SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Cutting notches for patterns ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cutting notches for patterns
jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

Date: 7/17/12 1:20 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is a sewing technique, or not, but I decided to put it here anyway. If it should go somewhere, please let me know and I'll post there.

This past weekend I was sewing up a piece and as I was cutting out the patterns I remembered something I've been meaning to ask. When I took home economics in t he 80s, my home ec teacher taught us to cut the notches of patterns outward. So that's how I've been doing that. It can sometimes be difficult, tho'.

Recently, I was helping a friend with a costume and I noticed how she cut out her notches: she cut straight across, but snipped in toward the garment for the notches. One notch got 1 snip, 2 notches got 2 snips, etc.

I realize this is basically personal preference, but I was wondering what folks here do and why. I've been considering trying that technique during cutting simply because trying to cut the triangle outward can sometimes be a PITA and it doesn't always come out right.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to jynclr <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/17/12 1:33 PM

I snip the notches. In addition: the little circles on the sleeve? I snip those, too, instead of marking the circles.

I snip center backs,

I snip center fronts,

I snip hemlines.

I'm jest a snippin' fool.

j.

-- Edited on 7/17/12 1:46 PM --

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to jynclr <<

Date: 7/17/12 1:33 PM

Just be careful when clipping inwards on small seam allowances -- especially 1/4".

Also if using a wider seam allowance and there is the possibility of wanting to let the seam out for fitting purposes, you want to be careful that you don't clip too far into the seam allowance (BTDT -- LOL).

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to jynclr <<

Date: 7/17/12 2:04 PM

I was taught that, too, but now I mostly snip 'em.

However, if the seam allowance is narrow or the fabric is nubbly, hairy, or fleecy, I use a marker pen of some type, often one of those permanent gel pens you can get at craft stores. They don't wash out, but a single white dot in the seam allowance doesn't show, and it usually wears off quickly.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to jynclr <<

Date: 7/17/12 2:10 PM

I cut my notches out. I learned from my grandmother and she always said that if you needed adjustments, you might run out of fabric by cutting in. She was a professional tailor and used very small seam allowances. I also notch for all circles, CB and CF and any other markings I feel are important, such as gathering lines.

I tried snipping once. I had great difficulty even finding the snips and seeing them..too much hassle for me! I don't feel that my notches have to line up exactly, so if one is off a tad, as long as the two pieces align at the beginning and end of the seam, I'm OK with that.
My grandmother did not succeed in teaching me perfectionism, unfortunitely!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/17/12 3:44 PM

I spray-glue all my patterns to heavy duty kraft paper, and then use a hole punch to punch circles through the pattern at the notches. Then, I use a washable marker or chalk to mark the fabric at each hole. Works like a charm, no need to mess around while cutting out.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 7/17/12 3:55 PM

I learned first to cut notches outward, then I started to just snip inward, then I made a few clothing items that were unwearable from the start because I needed to let them out and the snips turned into holes at the seams. So now, I notch them outward again.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 2
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 8
New Projects started in 2014: 8
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 11.25
bought in 2014: 38.75

jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

In reply to sings2high <<

Date: 7/17/12 4:42 PM

Quote: sings2high
I learned first to cut notches outward, then I started to just snip inward, then I made a few clothing items that were unwearable from the start because I needed to let them out and the snips turned into holes at the seams. So now, I notch them outward again.

I remember my home ec teacher was very precise. I remember kids snickering when she had us use the BACK of the butter knife (and it had to be the BACK because it was STRAIGHT) to level off measuring cups. I now use this technique for cooking a recipe for the first time - then I mix it up on my own subsequent times.

And so I think that's why she was having us cut the notches outward. I don't remember every lecture or what she said (gosh, this was well over 20 years ago), so she may have said why or what not. I don't remember. I just remember a kid getting marks taken off because they didn't cut the notches - even after the project was finished and it had turned out fine. Talk about being EXACT!

I guess this post is re-inforcing my habit of cutting outward. Although I like Courtney's technique of putting the pattern on heavy duty craft paper and punching holes out in order to mark pattern markings. That's a technique I've not heard of and may try it.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 7/17/12 8:44 PM

I cut notches outward - ALWAYS! Occasionally I don't cut them at all, but that's just if I know what they are and know I don't need to match them up.

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

mary in FL
star
mary in FL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 4/28/02
Send Message

In reply to jynclr <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/17/12 9:29 PM

Instead of cutting notches either in or out, I cut the fabric straight across, but I cut the paper notches in. I use a marker to show the notch location:
From bk 5047

------
from Daytona Beach, FL
http://mary-sews.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Cutting notches for patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Butterick 5057

photo
by: RadarRadia...

Review

Pattern

McCall's 6650

photo
by: trinicity

Review
Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Zip Away Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Zip Away Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.