SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fake Fur Crawling ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fake Fur Crawling
Stitching fake fur is difficult
Elliptic Coin
Elliptic Coin  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 12:52 PM

do any of the experts have a solution to hold the fake fur fabric in place while stitching? I'm somewhere between a beginning sewer and intermediate and have not used fake fur in the past.

I am constructing a santa claus for this coming Christmas. The body was clear sailing but the suit is troublesome. Not only is the fabric creeping and crawling but I can't seem to get the right adjustments on my sewing machine. I've changed needles and blown out lint but don't get consistent stitch lengths.

any help will be appreciated. --Judy

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 12:57 PM

I have never made anything with fake fur but I would imagine a walking foot would help with the problems you are having at the machine. You could also use alligator clips to hold the layers together, maybe even washable tape?

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Elliptic Coin
Elliptic Coin  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

In reply to minggiddylooloo <<

Date: 7/13/12 1:10 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, I had not thought about using clips...and washable tape.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 1:44 PM

that would be my suggestion also . I once make a tiger costume for my daughter years ago and vowed never to work with fake fur again. And I haven't.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

In reply to Elliptic Coin <<

Date: 7/13/12 2:34 PM

Be sure to pin well - closely spaced and perpendicular to your stitching line. Also, try adjusting the pressure foot pressure if you can. Lighter or heavier may be required, you'll have to test it out.

The wallking foot will help, but it's not so great if your pieces have tight curves.

And you can always baste with actual needle and thread vs. just pinning. I know it can be a pain, but it will definitely do the trick!

HTH

------
Liz

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 7/13/12 3:53 PM

I found that clipping the fur along the seamlines helps. It could be that the fur hairs are binding/catching somewhere causing the skips. Good luck with your project.

Tarrbaby
Tarrbaby  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/28/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/14/12 9:26 AM

I made an ankle length coat once and found that I had to hand baste the seams before stitching. Also to try cutting off the saem allowances and using a small width zig zag one stitch on one stitch off the fabric. I have used fusible stabilizing tape as well. Good luck.

------
Dawn T.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 7/14/12 1:33 PM

A roller foot will help when dealing with crawling fabrics. I believe Threads had an article that discussed how to sew artificial fur. Issue 32 page120 (fake fur) and issue 104 page 108 (shearling).

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Margasweet

Margasweet  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/15/05
Send Message

Date: 7/14/12 3:22 PM

I've sewn fake fur a couple of times, using a scant 1/4" seam and a wide zig zag stitch, one side of which swings just off the fabric. I pin about every inch, using the pin to sweep the fur away from the seam before pinning perpendicular to the seam. Alternate directions with each pin (1st pin starts on the top side, next pin starts from the underside).

HTH

Marguerite

------
2007 fabric in: 7 1/2 yards; sewn: 7 yds
2008 fabric in, 23 yards; sewn 20 yds; given away 6 yds
2009 fabric in 41 1/4 yds, sewn 29 yds, given away 22 1/2 yds
2010 fabric in 91 1/2 yds, sewn 27 yds, given away 1 1/2 yds;
2011 fabric in: 55 yd.; sewn: 21 yd; given away: 20 yd
2012 fabric in: 60 1/4 yd., sewn 25 1/4 yds, given away 16 yds, thrown away 3 yds scraps; UFOs completed: 7
2013 fabric in: 28 yds; sewn 25.7 yds.; given away 5 1/2 yd.s; projects 8, UFOs 4

2014 fabric in: 40.5 yd
2014 fabric sewn: 16 1/2 yd
2014 fabric given away: 8 1/2 yd
2014 projects completed: striped maxi skirt, bl/wh maxi dress, brown/turquoise sweater-knit tunic
2014 projects started: turquoise tank dress, tank dress,
2014 UFOs completed: 9 (5 small gift bags, pieced & quilted table runner, blue/wh maxi dress, silk infinity scarf, blue squares sm. quilt)

Padmé

Padmé
Member since 7/12/06
Send Message

Date: 7/14/12 6:03 PM

I pinned a lot, did some hand basting, and clipped the fur down at the seam line. I made a lined vest that I still have and wear.

I'm planning a stuffed dog from a new McCalls pattern for my oldest son's apartment with the leftover fur and some fake suede soon.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fake Fur Crawling

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Burda 7316

photo
by: JulieAnnH

Review
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.