SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Buying a regular computer on very limited funds ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Buying a regular computer on very limited funds
Any recommendations?
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 9:14 AM

We have a Dell all in one at the moment & it is 2 years old but I am sick of taking it into the shop do to the constant locking up problem. The Control/alt /delete does not work & the only way to boot it back up is to unplug the whole thing for at least 5 minutes. Now it is doing this 2 , 3 , 4 times a day. Whatever we are working on is gone & you have to start all over again! DH is taking online college classes & has limited time to do his assignments so it is particularly irritating/aggravating when it does this. We do have anti virus I do a scan twice a day even now & I have been de-fraggmenting every day too. ........... still does it!!

So something has gotta give! I am going to have to raid the Brother 1034D serger fund ...AGAIN... sigh. sniff sniff so it is very limited budget. ..... ......

Thanks for any advice. .............. oh this stupid thing here we go again...........

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/20/12 9:32 AM

Kitty, our desk top is a Dell, Windows Vista o/s, and has done exactly the same thing since we had it, 4 years ago. There are some websites we have to completely avoid, as the computer freezes, and a re-boot is then required. Can't even cut and paste without it freezing. We live with it, even if it is annoying, but we bought an Acer lap-top Windows 7 o/s, as spare, and have had no problems with that one, no matter what website we go to, or what we do on it. Our youngest son is an IT guy, and raves about Acer, but hasn't a kind word for Dell. Don't think it's a virus/defrag problem, just Dell computers are not so hot these days.

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 9:40 AM

Do you have anyone who might be able to help you build a machine? DH built our last computer using parts from Tiger Direct. They sell completed units too. We've been happy with buying stuff from them, you can go through Ebates for additional savings as well. Hope you guys find something suitable soon, maybe even avoiding taking funds out of the serger fund.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

GrandmaNewt
GrandmaNewt
Intermediate
NV
Member since 6/5/10
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 9:47 AM

This is actually a good time of year if you have to buy a new computer...all the good back to school sales should be starting soon.

Watch the ads, especially at places like walmart for sales. Sounds to me like you just need the actual computer, not a package deal with a monitor so that should save you a little bit too. Besides sales, Walmart also has refurbished boxes on their website, that can also help you save. The only brand I personally wouldn't touch is an E-machine, those tend to be nothing but trouble in most cases.

Hubby bought me a Lenovo brand computer last year. I had never heard of that brand, but so far its been really good to me. Good luck in your computer search!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 9:58 AM

If you are near a Best Buy, there are sometimes terrific values - DH got an ASUS CPU (TOL if you ask a techie) for under 400 last year - last of that model they had - you probably have a monitor, mouse, keyboard already, so look around for a deal on a good CPU. Another terrific brand is Lenovo, but they are pricey. A used Mac can be a good buy as well, but they are usually pricey as well. On the Apple store web site they have refurbs and that's the way to go with a Mac. A Mac refurb is going to come with a new machine warranty and has been completely vetted.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 10:14 AM

This computer is a screen/brain box combo. So when we get one it will need a brain box & screen & probably keyboard as our keyboard is linked into this computer... I am not computer savy so I am not sure how it works but when the main computer freezes so does the keyboard. ......... Grrr..........!!!
Also my 3 month printer Died already too! ... what a waste that was!!! .... I am going back to the old brand even if the ink is cheaper! ........ The printer we can be without for now as library makes copies for cheapo. ......... But this computer ... Grrr....!!!

------
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers.

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer <<

Date: 7/20/12 10:16 AM

Yes that is it! Why does it do it right in the middle of an E-mail? Or I can be here & it freezes ? Or the middle of DH class it will freeze. .... And that ever famous ... Proxy error message & then it is not apparently frozen but you cannot go anywhere! Grrr.....!!! ........... I do not think DH knew Dell went in the drain .... he thought it was a good deal. ......NOT>...

Thank you for posting........ I guess we can live with it a little while longer but long term it is really maddening! ...

------

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/20/12 10:24 AM

I buy a Dell laptop from their outlet every few years. The one I bought 4 years ago is still working acceptably.

Dell Outlet laptops

I go to that link and sort from lowest price to highest. I find the best prices with highest memory/processors early in the morning (I check around 5 am daily when I'm in the hunt.)

The last laptop I bought was right before Thanksgiving. I paid $299, got free shipping and the laptop has 4 GB RAM, an AMD P-360 Dual Core processor (not state of the art but not shabby by any means), Windows 7 Home premium with Office starter software, a web cam, 14" display, and 250 GB hard drive.

I had to search for about a week to find it.

More important is to keep your computer running well by installing virus protection and software to keep spyware and malware away. I like to do a fresh reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows every six months. If you learn to do it yourself (see if your current computer has reinstall disks - if you're going to buy a new one anyway it can't hurt to try! Or use your old computer to learn these skills) you'll save yourself enough money over the life of the computer from tech fees to buy lots of sewing goodies!

------
Mary

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
AR USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 7/20/12 10:27 AM

Sorry for your troubles. I loved our Dell and it served us well until its operating system was too outdated for the newer programs.

Does your state government offer surplus sales? You might want to check with your secretary of state. That's an opportunity for the general public to buy all kinds of used goods, ranging from office furniture and smallish appliances to electronics, which government agencies need to get rid off. Things are often still in good shape; sometimes it's junk. With computers, when I worked for state goverment, our IT folks explained to us that there was a 3-year warranty on all PCs and it was financially more advantageous to depreciate those goods over three years and then buy new, rather than deal with aging equipment. You and I might still do well with a 3-year-old PC.

Maybe that would be an idea for you.

Claudia

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 7/20/12 10:41 AM

Quote: marymary86
I like to do a fresh reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows every six months. If you learn to do it yourself (see if your current computer has reinstall disks - if you're going to buy a new one anyway it can't hurt to try! Or use your old computer to learn these skills) you'll save yourself enough money over the life of the computer from tech fees to buy lots of sewing goodies!

This would be a good thing to try. I used to reformat my Dell on occasion, when it was acting stupid. Your computer gets set back to how it was when you got it. Be sure to copy all your files of documents, photos, etc. that you want to keep onto a flash drive or something because they will be erased. You can call Dell tech support and they will walk you through the process, help you every step of the way.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Buying a regular computer on very limited funds

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Burda 7866

photo
by: biink

Review
Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.