SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Serger Confusion! ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Serger Confusion!
littleroosmama
littleroosmama
Member since 7/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/25/12 10:05 AM

I am needing some advice on sergers...I'm in the market for a different one and am looking now at a Bernina 800DL and a Baby Lock Imagine. Any pros or cons on those or advice on another kind????? I do quite a bit of sewing and want a good quality serger but don't wanna spend $ for extra bells and whistles etc. if you know what i mean...I have read lots of good reviews about BL...are you paying for the name or is it a really gd machine as well? One more question..is it worth the $ you save to go used and if so what would be a reasonable price for these machines? Thanks for any help

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/25/12 10:17 AM

Well, of course I am biased because I absolutely LOVE my BL Evolution.
This is my third serger and I could have saved a lot of money and grief had I bought this one the first time around.
It is so user-friendly that I look for ways to use it - it's a pleasure to work on because it does everything flawlessly...it even often overrides my user errors and sew correctly despite myself.
I say to buy the best BL you can afford, it really is an investment in the future.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 7/25/12 11:17 AM

I have a Babylock Imagine and love it.
The only downside is the small harp space to the right of the needle.

Easy to thread, works everytime. I trust it.

I would get the Enlighten with better lighting though.

Kelly D.
star
Kelly D.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/24/05
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 0:13 AM

Love, love, love my BL Imagine with the air-jet threading! Not only does it have that threading system, it stitches better than my old serger (Bernette 004D) ever did with no adjustments. I was constantly adjusting the tensions on the other machine. I can't believe I waited so long to get the BL.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 1:04 AM

I own the BL Evolution and cannot say enough good things about it. I went in looking at the Imagine and came out with the Evolution and am so glad I did. I use it way more than I ever used my other sergers. It is simply flawless and so easy to use! Go try both brands and you will want a BL. I chose the Evolution over the Imagine and Enlighten because of the lighting, coverstitch and the beautiful wave stitch (I use those two stitches all the time).

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 7:44 AM

The Babylock! I'll never go back to any other serger now that I have the Imagine with jet-air threading and no tension adjustments.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 9:31 AM

I believe that the Bernina sergers are made for them by JUKI, so if you admire the Berninas, why not shop JUKI - they are a leader in the serger field. On the other hand, everyone seems to love the Babylock's! :)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

littleroosmama
littleroosmama
Member since 7/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 11:35 AM

Thanks for the response! I found a gently used Imagine on Craigslist for $400 I thought that was too good to pass up so am just trying to be patient till it gets here and see if I like or rather LOVE it as much as every other imagine owner:-)) The more I researched the more i found out BL and especially Imagine or Evolution was the ONLY way to go Been waiting and researching and looking for so long, now not sure I can wait a couple days for it to get here LOL

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to littleroosmama <<

Date: 7/26/12 11:52 AM

Wonderful! Here's hoping it's everything you could wish for.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to littleroosmama <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/26/12 12:54 PM

So glad to see your most recent post! I was just about to throw my two cents in.

Have a fantastic vintage Pfaff.
Have a still new, two years, Bernina combo sewing/embroidery machine.
Have a very new Baby Lock serger, almost two weeks.

I've given this some thought this week and concluded that the wiser purchase order for me would have been.

Fantastic vintage Pfaff on hand.
Then purchase superb serger.
And, lastly, purchase the combo sewing/embroidery machine.

The question about which serger and when comes up often. If someone wants my advice in the future, I'm going to recommend this sequence for equipping a sewing room; extremely reliable no frills sewing machine, best serger you can acquire, then, add other equipment.

My Bernina combo machine does fantastically well with knits. The new Baby Lock serger is amazing with knits, and everything else I have tried. Haven't had much time on it, but the four thread overlock on my viscose knit with just plain serger thread (wooly nylon was recommended for one of the threads, I didn't have any) is absolutely amazing. Stretch the fabric and the stitching stretches right with it. Release, stretch, release, over and over. No distortion of fabric or stitching, everything snaps back perfectly each time.

The deeply curved serpentine trials were the bomb!!! I have the serger with the bigger feet and found that the very tight outside curves need a little assist. I'm going to put an angled rubber tip on a chopstick for that. Beautiful stitching and still retained all the fabric stretch with no stretching or distortion.

Just for fun, I turned those trial pieces - impossible - they turned and the finished seams were just right. This was just scrap viscose/lycra with nothing snipped or prepared. Zoom, zoom

You're going to love your Imagine.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Serger Confusion!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Suitability 4188

photo
by: Jupiter, F...

Review
No Pattern Used 0111

photo
by: AnitaJJ

Review
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.