SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Sewing Tables ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing Tables
Need some help and suggestions
heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 7/12/12 11:17 PM

Hi all!

I searched through the boards and found a couple of topics on this and one link in particular was really good of a home-made sewing table.

I think I really want to sink my machine to sew right at table level. I think it would be REALLY cool to have that capability for at least one of my machines.

Do you all find this a really valuable way to sew? Does it save your posture or make things that much easier? I am a garment and bag sewer.

Also, what do you use? I cannot spend hundreds, let alone thousands of dollars for a special cabinet like a Horn or Koala or anything like that. But maybe a couple hundred is possible and certainly much more probable

Any suggestions, links, pics of what you use that you can share??

My new home closes tomorrow and I will have my very own dedicated sewing room. It's about 19x9 and it's going to be SOOO awesome I can't stand it!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

tinflutterby
tinflutterby  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/9/11
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 1:10 AM

I adore having my standard machine dropped into the table with an insert to make it fit perfectly. My grandmother had a card table style sewing table (which I still have) which has a panel that can be removed in the top to set the machine down in. There are two metal slings attached to the bottom of the table that the machine sets in. As long as you don't need the table to also store the machine it should be pretty easy to make this work for one of your machines.
My only objection to my fancy modern table is the light reflects off the plastic insert and sometimes blinds me.

couturemom
star
couturemom
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 8:15 AM

I am lucky enough to have an architect husband who can also do woodworking. He designed and built a beautiful sewing table with fold-down leaves and a space for the machine. He also designed the front and leaves to resemble a woman's figure (although it's one of those artistic elements that has to be explained to the viewer).
I love having a sewing surface that's flush to the table. I'm short, so if I'm sitting in a regular chair, it's stressful on my posture to have the machine sitting on top of the table. I always stand when I use my serger.

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Send Message

Date: 7/18/12 4:25 PM

We bought a timber dining table off eBay and my hubby cut a hole and made a shelf to sit my machine on so that its at table height. I love it..its so much easier on my back and your project doesn't get hooked up on anything. And when I want to use the free arm I find that I just need to remove the fitted fill in piece he made and I can use the free arm with the maching sitting in the hole. Otherwise, if needed I can lift it out and sit it elsewhere on the table. I think there's a picture posted somethwhere on this board..you may have seen it

------
Blessings
Janice

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/18/12 4:31 PM

My table won't do you any good as it is a custom built sewing counter that comes from the wall. But I did have wells put in, and even though they were built for other machines I no longer have, my current machines fit in fine. As a matter of fact, they go right in with their extension tables, which are flush to the table top.
I find this type of sewing wonderful. Flat bed sewing is the best!

I'd suggest you get something with a well that is larger than your current machine, so if you ever go larger, you'll still be able to use.
Many people like the Arrow Gidget tables. That's about the only one I can think of that's only a couple of hundred bucks.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 7/18/12 9:03 PM

Thanks for the recommendation! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy or make... probably buy, but I definitely can't spend a lot of $$$ and I really want to sew flat bed style!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

rebe
star
rebe  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/28/05
Send Message

Date: 7/19/12 12:51 PM

I have both of the arrow tables and they are sturdy and just the right height. I wish I had purchased them sooner. If you are not in a hurry sometimes Joann's carries them and you can use a coupon on them. They are so much better than the office depot tables and my back does not hurt so much as before.

------
Rebecca Pitts
Bernina 430
Singer xl-6000
Singer 9960
Babylock Imagine
Elna 740 Excellence
Ellisimo

4sons
4sons  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 6/30/11
Send Message

In reply to couturemom <<

Date: 7/19/12 1:33 PM

could you possible post a picture?

rebe
star
rebe  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/28/05
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 12:13 PM

Here is the bigger one on ebay
http://compare.ebay.com/like/180922673421?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

------
Rebecca Pitts
Bernina 430
Singer xl-6000
Singer 9960
Babylock Imagine
Elna 740 Excellence
Ellisimo

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 1:01 PM

I found the Gidget II table on Allbrands website for a pretty decent price!

Now I'm contemplating between the actual table with the sink in setting OR just an extension table???

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Sewing Tables

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Kwik Sew 3238

photo
by: Lynn67

Review
Petite Plus 651 Pattern

Petite Plus 651 Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.