SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Loading quilt on frame ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Loading quilt on frame
Methods of loading a quilt onto quilting frame
Krazyred35
Krazyred35
Member since 7/8/12
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 6:15 PM

Ok - I am really a newbie to quilting and sewing.

My mom and I purchased a long-arm quilting machine and frame. We attended a two day class on using the machine/frame combo. During the class, we were taught to baste the quilt backing to the canvas leaders in order to load the quilt on the frame.

Neither one of us have a machine that has a very long basting stitch. I am trying to find an inexpensive (the ones I know of that will work run about $700 - $1,000) machine with a decent basting stitch. Currently I am looking at the singer 4166 because singer states that this machine has a basting stitch.

However, I have a feeling that there is more than one way to load a quilt onto a frame. So I am looking for any information and/or guidance in this area.

Thanks!!!!

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Krazyred35 <<

Date: 7/8/12 7:16 PM

Which machine do you have?

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Krazyred35
Krazyred35
Member since 7/8/12
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 7:49 PM

Queen quilter 18 with a wooden frame - can't remember the brand of the frame but it is the one that you purchase the EMT conduit to make the rails.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 8:25 PM

I do not have a long nor do I know anything about the model machine/frame you mention but I know people whom have pin basted their backing to leaders.

I think the Janome 6300 has a long basting stitch.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 7/8/12 10:25 PM

I am a bit confused by your question- are you saying you want to buy a machine just so you can baste the quilt to the long arm frame?

------
Cathryn

Krazyred35
Krazyred35
Member since 7/8/12
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 2:08 PM

I am looking at my options - I love my current machine - it is simple & we get along wonderfully, however, it is heavy & the quilting machine is a little over 100 miles away so loading and unloading my current machine gets to be a pain, especially when all I use it for is to baste the quilt back onto the leaders. Since my machine doesn't have a basting stitch and doesn't have a very long stitch length it is even more frustrating....

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 2:37 PM

I'm somewhat confused about what type of stitch you need on a machine for this specific task.

How long is the basting stitch on your current machine? Or, to put it a bit differently, how long is the longest stitch length setting for straight stitch on your current machine?

And how long do you want/need the basting stitch to be for basting the quilt to the leader?

And is a basting stitch different than the longest straight stitch available on your current machine? (I used to have a machine with a basting stitch setting, but that setting produced one single stitch, and then you could move the fabric by hand, then hit the pedal again for a single stitch. Probably not what you are looking for.)

The machine I use most often has a maximum stitch length (for the straight stitch) or 6.0 or 6 mm. I find that even 4.0 or 5.0 is still easy to remove. I'm curious as to why the longest stitch length on your current machine won't work. Speaking only for myself, I would use the 6.0 straight stitch on my machine regardless of the "official" instructions regarding a basting stitch.

If you are happy with your current machine, I wouldn't part with it. If you need a machine ONLY for basting, $700 to $1000 seems a LOT to pay. Again, speaking only for myself, I would look on Craigslist for a used or even vintage machine that could produce a long straight stitch.

Curious and probably completely off-base about what you are looking for,
CMC

Krazyred35
Krazyred35
Member since 7/8/12
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 2:53 PM

I am not sure how long my stitch length is - but it seems very short & difficult to remove when taking the quilt off the leaders.

So - I am trying to figure out which machines have either a basting stitch or a longer stitch length than my current machine at a reasonable cost.

I am trying to find my machine's manual to see if I am missing something but in the meanwhile I wanted to get some other input on the entire situation....l

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 6:26 PM

Thank you for the further explanations.

I just spent some time on the Janome web site (because you can download the PDF manuals easily), comparing manuals, trying to determine the longest stitch length for various machines. Assuming that the numbers on the dials of the mechanical machines are MM, then 4 or 4 mm seems to be a fairly common number for the highest stitch length. The Horizon seems to have a 5.0 longest stitch length.

And I'm only guessing by looking at the manuals. I've yet to find a clear statement such as "Stitch length from 0 to 5.0" Annoyingly, this is not a specification that sewing machine manufacturers publish publicly in the specs of the machine.

If your machine does a 4.0 longest stitch, then I can see how the basting would be difficult to remove, especially after you've loaded the quilt on the frame and put some tension on that line of basting. Once the stitches have been under tension, they probably "set" into the fabric.

FYI, the machine I have that does a 6.0 stitch is a Pfaff 2140, which is fairly pricey for a basting machine. You have posed a very interesting question, about longest stitch length and basting stitches. This is not a sewing machine feature that was super important to me when I've shopped for sewing machines.

ETA: This web page includes a table that shows equivalent stitch lengths in MM and stitches-per-inch. (6 MM is the longest stitch length mentioned.) A vintage machine with a 4-stitches-per-inch setting is the equivalent of 6 mm. However, a quick review of online manuals for vintage Singers indicates the 6-stitches-per-inch, or 4MM, was fairly standard for the longest stitch length in vintage machines.

CMC
-- Edited on 7/9/12 6:40 PM --
-- Edited on 7/9/12 6:47 PM --

Krazyred35
Krazyred35
Member since 7/8/12
Send Message

Date: 7/9/12 7:33 PM

I just located my instruction book -maximum stitch length is 4 mm and it only has one straight stitch. No information about basting is included in the manual.

Does anyone know anything about the singer 4166 machine? The singer website states that it has a basting stitch but I can't locate any information on the length or function of this stitch.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Loading quilt on frame

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Simplicity 9784

photo
by: vickyh

Review
Vogue Patterns 8706

photo
by: mimi g.

Review
Sassy Bag

Sassy Bag

Buy Now
Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.