SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > fun fabric challenge ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
fun fabric challenge
How would you use this fabric?
marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 7/11/12 3:32 PM

My stash has multiple personalities-I have knits with an urban chic look, knits suited for outdoor wear and camping, linen for those arty patterns, cottons with various graphic prints or small designs suited to a petite person...and then there is this--->

The colors are so vintage, and the 2 inch roses are realistic in shape and size...this yard of fabric is so pretty to me but what in the world can I make?

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 7/11/12 3:37 PM

Very Shabby Chic!!! Camisole, sleep shirt, sleevless or cap sleeve top, long scarf....off the top of my head..Love the colors!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/11/12 3:45 PM

Marry it with a coordinating linen in a color blocked top?

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 7/11/12 3:51 PM

CLASSIC CAMP SHORTS with cuffs! You will knock their socks awf!

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 7/11/12 4:08 PM

2 quick thoughts-
* Capris for a casual summery or country look, with a billowy, white linen over-sized top. Wear with a straw hat and pewter flats or purple sandals- flat or platform. I have both pair of shoes, don't you?

* Peplum top- your pick of style, but with solid slim pants in grey green, pearl grey or white. Shoes as above with small purse (in accent color?) for a more urban look.

Soooo fun to dress up someone else! Thanks for the chance.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 7/11/12 4:26 PM

Gorgeous!!! What is it? (knit? linen?)

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 7/11/12 5:30 PM

Oh, good ideas so far. Thanks! It is a very soft cotton, and when I unearthed it, I thought it was from GW. But it is a remnant from a store and relatively new. I only have a yard.

The shorts are cute-the idea of a teeny top also-and I am leaning toward trying it with another fabric.

The peach fabric is a poly from a friend's mom-one of those "just because" gifts-and I am using most of it for a pair of pants. But I do have some left.

Is the combo too sweet? Would a more masculine color like sage or brown be better?

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 7/11/12 6:40 PM

Yes, I'd watch going too sweet, which is why I was suggesting accessories to give it an edge. Or, go the other way-and dig into truly over-the-top sweet. Hmmmm . . . how about a knee length, or shorter 3-tier skirt that's very girly. To force that, I'd do lace insertions vertically on each tier. Use different width laces from really wide to narrow. Place them somewhat randomly to get a sheer patchwork look on the tiers. The lace insertion will increase your yardage too. I'd wear it with a tank top that looks like a guy's wife-beater undershirt and a jean jacket plus sneakers. Then I'd get some take out food and go to the beach at sunset. You've got yourself a pretty inspiring 1-yard of fabric there!

I never wear anything remotely like this. However, I have a dress from forever ago that was too sweet for me. It's in a box with fabrics I could quilt, but I haven't been interested in that for some decades. Maybe I should pull it out, cut it open and think- garment. Thanks for posting and jogging my mind.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/11/12 6:52 PM

I think it would make a great tote. The pink is too... sweet.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 7/11/12 7:14 PM

I think a cute simple a line skirt with a grey sage linen (or any other color with a lot of grey in it) would be sophisticated. I don't wear florals myself but if it's just a bit peeking out from under a tunic, I could warm up to it.

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> fun fabric challenge

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Simplicity 2443

photo
by: j Renee De...

Review
Au Bonheur des Petites Mains TQH08002

photo
by: Dilliander

Review
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.