SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Screw on Seam Guides for Piecing ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Screw on Seam Guides for Piecing
Bernina compared to Janome
SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 10:59 AM

Ok, so my Bernina screw on seam guide I use for piecing is 1" long. I use it with the 37D foot. I had the 57D but decided I preferred the 37D with this guide better, so I sold the 57D.

CJ recommended the industrial Juki guide, which is $9.99 but he wants $15 to ship it!! No way!! I found a Janome guide that is 3" long for $9.99 free shipping at Ken's Sewing Center. It came in 4 days. The difference between them is minimal. The Bernina one is flat against the bed of the machine and the Janome one is raised. My Bernina screw worked just fine and the Janome ones fit as well (it comes with 2 screws - different lengths).

What do you use when piecing?
-- Edited on 7/26/12 11:00 AM --

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 7/26/12 11:10 AM

I have an old Singer guide, looks exactly like your small Bernina one. I really like the look of the Janome one, though. Could I use that on my Juki? Can I find one here in the UK? Off to look....

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer <<

Date: 7/26/12 11:18 AM

I am sure you could as long as the screw fits your Juki or one from your Juki is long enough since the guide is raised.

Janome Part Number 200100100

Hope this helps!!

------
~Diana~

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer <<

Date: 7/26/12 11:24 AM

I just checked and Ken's does ship internationally.

------
~Diana~

seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 7/26/12 11:26 AM

Thank you, we must have both looked at Ken's at the same time
I can't find anything here, so just emailed Janome UK to see if they have one. Will wait for their reply before I try Ken's.

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 6:39 PM

does this sit next to the foot, or in front of it?

I use the #57 foot on my Bernina 630. I like the 57 fine for quilting. Sometimes I would like an adjustable that sits in front of the foot, since I use many different SA when making garments, and it seems like this would make it easier to remember which SA I'm working with. I've used post-its and the rubberband-around-the-free-arm, but would love to have that 3D bump that those guides seem to have...

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to quathy <<

Date: 7/26/12 6:45 PM

It sits next to the foot.

------
~Diana~

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 7:33 PM

I use these on my Singer 15-91 : Scotch Restickable Mounting Strips

along with the Dritz sewing seam guide to accurately mark the seam line.

I have the Bernina guide for my vintage Bernina, and it works fine. Being able to switch from 1/4" piecing to garment sewing is important, so being able to quickly remove and replace a seam guide is important. Having a 3-D guide helps me more than anything to have consistent seams from first to last stitch. Even with the #57 patchwork foot, I would sometimes veer off at the last few stitches.

------
Elizabeth

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 9:17 PM

Since I bought the number 57 foot with guide and like it, what advantage would having this seam guide be for me? For piecing, I have to have something to put the fabric against or I get my seams too wide quickly.

Looks intereting. How well do you like it?
Can you post a picture of your machine with the guide on it? I love visuals.
-- Edited on 7/26/12 9:18 PM --

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 7/26/12 10:04 PM

I have the Singer Janome and Bernina guides. The Janome I don't like as much as the Singer and Bernina guides. The 1/4 O2 Janome foot works for me so I do not have a need for anything additional as far as my 6600 is concerned. I haven't pieced on my Singers but picked up the patchwork guide for my 240 and use it when change piecing.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Screw on Seam Guides for Piecing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

McCall's 6513

photo
by: dizzle

Review
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.