SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sew Alongs > Bombshell Dress Sew along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bombshell Dress Sew along
Anyone else signed up for the Bombshell dress at Craftsy?
Nancywin
starstarstarstar
Nancywin  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 7/25/06
Send Message

Date: 7/22/12 10:20 PM

I am taking the "Bombshell" class at Craftsy.com. I signed up for it months ago, but only had time to watch the first 9 lessons. A couple of weeks ago I decided to get started. I am a little frustrated with the Craftsy online community. I love the platform of the classes and the videos are clear and informative. The problem is that there is very little discussion, I've never had a question answered, and it is sometimes difficult to navigate the sight. All that said, I still think the class is very good and worth the money. I think I'd just rather discuss it over here! Is any one else taking this class? Would you like to sew along? You can follow my progress at Encue Creations

------
blog: encue.blogspot.com

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6)

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/23/12 7:31 AM

I am not taking the Bombshell class although I am taking the Couture Dress class. I found the video and the instructions very helpful and I have learned so much that I truly had no clue. So far I have not posted anything but most likely will in the future. I truly hope you find someone to sew along with you for the Bombshell class.

Nancywin
starstarstarstar
Nancywin  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 7/25/06
Send Message

Date: 7/23/12 9:04 AM

I am signed up for the Couture dress as well, but want to finish this one first. I've watched many of the videos from Susan's class and am anxious to start that one also.

------

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Symon
Symon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CANADA
Member since 9/17/11
Send Message

Date: 7/23/12 6:22 PM

I am taking the class too, and have gotten about half way through so far... I'm blogging it rather than joining in on the Craftsy discussion, so feel free to drop by and share your thoughts too!www.symondezyn.wordpress.com

Nancywin
starstarstarstar
Nancywin  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 7/25/06
Send Message

Date: 7/24/12 11:08 AM

Symon - yours is looking great! I don't know how many revisions I've done on the muslin, but I know it's at least 5. I even did some changes to the stitch lines on the cups after they were cut out! Hoping to get the bodice outer fabric sewn together today.

------

Symon
Symon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CANADA
Member since 9/17/11
Send Message

In reply to Nancywin <<

Date: 7/25/12 1:13 PM

Oh yes, I had to redraft the entire bust area on mine LOL... I gave myself an entire week for fitting, cause I wanted to ensure I got this dress just perfect! It's a lot of work to put in for a dress that doesn't fit just so ^__^

Nancywin
starstarstarstar
Nancywin  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 7/25/06
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 9:24 AM

Well, I still haven't sewn the outer bodice together, but it's ready to go. I need to measure and order my boning today.

------

Diahn
star
Diahn  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 6/27/05
Send Message

In reply to Nancywin <<

Date: 7/26/12 6:03 PM

Quote: Nancywin
I've never had a question answered, and it is sometimes difficult to navigate the sight.

I think I'd just rather discuss it over here!

Hi Nancy,

I received your message on my blog on this topic. I'm sorry you didn't receive any response to your questions on Craftsy. It seems like Gertie has gone on to other things since this class (like teaching the second Craftsy class, buying a house, and most recently, promoting her new book). I always feel bad when I see questions go unanswered like that.

They have made updates to the Craftsy site lately, but I'm not sure that any of them were improvements for user friendliness. I've not tried to take notes online, but apparently many people confuse that function with the option to post a question, so you end up with random messages if you try to pore through the Q&A's for info. Also, it doesn't highlight the topics that you have read so it's hard to keep track and find your place while clicking back and forth for the answers.

I'm glad you decided to post on this forum. Please feel free to post your questions. I'm sure you're more likely to get help here.

------
http://seamslikeparadise.blogspot.com/

Sickofitcindy
star
Sickofitcindy
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/1/08
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 7:13 PM

I'm at the lining/boning stage so perhaps I can help?

Nancywin
starstarstarstar
Nancywin  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 7/25/06
Send Message

In reply to Sickofitcindy <<

Date: 7/29/12 6:52 PM

Well, after multiple changes to the muslin, the outer shell of the bodice is finished. I've ordered my boning and am waiting for it to arrive. It seem to me that the little piece of selvedge that she has you sew to the V at the CF is for the purpose of no fraying at that V. If this is so, why would you not use a bias strip which would not fray and would go around the V more easily? I don't think you need to stabilize this seam with something like twill tape or selvedge because there will be no stress on that seam.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Bombshell Dress Sew along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Butterick 5825

photo
by: Nadalynn

Review
Maggie

Maggie

More Info
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.