Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Contest Discussions > August 2012 Challenge Contest -- Official Thread ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
August 2012 Challenge Contest -- Official Thread
August 1st - 15th, 2012
SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB CANADA
Member since 4/8/08
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 7/18/12 10:20 AM

Here it is -- the much anticipated reveal of the August 2012 Two Week Challenge Contest.

I am Sheila (SheBear0320) and will be your contest manager for this Challenge.

Your Challenge is to make a handbag either of your own design or from a pattern. Your handbag must have a lining, interfacing, and some kind of closure. You have two weeks to plan and order any required components before the challenge contest begins.

Following are the complete rules for this contest as well as the general rules for contests on Pattern Review.

Contest-Specific Rules:
Between August 1st and August 15th cut, sew and review a handbag of your choice and enter it in the contest.
1) A commercial pattern or self drafted pattern may be used. Patterns may be new or already in your stash, however, handbag must be created during the contest time frame (August 1-15).
2) A lining is required
3) A closure of some sort is required (snaps, magnetic snaps, flap with snaps, zippers, button and loop closure)
4) Use of interfacing to make it a structured bag is required. It can be a slouchy bag also, but interfacing is still required.
5) Purchased handles including purchased straps are allowed. Recycled handles / straps are allowed.
6) Use of hardware is optional but is encouraged.
7) Grocery bags are not included in this contest.
8) Voting will begin August 17th and end August 31st.

General Rules for all Contests:
1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest, however, fabric for contest item may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably with a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.
6. Voting will begin on the second day after the contest closes and will be open for two weeks.

Contest Eligibility:
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period). For this contest, first-place winners from the following contests are NOT eligible to win:

Pattern Stash 7/31/12
One Pattern Many Looks 6/30/12
Natural Fabrics End date 5/30/12
One Yard Wonders End Date 5/15/12
Best Patterns End Date 5/15/12
RTW Contest End date 4/30/12
Vintage Contest End date 4/16/12

The first- and second-place winners will be decided by member vote.

Guidelines for Voting on Contests:
Some tips for narrowing down your votes:
1. How well does the item fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
4. Is the review complete and well written?
5. Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.
8. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.

Prizes for this contest are:

First prize : Threads DVD Archive
Second Prize: Threads Fitting DVD

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them or will contact the Contest Committee for their input.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to work on for this Challenge.

I'm going to try to sew along with you, but I have 4 skating costumes and a ballroom gown to work on and I'm also away at a competition from August 9th to 12th so we'll see how much gets done -- I have a denim bag I want to do so this just might be the push I need to actually work on it.

-- Edited on 7/18/12 10:23 AM --
-- Edited on 7/18/12 12:20 PM --

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
25.125 yards sewn (as of 04/16/14)
20.125 yards purchased (as of 04/16/14)

SheBear0320
star
Advanced
MB CANADA
Member since 4/8/08

Date: 7/18/12 10:21 AM

Just wanted to reserve this post for FAQ's related to the contest. I will post answers to common questions and clarification of the rules in this post.

Frequently Asked Questions/Clarifications:

Size & Purpose of Bag: The size and purpose are not factors for the purposes of this contest. The goal of this Challenge Contest is to make a structured bag, that includes a full lining, is at least partially interfaced, and uses some kind of closure.

Handles: Handles are not required. When handles are used they can be purchased handles or you can make them (straps, filled handles, etc)

How to Enter Contest & Link Review: This information had been posted on page 16 in response to a question. Thought I would compile the info here and post for others to reference:

First off join the contest and then write your review as follows:

To write and post your review go to the Review Gallery -- at the top of the Gallery there is a red button for "Write a Review" -- click on this and follow the instructions on the template. First select the pattern company (if yours isn't in the list then you can choose Other or Self-Drafted Pattern). Then select a pattern number -- if your pattern doesn't have a number, you can create one ... for my self-drafts or no-patterns, I usually put the year first and then a consecutive number; e.g 2012-01)

Next step is to select where your photo is coming from -- I always use the PR Album so someone else will have to help if you are doing Flicker or some other host.

Click on Find in the lower right of the template -- your next screen will give you the option to write the review and there is a template provided.

