Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > Do I still need/use a serger ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do I still need/use a serger
Singer 14u234B
mollycoomer
star
mollycoomer  Friend of PR
Beginner
MI
Member since 8/26/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 7/17/12 11:08 PM

After asking endless questions from members of this site, and updating my membership, I ended up buying a Pfaff Expression 2046 on e-bay. Then, because of unusual circumstances, I bought a Pfaff Creative 2140/2170. Because I don't need alot of machines I'm in the process of trying to sell my Singer 99, 403-A, and 15-91.I'm keeping the Featherweight my husband bought me for Christmas. Earlier I'd bought the Serger at an estate sale for $50. With both of the Pfaffs, do I really need a serger also? I haven't had a chance to really try it out due to illness & my daughter's upcoming wedding. I hesitated to put the 15-91 up for sale as it's really nice, but can't really justify having so many sm.Any comments/advice welcome & thanks for all of your prior comments.I love having the advice of so many experienced sewers.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 7/18/12 0:48 AM

Who says you have to justify so many sewing machines? Some on here would say that you have a only a handful.

I don't have a serger, but why don't you try it and get used to it before you decide to give it away. You might find that you do have uses for it.

------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate

Update: soon I will decide when I will begin procrastinating.

Tarrbaby
Tarrbaby  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/28/06

Date: 7/18/12 7:24 AM

I would NEVER do without a serger. I do mostly garment sewing, and alterations. The serger is a different animal and does many things that a reg sewing machine can't match.

------
Dawn T.

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
ON CANADA
Member since 6/22/07

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 7/18/12 7:43 AM

AS A SEWING TEACHER, I HAVE TOLD MANY PEOPLE THAT FOR GOOD BASIC CLOTHING PRODUCTION ALL YOU REALY NEED IS A GOOD BASIC MACHINE AND A SERGER.
I STILL STAND BY THAT, AND SEW AT MY TRAILER WITH A 3 THREAD SERGER AND A 1949 SINGER STRAIGHT STITCH. IT IS A LITTLE SLOWER, BUT THE PRODUCT IS GOOD.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to mollycoomer <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/18/12 8:24 AM

Once being one of the few non-serger owners and now owning one, I'm not sure how I lived without it. I have several sewing machines and an embroidery machine-- nine in all at last count, and the serger, making ten (well, I have two sergers...). My machines do things such as hem and stitch, much like the serger. But I really like the finished seam edges the serger does. Recently, I finished 649 yards of fabric for curtains for a local spa. If I had to fold over and stitch that fabric into hems, I'd still be sewing instead of writing this.

Of course, there are things the serger does that a machine can't or will take a lot of time to do. Then there are things the machine does that the serger can't do. The issue for me is space. I like to keep the serger up, but it has to be at the end of my sewing desk; at least for now. I'd much rather have it on a rolling cart, but until I can redesign my sewing room, it's got to be on the end of my desk.

Although I might get shouted at here, I don't desire or nor want nor need a coverstitch machine. If I didn't have machines that do a blind hem, (one of my sergers does it as well), then maybe. But that's another machine I would have to find a place for in an already small sewing space.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Lindy Ann
Lindy Ann  Friend of PR
Advanced
KS USA
Member since 1/26/12

In reply to mollycoomer <<

Date: 7/18/12 2:24 PM

I have had a serger (Brother 1034) for just 2 years. I sewed with just a standard machine for 50 years before that. I currently have an Elna Quilters Dream, which I like and intend to keep.
Since I got the serger, my sewing quality has gone up greatly and I've done several kinds of things I never before attempted. The serger would be worth it if I only finished seams, but that's a small part of what I do with it. The serger also makes very quick work of big projects.
It took me a little while to feel comfortable with it, and I'm still learning more ways to use it. I'd never part with it now that I see what it does.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11

Date: 7/18/12 2:32 PM

I used a Kenmore that I bought in 1980 up until a year and a half ago. I bought a Brother 1034 serger last summer. I wish that I had bought it a long time ago. Of course, now I own 2 other sm machines. If I were you, I would try to use the serger to see if you like it.
A serger does some things better than any of the sms I have.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 5/17/12

Date: 7/19/12 0:21 AM

I have owned sergers for years, the latest being the Baby Lock Evolution. It does 86 different stitches including the coverstitch hem. As others have stated, it does things my other machines cannot do. I have an older Viking and a new Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold machine. I am a garment/home dec sewer and dabble with quilting and now embroidery, thanks to the Ellisimo. I definitely would not be without a serger.
Truly, you need to give the serger a try. There is a class on PR called "Break your serger out of the box" - maybe you should check it out!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
Babylock Coverstitch (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

Date: 7/19/12 4:05 AM

A serger is such a great machine for so many uses I couldn't sew without one. Miss Fairchild - a cover stitch is a nice accessory but you are right - you can live without it

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08

Date: 7/19/12 7:18 AM

What do y'all recommend for SIMPLE but hardy affordable Serger for gift--busy mom who doesn't have a lot of time to learn, but wants to do basic kid sewing? I see a lot on Craig's list, figure some of them were too hard to deal with.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Do I still need/use a serger

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Marfy 1441 Sporty Jacket
photo
Review by julesberry on 11/20/07
Read Review

Christine Jonson Patterns A-Line Dress Digital Pattern
Christine Jonson Patterns A-Line Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Family Reunion Dress Digital Pattern (Size 5-12)
Oliver + S Family Reunion Dress Digital Pattern (Size 5-12)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

HotPatterns HP108 Geisha Girl
photo
Review by myrayerets... on 11/11/09
Read Review

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Miranda Day Bag
Miranda Day Bag

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8499 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )
Vogue 8499 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $25.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6049 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16-18 )
New Look 6049 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16-18 )

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN