 PM

Very cool! Enjoy!

You'll have to post pics when you're done with the interior decorating.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to GrandmaNewt <<

Date: 7/8/12 7:15 PM

I'm sure they'll enjoy it, but it's so miserably hot here right now... There are some nice parks around there, let me know if they need some advice on where to stay.
Pigling - no sewing machines aboard this baby. With only 30 amps, you can't even run the hair dryer and the microwave at the same time, lol.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Our new toy

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Simplicity Sew U skirt

photo
by: reformfabr...

Review
Vogue Patterns 8898

photo
by: mimi g.

Review
You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.