Once finished the review you can post it and then:

To enter the contest you must go to the "all contests" on the lower left column of the main page. This will bring up the list of contests currently running on PR.

Go to the main contests page and click on the Handbag Contest icon/graphic which will take you to the Contest Report Page. Click on "Enter Items" -- when the form comes up you can enter the pattern information in the appropriate field -- you will then get an option to pick one of your reviews. Select the appropriate one for the contest and fill out the remainder of the fields and hit submit when done.

You will then be entered.

HTH

This is how I enter contests -- not sure if there is a different/better way but this is what works for me (make note that I am definitely NOT computer savvy so I have to find what works the best for me and write it down because I definitely won't remember from one time to the next).

-- Edited on 7/19/12 10:21 AM --
-- Edited on 8/13/12 12:48 PM --

------
Sheila

LDT2011
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11

Date: 7/18/12 10:57 AM

Would a drawstring closure be allowed?

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 5/11/08

Date: 7/18/12 11:07 AM

Oh, what fun! A handbag is the perfect project for me to practice some techniques and add in some wild elements not found in my clothing. I have so many ideas for what I'd love to sew, including Marcy Tilton's newest bag pattern. Off to look around the sewing studio...

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

SheBear0320
star
Advanced
MB CANADA
Member since 4/8/08

In reply to LDT2011 <<

Date: 7/18/12 12:21 PM

A drawstring closure would be fine as long as the handbag meets the other requirements (interfacing and lining).

------
Sheila

SheBear0320
star
Advanced
MB CANADA
Member since 4/8/08

In reply to marec <<

Date: 7/18/12 12:23 PM

Which one are you thinking of doing -- I like the line drawings for B and D.

------
Sheila

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 5/11/08

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 7/18/12 3:10 PM

I really like the detail of D, and the size of B. All the bags are ginormous in this pattern, and in fact look a bit like portfolio covers to me. I think I'll be mixing and matching from the views we have talked about.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Sew Whatever
star
Sew Whatever  Friend of PR
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 7/18/12 5:20 PM

I have a pattern I drafted for a lightweight rucksack/handbag. I want one for taking to sewing shows as my back and neck really suffer after a bit. the first mock up was slightly too small for all my glasses cases (Sunglasses, longdistance, bifocals...) plus purse and inhaler. So, I sent it to my 10 y. o. neice and apparently she uses it everyday for school.
So I never got around to adapting and making up one that will suit. there were a few other changes I want to make. I even have fabric!

I had planned to make it like a handbag but convertable to backpack. It has all the characteristics described. A bit like this but different!
I think this might work for this contest. I hope? especially as the contest finishes just before I go off to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham where it will come in very handy! I can't start till we get back from holiday about the 5th, but should manage to make it work.

If you think it won't do, please let me know?
-- Edited on 7/18/12 5:25 PM --

------
Sandy in the UK
A practitioner of the Chop, Chop, Sew, Sew method of sewing
(otherwise known as Make It Up in Your Head!)

SheBear0320
star
Advanced
MB CANADA
Member since 4/8/08

In reply to Sew Whatever <<

Date: 7/18/12 5:27 PM

The style will definitely work as long as it meets all the other criteria for the contest.

What kind of fabric would you be using?

------
Sheila

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 10/29/03
online now

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 7/18/12 6:25 PM

I'm definitely in for this contest! I love making bags & had already decided it was time to make a new one for myself. I'm thinking about something along this style. Maybe using this pattern (view C, the red one) as my starting point. Now, to pick out the fabric(s). Can't wait to get started!

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> August 2012 Challenge Contest -- Official Thread

Merchants on PR
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

Butterick 5886
photo
Review by Nenewhis on 6/12/13
Read Review

Vogue 1162 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )
Vogue 1162 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2660 Pattern ( Size 10-18 )
Simplicity 2660 Pattern ( Size 10-18 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 7359 SHIRT
photo
Review by LTC on 9/16/12
Read Review

Victory Simone Top and Dress Digital Pattern
Victory Simone Top and Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Lazy Days Skirt (FREE!)
Lazy Days Skirt (FREE!)

Details
Price: $0
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victory Simone Paper Pattern
Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Details
Price: $14.25
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN