SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > packing up my machines & fabric ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
packing up my machines & fabric
Mom to 5
star
Mom to 5
Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 7/24/12 8:42 AM

its been months since I finished a project and at least 6 to 8 weeks since I even sat down at a machine....
I came home the other day & one of my sons & my cat were balled up together is some flannel from my stash.... my sewing room has turned into my husband's dumping ground ( because the storage room where all of his tools & crap is overflowed)
I dont want my things ruined...

Also, Im involved in an extreme weightloss program ( I exercise 3 hours a day plus special diet) work outside the home 8 hours...take the kids to ball practice & piano lessons and now am teaching music ( vocal) 3 days a week

and with ALL of that, my lower level ( split forum house) where my sewing room is located, is set to be remodeled before winter ( complete gut down to studs, new electricity lines, insulation, sheetrock, etc)
I dont expect to have time to sew til at least after New Years ( by that time I will be down several dress sizes as well and then "only" exercising one hour a day)

despite all of that, I got sad when I started pulling out boxes to store this.... ehhhhh

I'll still lurk & post on the board during downtime at work.....you guys keep me company many times when I need some "me" time

------
http://mamazsewingescapadez.blogspot.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/24/12 10:19 AM

Feeling a little like Push me, Pull You ?

Keep at least one machine and sewing notions on hand for emergencies and occasional "mental health days"!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 7/24/12 10:44 AM

wow, that is a lot going on in your life. We all wish you luck. Go ahead and box it up, get rid of fabric if that get your more room (you can always buy more and your tastes might change). And I agree, box one machine and most frequently used sewing supplies in one box so you can use it if/when you feel the urge. You are welcome to lurk here all you want.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 7/24/12 11:36 AM

Wow, Mom sure deserves to design her own get-away/hands-off sewing room in that new basement. Demand your rights!

The "sewing spaces" photos thread on here will give you lots of ideas. I'm jealous of those with their own complete attics....

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 7/24/12 3:02 PM

I know what that's like! Because of my work schedule, I often have months where I don't have a minute to sew. I feel better if I just pack everything up and put it away. It's easy enough to grab the machine if I need something, but when all my supplies and projects are out, I feel bad when I can't work on them.

Enjoy all the exciting changes going on in your life, and have fun with the totally no-pressure, clutter-free, and incredibly cheap hobby of Thinking About Sewing! :D

------
~Gem in the prairie

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/24/12 7:34 PM

What I am doing right now is packing some projects into totes with the pattern and all the notions needed to complete it. One machine is accessible.

I have managed to come close to completing a quilt top by doing this. I have another tote for a project I want to make for my nephew and nieces.

I know about now having enough time, I worked 6 days a week for 18 months and it looks like I will be having to find another job in September.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to Michelle T <<

Date: 7/24/12 7:48 PM

Quote: Michelle T
What I am doing right now is packing some projects into totes with the pattern and all the notions needed to complete it. One machine is accessible.

I have managed to come close to completing a quilt top by doing this. I have another tote for a project I want to make for my nephew and nieces.

This is slightly OT, but I started doing the same thing a few years ago, and it was the single BEST thing I've ever done for my sewing organization!! I'm a person with seriously longterm projects and no dedicated sewing room (and the aforementioned multi-month gap between sewing time when I pack everything away). It used to take me all my allotted time just to *find* everything I needed to work on a project! Now I just need to grab a bin, a machine, and my sewing kit (a small, portable box where my pincushion, marking tools, thread snips, seam ripper, tape measure, etc always live), and I'm ready to dive back in.

------
~Gem in the prairie

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/24/12 10:17 PM

Since you said it makes you sad to pack everything away for now, could you take up a hand sewing project? My favorite is French handsewing (making heirloom clothing by hand using Swiss laces and Swiss batiste). It's immensely satisfying ...

Just a thought.

------
Mary

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 7/25/12 9:25 AM

This is a timely post for me! I have had the use of a small room for a good while now, but it needs to be used as a bedroom. I will pack up my 'stuff' (I have been trying to sew down 'stash' with limited success ) and store it in the wardrobe in the spare room, and pull stuff out when I want to sew something up. I will have to get started and organised though!!

------
Reading from Europe

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 11:41 AM

I have been thinking about this (though not sewing much ) and it occurs to me that what I need to do for the next while is sew TNTs. Or, develop TNTs! I won't have much room to spread out and think about stuff, but I will be able to sew a bit, and I think mentally I would be better off not trying anything too complicated .

------
Reading from Europe

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> packing up my machines & fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

More Knits
More Knits

Register

Vogue Patterns 8414

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Butterick 5824

photo
by: Pamaro

Review
9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

Buy Now
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.